Dehydrating food

@Modestah (11192)
do you? I've got 2 american harvest dehydrators. one was my parents - they made a lot of things in it and it worked very well. I've only made the jerky and did not like it as well as the jerky I make in the oven. I hope to get a book on dehydrating so I can make better use of it. Can you recommend a good one for me? I think with some things you have to cook them first. sweet potatoes may need to be quick fried before dehydrating? I noticed at the last bulk goods place I went to that some of the dehydrated items were fried first. those baked potato chips are made from dehydrated potatoes, I'd like to give that a go.
@cupoftea (715)
I would love to have one of those.I would make jerky all the time. Everyone in my house loves it, even my 7 year old daughter. It would be fun to try new things with it also.
@kimbers867 (2540)
I use to have one but I finally gave up on it. I tried making jerky and dried banana chips. It seemed like the thing had to run forever and a day. So I just gave up with all the electricity it was using. Never thought about making jerky in the oven. I will have to investigate.
@Modestah (11192)
yep you have to keep the temp very low in the oven - it has been awhile but I think it is 125 degrees.... our current oven is digital and does not set below 200 so I am not sure if that will work for us or not - I am wanting to give it a go but am having a time finding a good lean cut of meat to make it with.
Thanks. My oven will go low, just found this out the other day when I was keeping dinner warm. I do have a digital display and it did keep going down. Thanks, this is something I am going to pursue.
@sacmom (14315)
Yes, I dehydrate foods, though I've only made jerky with it so far. It turns out great each time I make it. :) I wonder why your jerky isn't turning out as well as when you make it from the oven? I didn't know jerky could be made in the oven. Is that really possible? I also have an American Harvest dehydrator. I love it! I works great! I think this year I may try dehydrating apricots as I have a couple of trees in my yard. Though knowing my family we'll probably just eat the fruit straight from the tree (almost). :P