your choice or theirs

do you think a teen has a right to get any pierceing that they wish if that is what they want? OR should the parent say what is right or not? How many of you have let a child get a pierceing that you did not really want them to get but allowed it anyway? How many of you are still fighting with your child over if they can or cant get a certain piercing?
@gemini_rose (16193)
It depends on the age, and the piercing! I try not to be too domineering when it comes to decisions as far as my children are concerned. I am pretty open minded and I also plainly remember being a teen, being told I wasnt to do something and immediately going out and getting it done. I try to talk to my children about things that they say they want doing and then I will try to compromise so that its fair, my eldest boy is 16, he wants a tattoo, I talked to him about it and told him to think and make sure its what he really wants and to think about the design because he is stuck with it for life, but I told him that I trust his judgement and if he really wants it done then he can, but he has to pay for it.
@gemini_rose (16193)
Yep I was exactly the same, at 17 I was sick of being told what I couldnt do all the time and they hated my boyfriend so I left home and it was the worst thing I ever did. I ended up pregnant in a violent relationship and totally standing on my own two feet. I had my son at 18, left my violent partner and moved out of the area and now 16 years later I am doing ok, but I wish I hadnt acted so rash back then I really do.
@LadyDulce (830)
That depends on the kid, the piercing, and the family's values. I would rather my son didn't get any piercings, but I have no problem with tattoos. My only stipulations are that he has to be at least 16 and think about what he wants for at least 6 months. If he still wants the same thing and can explain to me exactly why he wants it, I'd let him do it, as long as the tattoo artist or whoever's piercing him is experienced and hygenic. If he wants something just because everyone else has it, then no way. Blessed Be
@asgtswife04 (2482)
Personally, none of my children will get any kind of piercings until they are 18 and can do it theirselves because i won't sign for them to get it done and unless they are 18 they have to have parental consent in the state i live in. i have piercings and some of them i really regret and i just couldn't do that to my child and them blame me later on. God bless
@dtroas (481)
Not here when they get 18 they can pierce what ever they want but not until. Except their ears, which were done when they were babies ( yes I have girls)