I'm Going to Screw the Election Up

This is what my grandma told me earlier this morning. It would help to know why she said it, so I'll explain. Earlier, I went to the store with my mom and grandma because my mom was getting some extra stuff so she needed an extra cart. I went so I could push that cart. Anyway, at the post office, I picked up a voter registration card and in the truck I read it over. I noticed there wasn't any boxes to check so they know which political party you wanted to be in and I asked my grandma how you sign up for a political party. She told me that when you go up to vote for the first time, they stamp something so they'll know. She asked me what party I wanted to be in and I told her Independant. You see, that way I can vote either Democratic or Republican (I assume that is correct. I don't want to be stuck having to vote for the party candidate if I don't like them.) She said "Oh my God" (in a very disaproving tone) and then told me "You need to go Republican". I didn't get the chance to explain the reason for my choice because she nagged and nagged for over 20 minutes about why I was going to ruin the election. She was saying that all it takes was that one extra vote to decide who will be the president and she kept trying to make me feel guilty. She also kept going on about how Barack Obama is the anti-christ (I'll post that in a new discussion. There's too much about that topic to include in this one). Anyone who has seen any of my responses to other political discussions know how much against the political party system I am. Being Independant to me is like not being part of any party because I have a wider range of choices. That is another reason I plan on going Independant. Is trying to make me feel guilty about my decision fair to me? I still plan on going Independant no matter what she and other family members say. What advice can everyone else give me about this issue?
You need to look your grandmother straight in the eye and tell her that it is none of her business who you vote for, and that you are going to vote the way you want to vote, and that's final. You are going to do what is right for you, and it's YOUR right as a U S Citizen to do so. There's nothing in the constitution about voting the way someone else tells you to vote.
Yes I agree. I don't think I'll tell my grandma THAT though lol. There is enough tension in the family as it is right now. I could always tell her I voted for her candidate even if I didn't. I don't have any trouble lying to her, and if anyone actually met her and spent time with her, they'd understand why. BTW, Canada's awesome! I've never been to Canada because, but my mom lived there many years and her sister is Canadian. I think I feel more national pride for Canada than I do for the U.S., if that's even possible hehe.
@coolseeds (3921)
This is America and you are free to vote as you please regardless if it is for the right person or not. Who ever you feel would best represent you is the way you should vote. My question is who do you vote for when the democrats and republicans give you turds like the last election? I personally believe we should have more candidates. Like the UK, Iraq and so many other countries. But NOOOO we get 2. And usually 2 crappy ones. LOL
Other countries get more than two candidates to vote for?! I wish America was like that!
@anniepa (27238)
My advice is very simple - vote for whomever you choose and if you don't want to tell your grandmother or anyone else who you voted for, that's your business! The only time you need to choose a party affiliation is to vote in your state's primary. I'm not sure how it works in Texas but in Pa. we can only vote in the primary for a candidate of the party in which we're registered, which is how it should be I think. I don't think it's fair from someone from one party to try to have an effect on the nomination of the other party. As far as you feeling guilty, why should you? If you're old enough to vote you're old enough to decide for yourself! Annie
Thanks for the response! You're totally right, it's my business and nobody elses. I know one thing though, if the Republican nominee is anyone other than Ron Paul, I'll be voting Democrat. I just got interested in politics at the end of last year, so I don't know how the Texas primaries work either.
Listen to advice but since everyone is an individual and not the same,vote your choice.I believe you should go independant because thats what you really want to do.I like the saying,live and let live.That kinda sums it up on how I feel about it.