What do you do when you have no money?

United Kingdom
I've put this under walking because that's what I do! When you have no money, do you borrow some or do you do things that don't cost anything? I wanted to take my toddler out at the weekend but had about 12p! So I made up a picnic and took him for a walk along the canal. Would you rather do something like that or borrow some money to do something different?
@whittby (3073)
When the kids were little, it seemed like there was so much more to do with no money. We'd pack picnics like you did and go down to the playground or one of the parks. On rainy days, we'd have our picnic on a blanket in the living room. We would walk downtown, buy a cookie each at the bakery, stop at the playground and head home. We did a lot of walking all over town. the kids would like walking on top of stone walls or just being somewhere a little different was fun.
I grew up with not having much so I know lots of ways to have fun without spending money! We've always gone for walks and things like that. Walking on walls is great - I still do that now and I encourage my kids to do that sort of stuff! I love being outside so when we have nice days, we will go for walks mostly along the canal but sometimes just to the park then we'll take a picnic or get a snack on the way if I've got a bit of cash! In the summer, I keep lots of fruit and some of those little snack pots of pasta and tuna and things which I take out with us.(My toddler won't eat a sandwich!)
@whittby (3073)
It was fun remembering all the stuff I did when the kids were toddlers. When they got to be teens, it wasn't so easy doing the "free" stuff. I think that's what I was getting at. I still walk everyday and try for new routes or whatever it takes to keep it interesting.
My kids are still young enough to enjoy the simple things! Although, I have enjoyed walking all my life. I get my 15 year old nephew walking on walls and things like that too! I guess some feel they are too old for it!
@paid2write (5202)
I walk everywhere. I walk every day. I have little money to spare and I enjoy being outdoors and watching wildlife. I'm sure your toddler had a great time and enjoyed his picnic. If I am out all day I also take food with me, rather than pay cafe prices. You and your child will keep fit and healthy and he will appreciate the simple things in life. Money doesn't get you those things. Your son is lucky.
We walk everywhere anyway. I often go for walks. It would be nice though sometimes if it was more of a choice rather than doing it because we can't afford to do anything else!
@maximax8 (28559)
When I have no money I go out for a walk with my baby son of 9 months old and my two dogs. They like to come off their lead and race about. We don't have to go very far from my house to get to a path that goes along a river and if we cross over a bridge over this river it we get into a lovely green field. If my mum wants to go out for a drive to the beach this is great. It is a wide sandy beach with sand dunes that my dogs like to rush up and down. Walking and seeing nature like grass, flowers, trees and wild birds is free.