Biggest impact

@Modestah (11192)
What do you think is most likely to make the biggest impact upon our lives as we know it? the economy the fuel crunch pandemic famine weather and why? perhaps they are all interconnected?
@mamasan34 (6521)
Honestly I think it is the fuel crunch at this time. We all have to drive and with gas prices quickly approaching $4 a gallon, and the economy being in a recession and unemployment on the rise, it's getting harder and harder to find the money to fill up old faithful hahaha! I have a Toyota Corrolla which shouldn't take more than $25 to fill up, now taking more than $30 to fill up. My husband's truck is a nightmare because it is a V8 and it takes almost $80 to fill up right now. You can see why I don't drive his truck to often!
I would have to agree with mamasan,i do not drive but i sure do pay for gas LMAO.by the time i pay my bills and buy what is absolutlty neccesary for the biweekly period. all i have left for, is money for gas. These gas prices are crazyness and leaving alot of people in the dumps OR walking everywere they need to go. wich isnt bad. but what about us who live in the country.lol i could walk. but that would be me walking on a highway with my daughter.
@Modestah (11192)
mikes, not to mention you need to fuel your body for exerting all that extra energy too! I agree the gas crunch is awful and it is effecting every other aspect of our lives in some way. I wonder if food prices would go down if they started using locomotive transport instead of the trucking industry - or at least reducing the cross country trucking.. would save wear and tear on the roads too. though, it would be a big blow to the families of truckers *sigh*
@MsTickle (24993)
In the short term I think the fuel crunch and the economy will bring enough people down that it will affect even those who are well off. Long term, I think it will be disease and the weather. The two will go hand in hand over a long period of time and many will be destroyed. I don't know why I think this way but I do, it's not a conscious thought either, I just feel that I know this.
@villageanne (8554)
I am very concerned about the economy. I think we are already in a recession and headed for a depression. The economy is not going good at all. When the economy fails, it is impossible for low income families to have even the basics in life and the middle class become the low income. It is a no win situation. scary
@zeloguy (4913)
Ok here we go.... uugghhh.... politics. We're talking US here I presume. US economy is in the dumps and this isn't even nearly the worst of it so be prepared for more hardship... if jobs dry up we are in for some big troubles! Fuel prices are a direct coorolation of the weak dollar. In reality fuel prices have not gone up at all. Yeap you heard me right. Compare the dollar with something more... concrete... the price of gold, and you will find that gold and fuel coorolate with each other. And as gold has skyrocketed so has the price of oil. It is the weak dollar that makes gasoline look so high. I can give some examples here.... This really makes me sick but here we go. In 2002... The price of gold in January 2002 was ~$280/ounce (almost $1000/ounce now you talking about making some money!) The price of gas in 2002 was $1.25/gallon. Now... The price of gold is at $974/ounce The price of gasoline is at $3.17 (nationally... higher here in Florida). So we do the math. In 2002 the price of gasoline in gold was .0044/ounce per gallon In 2008 the price of gasoline in gold was .0032/ounce per gallon The price of gasoline has actually gone DOWN in price not up. So the weakened dollar has made the price go up which is a direct corrolation to the economy which is a direct coorolation to the war in Iraq. As for the weather... sorry that is all a farce. Global warming a total farce. Is there less ice in the artic... yeap and there has been less and less since the 1300s! Back then they had what is called today "The Mini Ice Age"... about the time of the dark ages. I read that Wisconsin recorded its coldest temperatures in HISTORY this year 2007-08... the ice in ANTARTICA, Greenland, Iceland, etc... is thicker than ever (this is called an anomoly by global warming doomsdayists). On top of that, the climate changes... mother nature changes... it WILL get warmer and it WILL get colder. It's not the greenhouse gasses we put into the atmosphere that creates this. Oh yeah, there are more trees in the us than in anytime in white-man history. What do trees do? reduce Co2 emmissions. Now that is not to say that I am all for oil and for non-responsibility. Just the opposite. EVERY light in my house is a CFB (compact flourescent bulb) and I would put anyone's electric bill against anyone in the nation. Wind, solar, thermal, nuclear, biodiesel, etc... should ALL be used... not to 'save the earth' but for economic sense. I could literally go on all day about this but the short answer for you is the economy. Thanks Zelo In 2002 1.25/280
@paid2write (5202)
I think you are right in suggesting they all all interconnected. I think climate change is already having a huge impact. There are always serious health issues related to extreme cold and extreme heat, there are droughts or floods which affect crops and cause food shortages. All these have an impact on world economies too.