party ideas for a 2 year old

My baby will turn two and plan to celebrate !! Please pass on party ideas for kids that age, I am wondering how to entertain them as all they would be interested in, would be running around and grabbing whatever comes to hand. I am interested in finding out about different games that children that age can play, which I am sure aren't many, but if anybody has ideas, please share.
@SViswan (12095)
Having a big party for two year olds is going to drive you crazy..lol Keep the group small...very small...maybe just 2-3 kids and call their moms too. That's what I would do. 2 year olds are too young to be having structured games and they wouldn't be interested if you tried. If you plan to have a bigger group...have it at a place where they can run around without getting into too much trouble...and have things that they would enjoy playing with around them (balloons). The food can be kept at another place and make sure that they are given place to sit (somewhere where it is easy for you to clean up later...or maybe you can put a colourful vinyl sheet on the floor covering the whole room where they will be eating...cleaning will be easier)
My son turned 2 in September. I belong to a Mom's group and we had several birthday parties right around that time. The first one was in July and it was a water/ducky themed party. They didn't really play any games but they played with water toys and other backyard toys. The second party was a music party. A music school ran it and they sang songs, played with instruments, and they also did parachute games. The third party was a cowboy party. They all got cowboy hats, sheriff's badges and neck scarves. There were outdoor toys, and singing. They also had wanted posters posted of all the attendees and we got to take that home as a souveneir. The last party that wasn't my sons was a bug themed party. It was at a park so the kids played on a jungle gym, then the mom had bug coloring pages and then they each got little bug houses and "hunted" for bugs. The Mom put fake plastic bugs out on the ground for the kids to hunt. For my son I was about 8 months pregnant and not really in the mood to direct the party so we had his at an indoor play area. They have all kinds of pretend areas, a classroom, a supermarket, a sandbox, a playhouse, a puppet theater, life size blocks and tinker toys. Hope you might have gotten an idea or two from this.
@Sillychick (3282)
Avoid competitive games, as the children who don't win will be upset, and you want them to have fun. Instead, maybe just have small prizes for participation. Try playing 'Freeze' where you play music and have the kids dance. Then pause the music every so often and ask the children to freeze in place. After a few seconds, start the music again, and repeat for as long as they seem to show interest, maybe a song or two. Or try a version of musical chairs with pieces of paper taped to the floor instead of chairs. Have enough for everyone, so there are no losers, and tell the children to find a piece of paper when the music stops. You could use different colors and cut out shapes to make it a little more interesting. Play music they can dance along to- the Hokey Pokey, the Chicken Dance, the Limbo (just use a broom stick) or any others that you like. You could try hot potato or pass the beanbag if you think the children will be able to follow along. I realize that most of my suggestions are about music and dancing. That is because music is one of the best ways to get and hold the attention of young children. Try not to get caught up in everyone following the 'rules' of the games. As long as they are being nice to each other and having fun, let them have some leeway in the actual structure of the games. If you can, keep the group small. It will be easier to manage, and everyone will probably have more fun.
Keep the party at chuckie cheeses. Or any of the party places. There you baby can enjoy the games,friends. Then you have nothing to clean when done.