JAIL......... a free ride???????

I was just wondering how many people think that jail is just a free ride for some people. They don't have to worry about starving cause you get three free meals a day. I know htey do make some of them work but come on some jails knock off life $25 a day so your fine gets paid while you are sitting. People in jail don't have bilss like rent, lights, water, gas, and so on. I think that some people just could care less whether they get out or not. Like those that have been locked up for a few years and get out on probation and are suppose to just do right and yet they break probation by falling drug tests or just do go see the probation officer. It looks like to me if you go once you would try everything in your power not to have to go back. Maybe that is just all some people know. I am not sure. What's your opinion?
@Deea48 (1168)
Well I know a few folks in jail, and in my state it is not free at all any more, they have to pay for their stay there. Many have to pay it back when they get out, if they have no saving to pull from while in jail. Which of course most do not. They have to pay for everything there now, all their privelges if they have any, have to be paid for as well. Such as books,tvs ect... It is no longer a free ride here in my state. Most prisoners leave with alot a debt, to the state.
@coolseeds (3921)
I think for repeat offenders part of it is because their life lacks order. In jail someone tells them when to eat, sleep, clean, bathe, exercise and what ever else they do. When they get out there is no one to tell them when or what they have to do. I do think it is close to a free ride other than having to live with the other prisoners. They eat more often than I do and they receive better medical coverage than I do. I can eat more often but the doctor isn't free. Prison should be a place you want to avoid. They should give them bread and water. That is when they remember to feed them. If they skipped a couple of meals every now and then I don't think many will be so eager to return. Seriously, if someone can't report to a parole or probation officer they need to be in jail. That is just stupid. They need to be locked up because they are too stupid to live in a structured society.