leg cramps

Garden Grove, California
How many other mylotters get those horrid leg cramps in the middle of the night that make you yell out in pain? How do you handle them? I got two sets of them early this morning. the first started at my ankle and went up into my groin . Talk about pain it was so bad I screamed out in agony. What do you do to prevent them? I have found that either I am not drinking enough water or I have consumed too much salt the day before. I try to drink at least 8 to 10 glasses a day but do not always succeed. My son declares it is due to something in your blood chemistry being off and my doctor only says have you had enough calcium.
@CanadaGal (4307)
I used to get them a LOT in my right calf when I was on the low carb eating plan. With daily multi vitamins, including extra potassium, I wouldn't get the leg cramps nearly as much. However, it turned out, that it was a blood clot in my leg. I am now on warfarin, and no matter what I eat or do exercise wise, I don't get those leg cramps anymore at all. When I did get the cramps, the best way for me to deal with them was to walk them off. When I was lucky, I would wake up before it set in, and could jump out of bed and pretty much stop it before it really started.
Odd but it seems to be always in my left leg but I also can walk them off if I wake before it gets too bad
@suspenseful (40326)
I do not get them that much, but then I take multi-vitamins and I drink milk plus we eat lots of bananas. I do not know if that has something to do with it. Also I am cutting down on my salt and drink a lot of water. Maybe you should ask a dietician or a nutritionist. I will see if I can find a link to help you, because it maybe something more than eating too much of something or too little of another. Here is a link I found. http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068794/ I hope it helps.
my doctor said more calcium, and bananas and more water, and cut way back on sodium . the water and the bananas helped me the most so guess that was what I was missing.
@suspenseful (40326)
My husband has als *Lou Gehrig's disease* and he gets leg cramps so I give him bananas. I cannot take that much bananas because of their high glycemic content, but I do not use a lot of salt. Oh I do love yogurt, so that helps. Glad you got better and your cramps are disappearing.
hi I have the same problem with bananas as they will shoot up your blood sugar really quick.
@mbs730 (2155)
Eww I am sorry, I only got those when I was pregnant. I also think it may be due to a lack of potassium which you can get from bananas. You may want to get that tested.
thanks I am going to stock up on some bananas
@mbs730 (2155)
not a bad idea
I used to always keep bananason hand then just got out of the habit and then the price went up but now I can get greenbannanas at twenty cents a piece and let them ripen a day and they are really good I hate them mushy but like them just barely yellow so will definitley keep them on hand.
Oh, I experienced this the past few months - but I was pregnant! I was reading that that could mean too much nitrate in the diet (like sandwich meats) and not enough potassium (which is in bananas, but I see someone has already commented about bananas). Besides diet, stretching always helped, before going to bed and then when waking up. Hope your leg cramps went away by now!!
much2say hi Ihad not had any for months then the other night Ihad one in the groin going down my leg andit made me scream it hurt so bad. the darned thing lasted for almost a minute and no matter which way I turned and stretched my leg it still hurt so bad. but I had had something for dinner that night that was really salty . I did drink a lot of water after the cramp. hope it was what helped.
Oh geez, and that must have been the longest minute ever!! I normally do not get leg cramps like that, so it was a strange (and painful) feeling for me. I tried to stretch "the other way" so it would reverse - but it doesn't always work that way - I just physically couldn't do it! The weird thing is that happened in both my big toes too. I woke up because my toe got stuck lifting up! I took my other foot to step on it to get it back in place, but it wouldn't. So painful! Interesting about the salt . . . I'll have to tell my dad because I think he gets them a lot. Glad the pains are mostly gone for you!
hi much2say I did myself in last night.I had bought some snack foods to keep in my room. among these cheese filled pretzels. well I ate more of them than I should last night as I was a bit uptight. okay so I wake up with one foot cramping then the other. too much salt on the pretzels. so I got up and finally walked off the cramps and drank a large glass of water. I do know better too.
@vandana7 (53469)
Hi Hatley, I agree with the doctor. It is calcium. :) You need plenty of it. :) But do consult your doctor about dosage though. :) I too get them, in winters. My papa has a simple remedy for it, and I dont know whether it is my trust in him because of which it works for me, or it is a genuine remedy. Keep your ankle firm, virtically on the mattress, and then try to press the entire foot backwards. Hope you understood what I tried to express. The cramp subsides faster, at least for me.
hi vandana yes I understand you as thats what we were taught in a first aid class if you please, I did not know first aid and leg cramps really went together but I did try that and it did work. I sometimes get one in the groin area on my bad leg side, And believe that one is some pressure on a nerve as it does not happen but once in a blue moon. i think for people my age you are supposed to have 1200 units of calcium a day and I have been pretty well getting that so have had very few cramps now.
