What is your child's favorite bed time story?

@p1kef1sh (45640)
My reading bed time stories to children days are regrettably passed now (although I hope that my daughter might do something in that department one day). But I used to read my daughter her favourite story about a bear that had been assembled incorrectly. I read it so many times that I didn't need the book to remember the words and sometimes teased her by changing the ending. Which was a bit silly of me as she stayed awake to listen and then I would have to read the end again properly! What stories do your children enjoy the most.
@maddysmommy (16233)
My son doesn't really have a favourite that we read over and over again. He gets to choose a book from his school library every Thursday and that becomes the main book we read most nights. They are mostly about dinosaurs, whales or dolphins. If he's had enough of reading that one then he chooses one of his NickJr books or Disney ones to read.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I don't think it matters really if he has a favourite or not, the important thing is that he reads and wants to read more. You should be proud of yourself that he is doing that with your help. Bravo Mom.
@maddysmommy (16233)
Thanks :)
@gemini_rose (16194)
I have 3 boys and a girl, the 3 boys hated me reading to them, I tried many a time and they just were not interested at all in any story I tried to read them. However my daughter is 2 and I read to her every night and she loves it, its like her comfort as I have to read to her until she is asleep! But she does not have a favourite story, but she likes me to read my books to her, luckily I dont read raunchy books so I dont have to do much censoring but thats what she likes, I do read her books with her too but in the day and she likes me to read it so that she can copy it word for word!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Perhaps the boys will catch up later on. We're like that. I love that you read to your daughter, I used to love reading to mine. When I was ill last year I used to get her to read to me! Quite like old times.
@gemini_rose (16194)
No I never thought of comics! Thats quite a good idea, thanks.
@novataylor (6572)
Sadly, I have no one to tell bedtime stories to, and I don't remember any from my childhood, except maybe the poetry of Robert Lewis Stevenson, A Child's Garden of Verses, to be precise. I loved that book, still do actually. My own poetry was hugely influenced by him, and I use the same cadence and rhythm as he does. I can't think poetry any other way. It just comes into my head in that rhythm. Strange. But, I digress, of course, again. I do remember singing to my younger brother and sister to help them sleep. And that is the pleasantest and sweetest memory, thank you p1kef1sh for opening the door for it. They always wanted to hear "Red River Valley" - I can still sing it, I remember all the words to this day. I think I'll have to sing it to the cats tonight. :)
@p1kef1sh (45640)
We are related I just know it. I was reading poetry from "A Child's Garden of Verse" just last week at my parents. I was seeking inspiration for a certain Diamond poem. Didn't need it in the end though. I can just imagine you singing to your brother and sister. Sing your heart out. The Kitties will love it. They'll probably sing it back to the neighbourhood later. Hope that you are rested after your 15 minutes of intense activity today.
Yes, I think I'm recovered, thank you so much for your concern. (giggle) And maybe we were twins in another life. We do seem to have the most off the wall things in common, don't we? From RL Stevenson to Alice in Wonderland. Makes you wonder. Makes me concoct fantasies, stories, tales of endless delight. Love those stories. Oh, and I will sing, trust me. I can rarely be stopped.
@winterose (39917)
gosh it has been 20 some odd years since I read to my son, he never really seemed to want to hear the same stories we always had grolier books so there was always different stories, the dr. seus collection, grims fairy tales, hans christian anderson, serenipity books etc.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Those are all great stories. The important thing is that you read to him.
@x7heavens (365)
My elder chilren enjoy reading books like Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl and Goosebumps. The 5 and 6 yr old love to read Enid Blyton books. We have around 30 books, namely, Mr Meddle's bicycle, Three Bold Pixies, Mr Icy Cold, The Wonderful touch etc. They just like the lively characters of the elves, pixies, faires, gnomes and other magical creatures. Furthermore, each book comprises of short stories which make reading even much easier for their age.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I know of HP of course (although I have never really got into him) but the others, especially Enid Blyton were much loved too. I don't know what people have against End Blyton. I read her, my wife did too and so has our daughter, but there is a lot of snobbery about her.
@deedee30 (435)
• Spain
My son changes his favourite quite often but he loves were going on a bearhunt and anything with cars in it. My daughter used to love the hungry caterpillar and where the wild things live.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
My daughter loved that too. In fact she swallowed just about anything that she could get her hands on. I remember that day that she read her first book without pictures (Just William of all things) and she was'nt bored. We knew the that she was going to have a love affair with books. She's studying English at Uni now so we must have done something right.
@ellie333 (21029)
My little boy loves The Very Hungry Caterpiller and Harry and his bucket of Dinosaurs. He also has a nursery rythm book that he loves and a book about hugs. As children my girls always loved Winnie the Pooh as they they got older and read themselves it was Tracey Beaker Series and the Harry Potter books. I used to enjoy The Famous Five, but as a small child can't remember what used to be read to me. Ellie :D
@p1kef1sh (45640)
We liked the Hungry Caterpiller too. Tracey Beaker was a fave, in fact anything by Jacqueline Wilson.