Anyone ever had a cat with a cold?

@jovimom (1576)
My poor cat, he just can't get rid of his cold. His eyes look much better, but he's still sneezing and laying around a lot. I would like to find a cheap way(w/o going to the vet) to help him get rid of his cold. I also have another cat, but he hasn't started sneezing yet. My sick cat is over 10 years old. Anyone have any ideas?
@scribe1 (1207)
I'm afraid that you will have to take the cat to the vet. You'll get some medicine to administer to the cat and both you and your cat will feel so much better. My Columbus cat, who's over 10 years old, just could not stop sneezing last year and that drove me crazy. I took him to the vet, got some medicine to administer to him. (The medicine had some penicillin in it.) Well, after a day or two, Columbus stopped coughing and sneezing. The cost of the vet and medicine won't be cheap, but will be worth it in the long run. You will have also decreased the cat's chances of getting an infection in his lungs as well. The sooner that you can take him to the vet, the better. Good luck to you both!
@jovimom (1576)
Well, I'm gonna try the tylenol meltaway thing first, hopefully that will work. I just don't have the money for the vet, I am not working, only my husband is. Thanks for your advice though!
One of my three used to get this all the time-knock on wood, he hasn't come down with it in a year or so!But we did have to take him to the vet and dose him with "THE PINK STUFF" (antibiotics). Loki hates the PINK STUFF, hates being "violated"-(having his temp taken) :), and hates the carrier he goes to the vet in. Which is unfortunate because this week or the next he has to get his shots updated. :( The medicine does the trick, though-and it helps prevent the illness from coming back. Getting the PINK STUFF out of your carpet is another matter...:D
Hey! Thanks! My cat was sneazing alot.. But it didnt look that sick any more.. So i did what you said and gave it a bit of that stuff.. I wasnt sure So i gave it a TINY bit to see what would happen.. turns out that did the trick.. I just put it in its food.. and tada.. Thanks.. that realy helped..
@jovimom (1576)
Hope it works for me too!
I am glad that it worked for you. The vet will tell ya that you can't give an anomal human medicine because they want you to give them money. You can always cure an animal with medicine if you don't overdose. You can always give more in 6 hours but you can't take away. Glad it helped someone.
Jovimom, my cat had the same problem. You may think I am crazy but I used this for my cat. You need to get some Tylenol Cold and Allergy Meltaways or chewables. DO NOT give the cat a whole one though. My cat was probably about 5-7 pounds and I used chewables and gave her a quarter of one about every six hours and it went away. Just get it for Sneezing and itchy watery eyes. It works. I would advice Tylenol brand though if you have to get an off brand just make sure you compare it to the Tylenol and make sure it has the same componets. Oh yeah, you have to put it in the back of the cats throat and hold their mouth shut. They have no choice but to swallow! I know it sounds cruel but just remember it will benefit your feline companion. Better to inflict a little pain than them to die. Also, I did not let my cat outside while she was on the medicine. I was scared it could make her drowsy and so I kept her in for her safety. I hope this helps.
@jovimom (1576)
Interesting, one good thing is neither of my cats go outside anyways. I might try this, Thanks!
Just thought I would try to help. A mere $5 is way better than the $100-$400 the vet will charge for the same thing. Cats hate vets as much as we hate doctors poking and proding and asking does that hurt when you told him where it hurt to begin with.
@jovimom (1576)
Well, bad experience today. I couldn't find the Tylenol meltaways or chewables. I bought Benadryl strips for colds(for kids), major mistake. As soon as I gave it to my cat, he threw up twice and spit up for about 30 minutes. I felt like such a bad kitty mom! He was so mad at me, he hid in the litter box and wouldn't come out! I kept wiping his mouth and he finally quit...poor kitty I really can't afford the vet and I'm afraid to try anything else after this fiasco!