I get a terrible leg pain that drives me crazy all the time. I have fibromyalgia. It is more of an dull ache type of pain. But I take 2 sleeping pills, 2 pain medications, and then sometimes I still can't sleep from the pain, so I drink a shot of whiskey and pray I will finally fall asleep.
try bananas and keep hydrated. I do not know much about fibromyalgia except it seemed to take forever for doctors to realize what it was. but I would try bananas anyway as they might help also plenty of water. I have arthritis aches in my knees sometimes and have to keep warm or they really hurt. hope you can find something that will really let you sleep.maybe you should go back to your doctor or else get a second opinion.
@halynn (1809)
Being low on potassium could cause that too. Try adding bananas to your meals sometimes that might help.
hi halynn yes bananas are great for stopping leg cramps and keeping well hydrated will help also.
@Ldyjarhead (10161)
I've always heard that low potassium was a major cause of leg cramps. Bananas are a great source of potassium.
hi ladyjar head 2years later wow yes bananas and plenty of water also both stop leg cramps. keep hydrated and have enough potassium.
@maddysmommy (16243)
I got them really badly when I was pregnant with my son. I was told to drink milk and not sure why either. My basketball coach told me to drink lots of milk LOL
maddysmommy yes drink milk for the calcium and some bananas for the potassium and you should not have leg cramps anymore.
@lilybug (21182)
I do not get leg cramps very often anymore. I used to get them a lot more often when I was younger. It seems like every time I get a leg cramp I have been asleep and I wake up with one. I have to get out of bed and walk around on my leg for a minute or two to get them to go away. What is the worst to me is when I get a toe cramp. I got one of those a month or so ago and I had dropped cans of soup my toe the day before, so I could not even bend my toes to help it go away. I am guilty of not drink in enough water and consuming too much salt. I am surprised that I do not get them more often than I do.
hi lilybug yes just get in your ten glasses of water a day and you have it made.
Hatley.. i wish i could have seen this topic long time before.. as i would have got the answer.. for my frequent leg cramps.. Though, not in night i get the cramps, but it slowly develops at dusk. I used to put a crepe around my legs..and will take some pain killers. And now the exact reason.. i have found.. "Not drinking enough water. mostly i intake less amount of water.. in a day..less than 2 liters of water.. and this is the culprit for my sufferings all these days.. Thanks a lot for enlightening me.. on my leg cramps.
hi glad it helped, and it really does work,if I dont drink enough sure as shooting I will wake up with humongous ones.
@beccarose (121)
Yeah, I get them because I'm pregnant, before I would only get them if I went swimming for awhile. People told me it was because I wasnt drinking enough water and because I needed to eat bananas more haha. What do I do? I wake up like moaning/low crying because it usually happeneds during the night and I don't like waking my husband up but every time it never fails. he wakes up and like half trys to rub my leg. Doesnt help usually until the cramp has already passed. But anyways! Good luck! - I drink a ton of water a day and it still happeneds. try stretching your legs more? maybe that will help. I'm going to try that too :)
Ihave read that too about stretching your legs and am going to try that as anything is better than that pain
@Modestah (11195)
I do get them - I try to stretch them out... which is fine for the calves and bottom of the feet - but when they are in the big toe it really hurts and I can not stretch it out.... I can not force the toe down... I usually elicit the help of my husband to massage it. I also get them in my abdomen and find those to be excruciating. my father got them all the time, and in the most unlikely places - like his cheek or his shoulder. I think your son is correct that it could be a missing mineral or vitamin in the body - but it also could be indicative of a medical problem such as a blood disorder or enlarged spleen... I think the missing element may be zinc or magnesium I don't know why I think this - I must have heard it somewhere.
I get them sometimes going clear up into my groin and that is so very painful like you said excruciating. I have talked to my primary care doctor and he said to get more calcium and also bananas.
@sherrir101 (3671)
Charley Horses. I used to get them so bad. I started eating a banana a day. They (charley horses) are caused, I believe, by a lack of potassium. A good way to get rid of them at the moment (like you can remember LOL) is to pull the tip of your foot, by the toes towards your head while sitting down. It stretches the calf muscle. Stay that way until the cramp eases. As much as this technique hurts at the time, it does eventually ease the cramp. Hope this helps you.
Thanks for reminding me I think I really did do something like that the second time it hit me. hurt like crazy but it worked thanks again.
@nova1945 (1614)
My husband used to get those a lot. He says it is a potassium deficency. He did stop getting those cramps when he started eating a banana every day, so maybe he is on to something there?
oh my bananas I forgot completely I usually keep some on hand too. thanks