handle fell off of teflon pan, they don't make them like they used to

@suspenseful (40316)
I decided to make some ham and tomato sandwich so I brought out the teflon pan, not the old teflon, but the new kind, but whereas the finish is nice and hard - it is not the kind where you can use metal utensils - the handles were cheaply made. They have been wiggling for sometime and since I needed a couple of pans for low cal cooking, and I did not have that good amount of money, I had to buy what I could. So finally the handle broke off. My husband had tightened it before, but the question is. Has this happened to you? Have you purchased a pan where the handle does not match or is as steady as the rest of the pan?
@chrislotz (8203)
Yes I have. Like you I purchased a cheap set of teflon frying pans, I think I paid about $30 for a set of three. Of the three frying pans I only have one left. The other two, the handles have broken off too, and I just threw them out because without a handle is pretty much useless to me. I have one left, the biggest one, and I had my husband tighten the screw a couple times on it. And I only had these frying pans for about one year. Your right that they don't make things as strong as they used to. I have one of those cast iron frying pans and it is about 35 years old and it is still the best frying pan in my house. But it is so heavy.
@suspenseful (40316)
I have a ceramic stove and the pan leaves black mark. I might use it for weight lifting though.
@cortney09 (1346)
I have never had that happen to me, but knowing my luck it would happen while I was cooking and I'd end up burning myself. I am just a little bit accident prone. That's why I say that.
@suspenseful (40316)
I am clumsy myself. I was lucky that I did not have to take the pan off the stove. If I had to lift it up, I would be in trouble. Yes break the ceramic top. Not very pleasant, and also scaring everyone in the neighborhood when I let out that bloodcurdling scream.
What really annoys me is when you are finished cooking, are just removing the pot from the stove and the handle comes off. Not only is dinner ruined, but there is also a trip to the emergency room because of burns. Oh, and the mess on the floor! Guess that is why I don't cook anymore! lol.
@suspenseful (40316)
I have not had that happen to me yet, but if it did, I would scream long and loud so the neighbors could hear me, but with my luck, it would be the day they are out and my husband is getting his hair cut. I was lucky, that I was just going to stir the food and move the pan around. So I turned off the heat and went for the potholder and called my husband. He could only do so much.
@Lakota12 (42684)
I have found that the cheap kind all come from China and they are not made all that good either. Now I have worked with all kinds of people and I never saw them doing any sloppy work but now every thing with teflon on it isnt up to what it was and handles can be a pain.I just use a hot pad when the handles fall off thuill I can get a new one have and old teflon pan that I have had for 40 years no handle but I still use it.
@suspenseful (40316)
Well forty years, they made really good ones. Only trouble is that the finish peeled off. But then we could still get the rest of the teflon taken off and the pan still worked, because the handle stayed on. NOw the handle falls off, and the finish is still on because it is baked on.
@Lakota12 (42684)
our teflon peels off in a vey short time but handes stay on ya have to put them on yourself so depends on how well you did it
@suspenseful (40316)
I am not very good at screwing on handles. I guess that is because I am a natural clutch. My husband has to do it, so I took out the old cast iron pans again. Trouble is we have a ceramic stove stop, so it is back to using the baking soda or the ceramic stove top cleaner after every use instead of waiting every two or three days.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Yes, I have had that happen. My husband kept tightening it, but eventually I just threw it away..
@suspenseful (40316)
My husband tightened it twice, and I just tightened it, but I think I will have to save for a real good one. It's too bad I needed a purse at the same time, but I was also reading Weight Watchers and they recommended a teflon pan. At least it is not like the old ones, where the finish peeled off.
Weight Watcher recommends teflon? What about cast iron?
@suspenseful (40316)
Ever tried Cast Iron on a ceramic stove top? It leaves a black mark and you have to get out the baking soda or the ceramic stove cleaner right away after it cools down.
@dragon54u (31617)
That used to happen to me frequently because I always bought cheap pans. This time, for my first house, I decided to get the heaviest cookware I could afford so I chose Farberware. It's been nine months now and nothing is loose! What makes me frustrated is those wonderful little saute pans that are perfect for using when making an egg for one person (me) but there're no lids! When I fry and egg I turn it once then add a little water and put the lid on so the white gets done but the yolk is a bit runny. That's impossible with a lid!
@suspenseful (40316)
My husband got some stainless steel set for me, and it took years before the handles fell off. Then he got me a good set that were welded in. I also got a Kitchen Aid pan that was welded in for one or two people. But I wanted a teflon pan so I would not have to grease it all the time. I never heard to making an egg with the lid on though. My steel pan set has been around for at least five years and still looking brand new, but my teflon pans are already shot, the finish does not work. So I have to get a new set.
