Planning A Trip To New York From Texas In An RV

Yep. We're starting the preliminary planning. We're going to pack up the 5th Wheel, hook it up to Big Red (our pickup), and take out for the unknown. Well, okay, it's not actually the unknown....but it kinda feels like it. We'll be starting our journey from Texas with a general destination to New York. I'm sure since we are going that far, we will venture on up into Maine as far as we can go and still be within the United States. After going north, we will saunder down the east coast to Maryland and on down to Florida, back up the gulf coast back into Texas. This trip has no schedule and no set time to be anyplace at any given time. We're planning on being 'on vacation' for about six months, living inside the RV. I would like for those who would like to respond and who live in states east of Texas to give me the names of a few points of interest and 'must see' locations in your area, please. Like I said, we have no schedule, no deadline, no set dates to be anywhere so it doesn't matter how far out of the way we go. This is the first of many trips we plan to take in our adventure to see every state within the United States. Give me your idea of where we should visit and what you think we should see in your state, along with how many days we should think about stopping over. I'll respond to everyone who posts, but I'll say 'Thank You' in advance.
@brimia (6584)
wow, how fun. I've always wanted to travel through the country in an RV....one of these days... You'll have to tell us all about it when you get back and share some tips :) I love Chicago, there's so much to see and do...zoos, Navy Pier, Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum, Buckingham Fountain, Magnificent Mile (amazing stores), Shedd Aquarium, John Hancock/Sears Tower observatories, Art Institute, Union Station...you really need at least 3 days.
By the sounds of it brimia, I'll have to schedule a week......Thanks for the tips.
@ElicBxn (60884)
Well, I'm in Texas too, but going to Colonial Williamsburg is a must! I also suggest at least hitting the boardwalk in Atlantic City. While in that area, detour down to see Lucy. http://www.lucytheelephant.org/ I went to Chincoteague and Assateague Islands in Virginia, to see the wild horses. I was also quite impressed with the beach there on Assateague. I hope as a fellow Texan (naturlized) this gives you a few places to visit.
Colonial Williamsburg is a must......and yes, Atlantic City......and Virginia too.....Soooo much history. I crave the historical aspects of any trip. I'm one of those nuts who likes touring old graveyards and battlefields......Thanks for the link and suggestions Elic.......I'm sooooooo looking forward to any trip, but this one is going to be monumental.......the first of many.
@ElicBxn (60884)
I think my trip to NJ last summer is probably my last trip up there. While I still have family there, I don't have those that I really want to see a lot. Now that my sister has moved our uncle to TN with her and my cousin, his son, has passed away, we really don't have that many left.
Heck Elic. Neither my husband, nor I have anyone left at all. We take the trips for us, for our own enjoyment, to see all there is to see. If we planned our trips to see anyone we would end up staying home. That's not what retirement if about to me. I want to see everything I can, while I can, because I know there will come a day when all I am able to do is sit in my rocker and look out the window, God forbid! So I'm going to enjoy it while I can.
@34momma (13896)
Well girl you know you are headed my way and i am so excited! I am finally going to see my very best, good mylot girlfriend!!!! i can tell you one place you must see and that is my place to see me and my crazy family! OMG I have to go cocktail shopping!!! Hooray my girl Teri will be coming to town!!!!
I'm not sure of the dates we will get into New York, but you will be the first person I call when we get there. It could next month or it could be much later. We don't have any plans yet, and like I said, we're not going to make a schedule either. I'm soooooo excited. We're starting out from here and going through Louisiana and on to Alabama. I know we're going to spend at least a week, maybe two in Calhoun County. From there I know we are headed to Graceland. Yes, to see Elvis's estate. That's gonna take a week at least. We're also going to spend at least a week in North Georgia, and the Lord only knows what or where from there. If you happen to see a big red Ford extended cab pickup pulling a 5th wheel camper behind it with two old farts who look lost, pull them over and say 'hi'. It might be me!. LOLOLOLOLOLOL
@34momma (13896)
girl at least you are in the process of getting here and that is enough for me right now! go see the site, find out if Elvis is still alive!! and when it is all said and done, bring that RV my way
hick - good thing I'm not driving....lol
@barehugs (8986)
I'm from Ontario Canada and spend the winter in McAllen Texas. I used to pull a 31 ft fifth wheel Trailer back and forth but it got tiresome. Now I live in a mobile for 5 months in the winter. I never go back before the end of March because its cold and snowy there. You will have fun Rving! as for the sights..No matter where you go there are interesting things to see. Just stay off the icy roads in the North! Good luck and Have fun!
