what i dislike about ebay...

@cher913 (25890)
one of the main things i dislike about ebay is the fact that sellers list their item for 98 cents then charge an arm and a leg for shipping (like $15) while you KNOW that it can be shipped for a couple of bucks! i know, they don't want to pay listing fees, but sheesh!
@redfang (969)
The worst thing about ebay is that it is rife with people bending the rules, scammers, fraudsters and now higher fee's. Ebay has gotten lost in their greed for money, they are such a huge company and make so much money from their sellers yet they still have not cottoned onto the fact that they could create a policing task force whose job it would be to trawl ebay every single day looking for auctions that break the rules and answering reports form people who have noticed something dodgy. if ebay were to do this it would be a huge deterant to the people breaking the rules and to the bootleggers etc and they would vacate ebay as quickly as they came which in turn would create more buyer confidence, ebay also do not protect their buyers enough they simply shy away from problems by stating " we are a selling venue ". As time passes sellers and buyers are moving away from ebay and the other auction sites around are getting new members BUT it still remains that ebay has the largest number of sellers and the largest audience of buyers on the net so they are still in a more dominant position.
So what are the other ebay-like sites? I've looked into a couple, but I didn't like how things were listed and searching wasn't near as efficient as ebays.
@irisheyes (4373)
They figure they have to make some money somehow so they make it on the postage. Unfortunately, honest sellers get hurt when they list in an auction format with reasonable postage. They wind up with a pittance because somebody else sold for under $1.00. Overall, eBay is a lot more geared to buyers than it is to sellers. I don't sell there much anymore. I'm more comfortable with Amazon and ABE.
When you have to pay those high azz fees. Your going to do what you have to to survive. I have lost out on money buy starting low and even keeping shipping low. I recently placed a listing for 4 handbags. I started it at .99 with $20.00 shipping it got a bid right away. They are going to love that box. I have not only 4 bags going buy 5 and matching coin purses as well. Along with a flyer telling them where to find me off ebay. If you want to pay less. try asking the seller if they have a website. I have started to do this as well. Just today I wanted to buy a candle on there. I emailed the seller. I will buy it from her site. She had to raise the shipping to cover fees.
@raydene (9874)
Hi Sweets, It isn't just shipping ..it's handling also.. It cost so much now for shipping tape, fuel to go to and from the PostOffice ets Before you bit just always make sure you notice the shipping or message to ask.. oxxoxoxoxoxo
@gemini_rose (16194)
Yes I too get really mad about some of the costs charged for shipping, I too sell on ebay and it really makes me mad looking at what other people charge. I like the fact that I take my shipping costs really seriously and only charge what it costs for it.
Ebay sellers are not supposed to be allowed to gouge buyers with high shipping fees. Unfortunatley, Ebay doesn't police what is going on , unless someone complains and then maybe they'll look into it and cancel the listing. Ebay has really back small sellers into a corner with these new fees. My hubby used to sell items on Ebay, but he claims he won't even bother anymore, unless he finds an unbelieveable bargain... and that happens, maybe once or twice a year.
@sissy67 (225)
yes, some sellers do that. I always try to weigh my packages ahead of time or use the weight chart that ebay offers.
@jillbeth (2711)
Yeah, it's a racket. A lot of sellers will sell items for almost nothing but try to make it up on the shipping fees. When I sell on ebay, I only charge actual shipping costs because I hate getting gouged myself! I refuse to buy from sellers who do that, no matter what they are selling.
They are doing that to avoid the high fees. They are getting the cost of their item in the shipping. I tried it that way once. I got more bids doing it the other way. I take the total price into consideration when I bid (item plus shipping).
@alamode (3073)
I always read all the fine print... sometimes, its worth the higher shipping to get the item cheaper. I just agree in my mind what I will pay for something, and I refuse to go over that amount. It doesn't matter what money goes where, in that situation.
@twoey68 (13651)
I see this alot too. You really need to read the whole listing and ask any questions if your not sure about something. I buy alot of our DVD's on there and I know it only costs about $2.50 to ship them (b/c I've shipped them myself) and yet I'll see ppl charging $8-10 to ship one. I have also caught a few sellers that charge high shipping costs and then add in the listing (usually where someone wouldn't catch it) that there is no case...it's just the movie disc. I don't buy from ppl like that...I think it's cheating ppl to do stuff like that. My best advice is just to take your time and read the whole thing. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@ctrymuziklvr (11059)
Did you know that sellers who do that are supposed to be reported? Charging ridiculous postage is against the ebay rules and they have warned us (sellers) many times. I've reported many sellers for doing this because being a seller myself I know what they should be charging. Please report them and don't let them get away with it.