@dragon54u (31617)
It's kind of like poaching the egg, using the steam to get the top of it done but not solid. It's very easy. I was just admiring my pots yesterday--sounds strange, I know, but I've always had cheap ones that didn't last. I've had these for a whole year now and they're like new! Teflon is frustrating. I love it but it begins to flake and it's bad for you when it does that. You almost have to replace it every year and at the prices they charge, it's quite an expense. I'm going to experiment with non-teflon finishes and pan spray.
@suspenseful (40316)
Now guess what my stainless steel frying handle came out. It was welded on, but just to the outside of the pan. It lasted me about ten years though. Yet my small Kitchen Aid pan I got as a gift was welded on and so I have to get a larger frying pan. I was thinking of getting a small wok, and a better teflon pan, but that will have to wait. So until then I have to go back to the cast iron frying pan. That is a bummer. Good thing I am not into frying foods. I wonder if you can put cast iron frying pans into the oven.
@zeloguy (4915)
The pans that I use are some OLD pans and the handles are screwed to the pans themselves. There are many times that they have to be tightened but the pans still do me well. Thanks Zelo
@suspenseful (40316)
I like the pans that are now welded. The handles that are just screwed to the pans do come loose. And some of them are not even screwed properly. The teflon pans I had started to come lose, and my husband had to wriggle the handle to get it right.
@zeloguy (4915)
I can kind of see both ways... if it is welded (or part of the pan itself [remember cast iron pans!]) then it will have a much better propability of staying where it is. If it is screwed on it can be manufactured for less money (I would think) and if you wanted to change the handles then you could. Huh... handles to match the decor in the kitchen.... there's a novel idea. Thanks Zelo
@suspenseful (40316)
I would rather pay a lot and get one that lasts forever then pay maybe $20 and get a cheapy. I do have a couple of cast iron pans, and I liked them except that if I did not clean my ceramic stove top regularly, it would get blackened on. So I guess I will have to use them until I get enough money to pay for that large stainless steel pan.
@winterose (39918)
yep the handle of my pan just broke off a few weeks ago too, nope they certainly do not make things the way they used to that is for sure.
@suspenseful (40316)
They sure don't. If you want something to last, you have to pay for it or someone has to send you something for your birthday or Christmas. I do not have that much money to buy pans all the time.
@winterose (39918)
sounds just like me, I have no money at all either.
@suspenseful (40316)
I do have a couple of cast iron pans, so I guess for now they will have to do, but no crepes for a while or pancakes. It is a good thing too. I am trying to lose some weight. I did price some pans, and they were quite reasonable, but I told my husband I do not want to get them right now. (I have to get the last DVds of the Pretender, the DVds of The Profiler I will do not have, the rest of the Stargate series, etc. I delayed getting them. The cast iron pans will do for a few more months.)
@queenofarms (1665)
Yes, my husband had just put down a new linoleum floor. I was cooking hamburgers and lifted the pot to pour the grease off. The handle broke off and the pan fell to the floor upside down..It left a big burn circle in the new floor...The bad part was we were renting this house...Landlord paid for new floor...He wasn't mad though he thought it was funny...
@suspenseful (40316)
It was a good thing that it was on the stove, heating up and I had not put any food in it. So I drained the oil in my stainless steel pan and continued on. Oh didn't you just want to kill the landlord? :) It was a good thing the pan was a gift.
I was jsut happy he didn't have us pay for or replace the floor covering again..
I have never had that happen to me with my teflon ware but then they were fairly expensive. they seem to be very well built and sturdy. I seldom use them as I have got a new microwave and ust it a lot.
@suspenseful (40316)
I got the cheap teflon pans, so it was either a matter of time. Either the finish wears off or the handle falls off. It does get rather annoying. I want things to last like forever. And it was not as if I had money to spare. The only way I could afford them was because my husband gave me a Sears gift card and I had some money left after I bought that really expensive purse.
@writersedge (22579)
Almost all my pans the handles have fallen off. Usually riveted on, so once they wear or bend, their done. The cast iron frying pans were all one mold and they're about the only ones still with handles. Would have never thought to have this as a discussion. Take care
@suspenseful (40316)
I have a couple of cast iron pans, but they are not that good for making crepes or pancakes. I can make stews for them but not crepes. I use my stainless pans for those. They still have the handles because either it was in one piece with the pan or the manufacturer riveted them on, but I did not have that much money left on my gift card after getting that lovely white leather purse, so I had to get the two almost the cheapest teflon pans.
@vanities (11376)
• Davao, Philippines
actually i had bought one recently..just curious i guess if it is really non-stick whatever..coz i want to learned to cook some wrappers use in wrapping lumpia..i had purchased the "sunnex" non-stick teflon made in japan..and i was told by the sales clerk that the handle of it was durable..and not can be easily be broken ..right now its still in good condition...