That's one reason we're trying to stay south until late spring barehugs. The weather.... I know where McAllen is. Our daughter lives there....How funny......I'm pretty sure (Lord willing) we'll be spending much of our lives RVing, seeing things "I ain't never seen before" and loving every mile of it.......
@barehugs (8986)
I Live in an RV Park at Alamo ( about 15 minutes from the McAllen Airport) for 5 months in the winter. Will be driving back to Canada, end of March. I will return end of October. Come down and stay at our Park for a while next winter. Alamo Palms at 1341 W. Bus.83 in Alamo.There are about 300 RV spaces in this park, and we have lots of activities. C'ya then!
@livintx49 (245)
I live in Texas and just wanted to say your going to have a great time!! This is something I would love to do.Just get in my car and drive.Have a great trip and don't sweat the small stuff!!
Ahhhh - Texas....Great starting point. Lots of history. A big plus is that we can start out in any direction we want. I'm soooo looking forward to starting this episode of our lives. Load up, hook up and take off.......how cool is that?
@maximax8 (28247)
In the USA I have seen very large RV and they must be so comfortable for a six month long adventure for a distance like Texas to New York. One place I would choose to go to if I was you would be Cape Cod. There is meant to be beautiful scenery there that you would probably enjoy. It might be interesting for you to stop off at Washington DC to see the White House. The Florida and Virgina coastlines and meant to be very scenic. I am from the UK and haven't been to the east side of the USA yet. Good luck with your planning and when you go i hope that you will have a fantastic time.
Washington DC is definately on the list max.....The RV is super comfortable and surprisingly spacious. We have a good sized one with slideouts...all the comforts of home. 42" plasma television, queen sized spacious bedroom, huge bathroom, and comfy living room. Nice kitchen too. There's just the two of us and our puppy, Wolfgang....I'm sure there's loads of places to see and things to do in the UK....such history....... thanks max....
@sizzle3000 (3040)
I think what you are doing is great. My husband and I live in Baltimore, Maryland. We like to take trips like this but we do have a time limit when we go. Once year we took a ten day trip and headed toward Dodge City in Kansas city however, as far as we got was Branson Missouri. My husband calls it my ten day shopping spree. We shopped in more than ten different states. Some of the states we only got to see the out skirts and others we went right through. I think it was more but it has been a while. It was a great time. We did not have an RV but a very big van. My mom, daughter was about four, my husband and I went. We have not had time to take any kind of trips like this again. My daughter is finishing up high school and she is going to college and we are all just on a very busy schedual any more. If you do stop in Maryland you should check out or Aquarium. It is located at the inner harbor. Believe me it will not be hard to find. It is in the heart of Downtown Baltimore. There is quite a few things to see while you are at the inner harbor. Our Government has put tons of money into this section of town to bring in the tourist. The Innor harbor is full of shopping and restaurants and sight seeing. They have boats that will cruise the harbor so you can see what it looks like from the water. It however, is not cheap. I do think if you have the time and money you should at least check out the Aquarium. I do not think you will be disappointed in it. The weather here is not really cold even now. We have not had any snow this year to speak of. Just a note at this time gas is running $3.10 a gallon for regular in most areas around Maryland but in some areas it is $3.30. I hope you enjoy your trip and have lots of memories to share upon your return. Maybe you could keep a little diary and share the high points.
Since we're facing retirement, we can take the time sizzle. I only hope we can afford to do more as time goes by. My cousin lives in Baltimore. That's one stop we're taking for sure. One week at least......possibly more. Several days to see the things I want to see and several days to spend time with her...Branson is definately on the list of places to stop, along with Dollywood and Graceland. I'm taking loads of pictures and making hundreds of scrapbooks on the way, along with keeping a computer diary of every mile. Maybe we can have coffee in Baltimore with you. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Gas Prices be danged!!!!
@carmelanirel (20979)
I don't know the route you would be taking, but if you are in northern Kentucky, I heard that Mammoth Caves is a must see and if you will be in Southern Ohio, the Hocking Hills region has so much to see.. I posted a couple link for each. I have not been to Mammoth Caves, but would love to one day..As for Hocking Hills, I use to go camping there, it is the most beautiful country I have ever seen.. http://www.nps.gov/maca/ http://www.hockinghills.com/
Our initial route will be from Texas to Louisianna, through Mississippi,Alabama and Georgia. From Georgia to South Carolina, and northward toward New York. It might seem a long way around but we have our reasons. From New York to Maine, then the return trip will be down the East coast to Maryland and on to Florida, following the gulf coast route back to Texas, coming home from the south. Should be fun. All of your suggestions will be added to our stop off points. Thanks carmel........