Would you water your garden with this?

@coolseeds (3921)
One of the problems we face is water pollution. Who knows what is in our rivers and streams. They tell you not to eat certain fish and only so much of certain species. So there is a problem. However they don't warn people not to water their garden with this same water. I was wondering what your opinion is on watering your vegetable garden with water from the local creek, stream or river.
@drannhh (15241)
I am concerned about all of the water quality whether it is water from a stream or rainwater or water sold in the stores with labels such as "purified" or "filtered" or "natural" because with all of the prescription (and other) medicines people are taking, I have to wonder where does that stuff go! Where do the growth hormones we feed our livestock go? What happens farther along in the food chain? We put chemicals or genetic modifications in the grass. The cow eats the grass. The cow gets shots. The cow gives milk. The milk chemically processed. We drink the milk. We all know what we do next. Where does all that go? Back into the water supply. Back into the clouds. Then it rains on the grass and the cow eats some more. That is not my ideal of a circle of life, but that circle does just keep turning. My opinion is it is scary. Ever try to sprout seeds with tap water in one tray and sprout the seeds in the tray next to it with purified water? Big difference.
@coolseeds (3921)
There is a lot going on with the environment that concerns me. Miracle grow leaves residual salts in the soil. How many people use synthetic fertilizer because they don't know any better or because their parents or grandparents used it. Well our grandparents used DDT. I wonder how many impurities from the water are filtered by the soil when feeding plants. I know they would stay in the soil and eventually be taken in by a plant. I've never tried the seed test. I will. But I get really good results with regular tap water along with planting by the moon cycle.
@drannhh (15241)
Thanks for the BR. I truly need to try that moon cycle bit now that I have something to plant in. The other thing that makes a difference for the plants is the pH of the water. They like it a bit on the acid side, just as people like it a bit on the alkaline side. Awesome power comes from knowing that. :-+
@LadyDulce (830)
Nah, I just use distilled water in my AeroGarden and city water for my potted plants. It's worked so far, and unless I was way out in a place where I had absolute control over my water sources and land, I probably wouldn't use any old water for my babies. My kids and husband have to eat what I grow, so there's no way I'm putting that crap in them. I don't even like buying meat from butchers I'm unfamiliar with. I would really rather go back to raising a calf and splitting the meat with another family. Blessed Be
@coolseeds (3921)
The same here Dulce. I am looking for land so I can grow as much of my own food as I can. I'll raise a calf too. The beef tastes better when you can control what the cow eats before it is butchered. I don't trust butchers either. I always tell them to cut the head off and get rid of it. I don't want none of that in my burger. But I'm not sure about drinking the milk. That might be too much for me. You never know what is in the water. Especially with all of the mining and what ever else they did before they passed laws to protect the local environment.
If I knew the river or stream was not polluted I would not mind at all. After all tap water and rain water are not completely free of contaminants. I am sure that the water makes a difference, but I would not carry it to extremes.
Well we actually watered our garden with river water this past summer for the first summer in years. I do worry about pollution and wonder what is in the river however when it comes to keeping a garden alive for the summer through the drought, I would rather take my chances.
@coolseeds (3921)
Yes when it comes to survival you have to eat. My water bill is over $200 during the summer because of my plants. I WISH I had a free water supply to water what I am not eating. I use water from a stream to water my perennials at my mothers house. But I live in the city. It worries me how safe the water is and if there are carcinogens or other toxins that can be found in the fruits and vegetables.
Oh I definitely agree with you. There is a large landfill right out side of town here where I live and the EPA is involved, lawsuits are flying, the stench is horrible and it makes me both sad and worried that it is polluting our water. But what can we do when we need to grow our food?
@coolseeds (3921)
It might not be as bad as breathing the air in some of the cities. Here they are covering landfills and selling them to rich people from out of town who want to live here. LOL The only thing we can do is invest in reverse osmosis systems. I don't know the cost or the size needed but it is about the only way. So buy solar panels and a reverse osmosis system and become self sufficient. It is my plan when I acquire property. Home grown veggies taste 300 times better than the crap you get in the grocery store and you save so much money. Its like common sense to grow your own food.
@peavey (16876)
Is there any water that isn't polluted any more? You can't even trust rain water because it picks up pollution from the air as it travels through it. Most river or stream water may not be much more polluted than what comes from the tap. As someone else mentioned, prescription medicines are in our water supply. Nitrates are a problem in farming country and other chemical pollutants are problems in manufacturing areas. If it touches the ground, it goes into our water. Anyway... yes, I'd use river water for a garden if I had one nearby, unless it was runoff from a factory or nuclear plant area.
@coolseeds (3921)
I doubt there is an unpolluted source of water any where. The stuff just gets recycled until it is used up. The bad thing is almost all rivers or streams have a power plant that is linked to it somewhere. Fish live in it. Well some do. LOL It isn't like it was 30 years ago. Most of the fish are gone. But there are some. So you never know. I guess that is a price of life.