Parents want to have a deaf baby

@bayness0 (281)
I am sitting here working from home and listening to BBC Radio London (no 1 radio station in the World) and the discussion is all about some deaf parents who are having IVF. They plan to have a deaf child - ay hearing embryos will be binned I have been listening to people defending this as a option. Has the World gone completely mad... Why would anyone, by choice, have a deaf child. As an aside I have been listening to people explain that Deafness is not a limitation. Who are you kidding...
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
I have heard deaf parents that does not want to give their child an inplant to make them hear. They said that they did not want the deaf culture to die out. I can understand how they are thinking, but I think their decition is completely completely wrong. Even worse would be to screen embryos so they will have a deaf child. having a deaf child is not the worst thing that can happen, but it is a child born with a handicap that may make their life harder and a bit more limited than hearing childrens lives. Willingly trying to get a handicapped childs is not a wise decition in my mind. This kind os screening of embryos should stop now. I do not think it is a healthy option for parents to have.
@bayness0 (281)
I agree with you. However, this has caused a massive stir in the Uk and we now have shows asking the moral question. Should someone be able to choose to have a child with an impairment (cannot use the word disability for deafness any more in the UK).
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
It is a crazy when parents choose not to let their healthy embryos get a chance, but choose to only give birth to children that clearly will have a disadvantage in life compared to most. I do not think they should be able to screen for this.
That sounds insane. What a crazy world this has become. People have started acting like God and sometimes I think all the technological advances have gone too far. We are keeping people alive longer and longer and often when there is very little, if any quality of life. It is sad.