Home Remedies

@Myrrdin (3601)
On replying to another discussion on nausea I got to thinking about home remedies. This is primarily due to the fact that no one responded to the nausea discussion with the advice to take gravol or other nausea medication, but rather a host of home remedy solutions ranging from pepermint to gingerale, to marijuana (my suggestion I must confess). My grandmother's favorite home remedy for pretty much any illness was consume and flat gingerale. The home remedy I use the most often is hot tottie (sp?) a hot totie is a shot of whisky a teaspoon of sugar (I prefer to use honey) and a cup of boiling water, you drink the concoction as quick as possible and then bundle up under as many blankets as you can handle. You then proceed to sweat the illness out of you. I have heard of other home remedies such as honey comb for insomnia and headaches. What are you favorite home remedies?
@jillbeth (2711)
I think "toddy" is the word you are looking for. My first husband swore by the sweating out method, although he didn't drink the hot toddy first. Here is a variation on the idea, but I've never tried it: Hang a hat on the bedpost, get into bed with a bottle of whiskey, and drink until you see two hats! Seriously, though, my personal home remedy for a sore throat or cough is a cup of hot tea with honey in it. If I have a stuffy nose, I'll eat chili or something spicy to make my nose run and unstuff it. I'll do the flat gingerale for an upset stomach, too.
@Myrrdin (3601)
Toddy is correct LOL... I don't think drinking that much whiskey while ill is wise LOL, but that's just me. I use the honey tea idea as well, though I also use a dash of lemon juice, works even better I find.
@CanadaGal (4307)
My favourite home remedy for just about everything is sleep. I despise taking medication for anything, even headaches, and would much rather sleep it off if at all possible. If that doesn't work, then I'll succumb to tylenol. Then there's the dietary alterations for the boys and I when we're sick with a cold... we avoid having too many milk products, and stick to clear fluids and juice... and of course, as much rest and sleep as possible. As a child I was given the flat gingerale to soothe an upset stomach, but I don't recall it working much for me, except that it allowed drinking something that had taste to it, and could kill off the taste of other nastiness.