Paying for a service that was ended

@maximax8 (27049)
I was very shocked to realize that I am still paying £17.99 a month even though I stopped using an Internet service provider in September last year. I got a migration code from them and got a new Internet service provider. However they forgot to stop taking the monthly fee through direct debit on my bank account. I am phoning them again today to try to sort out this terrible mess. Have you ever realized that you were still paying for a service or subscription that you had ended? What do you think I should do now about them having done this to me? Thanks.
@mipen2006 (5528)
Whenever I stop a service that was paid by direct debit, I make sure there has been no deduction the month following cancelation. You can't be too careful. Did you mace the cancelation in writung? If not you could have a problem proving your cancelation date. Good luck with your refund.
@maximax8 (27049)
You are right that it is important to stop a direct debit once the service has ended. I should have done this in September last year but all this happened when I was on holiday in Portugal. I canceled it on line and so don't have a copy of it in writing.
@mipen2006 (5528)
I can understand your position, and can only wish you luck in getting your refund.
@marketing07 (6266)
• South Korea
hi ,3 months ago we change our internet connection to one company..then my husband was so shocked that he is still paying for it..he was angry and called the company,,they promised to return back.
@maximax8 (27049)
Thanks so very much for telling me that I am not the only one that this has happened to. I think a Internet service provider does not want to lose a customer so they make it difficult. I hope that your husband did receive the money back to him.
I have had this happen to me too more than once. I end up going to my bank and making them put a stop payment on my account which in turn cost me even more money.
@maximax8 (27049)
I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you more than once. Yes, bank charges can be expensive and stopping a direct debit will be something I will make sure has happened.
@ellie333 (21029)
In the past this has happened with a car insurance company when I had already changed to another, took months of fighting but did get reimbursed. However, these days am on top of my finances big time so it wouldn't happen and immediately something is stopped I cancel the direct debit or standing order woth the bank and if it is a provider that takes from card details renew the card so the last 3 digits are different just in case as also had one company take £7.00 which I gave permission for and the following month they took £77.00. Did get it back though as bank set up a dispute but because they had card details they just took, not good eh! In your situation I would write and tell your bank what has happened and write to the company enclosing a copy of your letter to the bank and politely request that you be reimbursed, if you get no joy ask the bank to set up a dispute with the company which they will do free on your behalf, this should work. Good luck. Ellie :D
@maximax8 (27049)
Thanks for this excellent response and telling me about your experiences withe the car insurance company. I should take a closer look at my finances and make sure that I close a direct debit when a service ends. I looked at the old Internet service providers telephone number on the Internet because in my clutter clearing I only keep things to do with my new Internet service providers. I have written to my bank.
@williamjisir (22909)
Hello maximax. I do not have this experience, but I think that you need to make it clear to the service provider about it to get back the money you have spent on in the past few months either by calling to explain or send them an email or letter for this explanation so that you won't lose any more money for it. Good luck.
@maximax8 (27049)
Thanks williamjisir. Yes, I have phoned them and they were able to get on to the telephone company to see the date my Internet provision with them ended. Hopefully I will not lose anymore money.
Working previously from an ISP, what you should do is to request for a credit. You can the billing department and tell them your situation. I am from tech support but I think this is the policy, the moment you call for disconnection of the service, they will place a disconnect order and it would still be processed. It should not take no longer than 5 business days max for the service to be completely disconnected like username, email address that includes with it. So, the account status should be inactive now, therefore you should not be paying for the service. There must be a mistake somewhere regarding the status of the account, it might still be active or pending to be disconnected.
@chrislotz (8207)
This is the reason why I don't have my bills taken directly out of my bank account anymore. I had a cable TV service provider do this to me too. After I cancelled my service, because I moved to another province, they continued to take the money out of my bank for about 3 months till I realized what was happening. I finally got them to stop taking it, after I phoned them about it several times, but they never did return the money they took, that they shouldn't have. They said they would mail me a check but to this day I have never received it, and that was over a year ago. I phoned them a couple times looking for my check and they just keep telling me they will look into it, but I don't get any response or my money back. So now, I don't have any companies taking money out of my bank account anymore and I have all of them just mail me a bill and I phone the bank and pay them myself, now.
@whyaskq (7553)
When I terminate a service, I would be very careful to check the billing the next month. I would be extra careful to check my account which has direct debit facility. I will contact both the service company and the bank immediately once the account is not in order. Hope you got back your refund.
@jennybianca (12918)
That happened to me a few years ago when I changed servers. I contacted the previous one & they refunded me. One really has to watch services that do direct debit. You can't be certain that they are going to stop when you cease services. Personally, I hate direct debit but we have no choice.
@chiyosan (29389)
im glad this has not happened to me, cause i made sure to be updated with what i pay for... of course this is because i have strict budget that i have to be updated and must know what i am paying for :D
@chiyosan (29389)
@sid556 (31018)
I think that you should demand a rebate for all the months that you paid when you were not getting their service. I had an ISP once that was forever applying my payment to someone elses account and then threatning to shut me off. I paid in check and so they always found the error but it was time consuming to go in with a copy of my check each time and figure it out. After the 5th time...I changed providers.
@chris1314 (787)
We have had this before, once a company went bust, and my grandma was paying $35 a month for a company which didnt exist anymore, for over 2 years, we dont know where the money went, and still dont :/ chris
@ebberts (786)
Yes I did have this problem, the payment was also being taken from my bank account. It took me a few calls to get it taken care of and if I remember right they gave me my money back.
@wolfie34 (26881)
You should be refunded every single penny that they have taken, and if they cause any problem then you need to take it up with your bank, there must have been a contract you signed with them, that clearly states the t&c's if you read them then it should make it clearer or how and where you stand. The Bank will be able to act on your behalf as well if they are a good bank. Good luck my friend. The ISP should realize and have records of your account so can see that you have still paid so should refund without a problem, fingers crossed. I don't recall a time where I had a service which stopped and I continued paying for it.