@suspenseful (40316)
Ah but the handles of these are in still perfect condition. It is just that they can come loose and fall off. A good handle is no good if one day, you lift up the pan, the pan stays on the stove, and you are left holding the handle. Get them welded into the pan so you can see the two metal knobs on the inside of the pan. Then they will not come off.
@KarenO52 (2951)
I have had several pans that had loose handles. Most of the time, I have no trouble tightening the screws when the handles start to get loose. Once I had a pan that had the handle melt off from high heat, and in that case, I just threw the whole pan away, it was old and worn out anyway.
@suspenseful (40316)
These pans you had to tighten them with a special screw driver, it was not the ordinary one. It was the funny shaped one. I am not mechanic and if someone said a regular or a Phillips screwdriver, I would not know what they meant. And I have a husband who always asks me "what did you do?" so I cannot ask him to tighten it all the time.
@cdparazo (5768)
I bought a non-stick pan last year and since I got it cheap, i thought the handle would come off soon since it looked not the durable. However, it's been over a year already and the handle is still tight and showed no sign of coming off. I guess, we were just one of those who got unlucky and got the one with some factory defect. So far, I have been lucky in what I had bought as far as kitchen utensils are concerned since they have lasted more than I expected them to last.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
It has been a while since I have had to shop for those kind of things, but oh how I remember those days. The wobbly handle. Sometimes you were able to repair them and sometimes not. I also remember using them after the handle had already fallen off. When using a pot holder, I had to be very careful that it did not catch fire if I had to rotate the skillet or something of that nature.
@suspenseful (40316)
I cannot see why they do not make them so they do not fall off. Someday some kid is going to grab a handle and I do not mean a little kid, I mean a teenager helping her mother, and the liquid goes all over her. So really this is quite dangerous. Even an extra nut or bolt would help. I could only tighten mine a little bit, and not the whole way. It was like they used some kind of glue that did not react to heat that well.
@byfaithonly (10716)
I can't say I've ever had this happen but it certainly could be dangerous say the pan was full of hot food and the handle broke. I hope you were ok and that this won't happen again. I tend to always end up with those 'cheap' pans that don't last for one reason or another.
@suspenseful (40316)
I was looking for teflon pans the other way. I found that at Walmart, most of them are the type like I had without them welded inside the pan itself. The same thing at Zellers because they are for bargain hunters and I had to fiddle with the cardboard they use to protect the handles (from us seeing if the handles will fall off, because we say, "Oh what a bargain!" I found som with the handles bolted at Superstore, but since I have an HBC Mastercard I will have to go to Home Outfitters and get one when I can afford one. I would hate if the pan got loose if it had been fill of hot water or hot oil.
@Polly1 (12649)
Yes I have, I have to tighten up the handles now and then. I would love to get some new cooking pans. The real good ones, but they cost so darn much. Some of the pans you have to be very careful, you don't want the handle to break while you are moving it with hot food in it.
@suspenseful (40316)
That was the only ones I could afford, but as soon as I can, I will buy a really good one.
@ElicBxn (60884)
I've been working for my client for a year now, and I've tightened the handles of her pans twice, the first time right after I started, it was SO loose, and the second time was back in Jan but it wasn't nearly as loose, I just don't like them like that. I'd guess that nobodied tighten them in the year between the time her first helper left and I started.
@suspenseful (40316)
I remember when I was poor, and we got pans from the second-hand stores and friends who threw them away and I also remember the old teflon pans where the coating peeled off and you did not have to wait until the temperature got up to 500. It peeled off at 400 degrees. I would think with the good finishes on the non stick pans, they could at least pay attention to welding on the handles and coating the inside. I have seen the ones that Rachel Ray uses, and the other cooks on the Food Network, and no one can take them apart.
@anonymili (3138)
Teflon pan - Teflon pan, don't they make them tough anymore?
Golly, a dodgy Teflon pan? What's that all about? No, it's never happened to me to date but what a shocker! They really don't make like like they used to. I've always thought of Teflon as being the real tough stuff of cooking LOL! I mean it's the stuff you can rely on to knock burglars out cold with and then carry on with your cooking whilst you wait for the cops to arrive eh? LOL Don't mean to make light of it, but I'm still surprised about your handle falling off!
@suspenseful (40316)
Well in order for a handle not to fall off, it has to be screwed throough the actual pan and when you see the inside, you will see two screws INSIDE and then they cover the WHOLE inside with the coating. But this was a separate handle just screwed in on the outside. To compare it, think of the cheap old alumimum pots that you now use for camping or the kind you give away to the rummage sales.