What makes you or your family members cranky?

Cranky cat taking it out on a box - Our cat Tigger taking out his crank-ies on a cardboard box.
My hubby and I are self-employed entrepreneurs and work together from our two home-based offices. Many people tell us that they would find it hard to be around their partners all day...and work together as well. One of the things that David and I have learned is what makes us cranky...and what to do about it when we feel that way. When either one of is cranky we say so...and with that heads up are able to respect each other's need for space. We have figured out that being over-tired, going too long without eating, working too long without a break...and voice mail jail makes us cranky. Once you know the cause...it is easier to do something about it. So how about you...do or any of your family members ever get the 'crank-ies? If you what causes it...and what do you do about it? Do you vent, take it out on others...want to be left alone? Just curious... I included a photo of our cranky cat taking it out on a cardboard box! Have a good day whether you are cranky or not. (Smiles) Raia
@raijin (10373)
Usually it's my father who's the crankiest among us, we do understand him because he wasn't really here when we're all growing up and the way we behaved as a family. He works abroad, only stays with us for two months and then work again. I guess he's not used to how we behave now that we've grown old, he always gets moody whenever he gets frustrated for not easily following his orders. But those days were gone, the only time he gets cranky is when his blood pressure raises up and we need to bring him his medicine!
Greetings...and thanks for dropping by. What time is where you are? It 6:26 AM here. I am up early today...a switch from my usual night owl pattern. Did you get some sleep? You have mentioned that you often don't sleep that well. Does it make you cranky when you are short of sleep? Anyway, thanks for sharing a little about your family dynamics and your father's old/newer patterns. Sounds like you know what makes him cranky and how to resolve it. That is the best approach. Take care my friend..and we'll keep in touch. Raia
@raijin (10373)
It's 20 minutes before 8 in the evening here, it's still too early for me to get some sleep! I do have some moody and cranky mornings, but since it's mornings, I just try to keep my crankiness for myself. Like turning negative energy into positive, so no efforts are lost and besides, I have lots of things that could make my day happy!
@raijin (10373)
Oh yes, I forgot to say thank you for keeping a close watch on my activity here. I have finally reached it, 6004 and signing off soon (it's already 10:30 in the evening here).
@williamjisir (22903)
Hello my dear perspective friend. I have to say that it is great if both parties could find out what it is that makes both so cranky so that it will be settled soon in a peaceful way. Well, to be honest with you, I am the kind that is always trying to hide my cranky behaviour to my partner as I do not want to make her cranky because of my being cranky to her. Well, if I get her cranky, then my son and I would not have a good time as usual. She would not be happy to cook for us. lol. So my son and I are the ones to please her in any possible way so that we can always have our normal meals at home. I respect my wife, my queen, out of my love to her. . Smiling.
I like your approach...and I am sure your wife and son do to. Yes, there is no point in projecting crankiness outward to others because it can aggravate it for all concerned. Good to know how you resolve it...and I really like your loving comments about your wife. Sounds like you have good family dynamics there. You are so right that co-operation and self-accountability can keep life running smoothly. Thanks for dropping by again. I'm visiting you on your site too. I value our friendship and the interesting chats we have. Raia
It is the same here, dear Raia.
Thank you...I genuinely do appreciate your support, insights and positive feedback. Look forward to more because we do keep on keeping on! Enjoy your day...or evening. It is 8:30 AM here. Snow is melting and hopefully we'll have an early Spring. After our cold winters it is something David and I looking forward to...ah yes the garden beckons. Raia
@jcj_111776 (3220)
Hi raia. There's only the three of us here. My husband and our son. If you want to know what will make me very, very cranky.... one thing only. When I try to keep things tidy here in our house, but my husband and his "little partner" keeps making fresh supply of mess! As soon as I start feeling like that, the only way I can get rid of that crankiness, is to get out of the house, straight to the garden and pull out all the weeds I can find!It's a very effective way of curbing down my anger plus I get to eliminate the weeds. Now, the only thing that will make my husband cranky, is when he's very hungry. When he's feeling like that, I stay out of his way because if he snaps at me, I snap better!With our son, I think everything makes him cranky!Not being able to play his computer games at once, have to study first before TV time, having to get up to be ready for school... and the list is endless.
Hi friend.. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you here. As you know by my PM I've been really busy and very behind in my responses here. After we get back from Winnipeg on Wednesday I hope to be able to respond to every response and visit friends' sites. I will be dropping by yours and look forward to keeping in touch the way we always do. Now on to the crank-ies. The mess thing is a something that makes me cranky too! I recall us chatting about this and our hubs before. As I mentioned David is really into keeping our place in good order and I am hardly ever cranky about that anymore. I can appreciate how pulling weeds works off the frustration of a messy house. At least your garden will be in orderly...even when your two cohorts are in cahoots! Fun addition...hope you had an enjoyable Easter. We did! Raia
That's ok. I also get behind in my comments. And you do have a busy schedule especially with your work. You're so right with these two special men in my life. They make me happy and they make me also want to shout in frustration, "Stop making more mess!"But what I do is to teach my son even in an early age to pick up after his mess. That way, when he grows up, he knows what to do. Well, with his dad... I guess I'll always be heading straight to the garden to yank out more weeds!
Hi again.. I haven't been here and it is 12:39 AM and David is waiting for me so we can relax before going to bed. You should receive my rather lengthy response to your e-mail with the really cute photo of your smaller mess-maker! It is great that you are teaching him habits of tidiness...his future wife will thank you! In regard to your hubs...well...as you say...good thing you have weeds...to 'kill.' Better them than taking it out on your honey! (smiles) Anyway, thanks for your understanding about my replies...I eventually get back to them...and I plan to do get completely caught up before I post any new discussions. At least I hope to! We are off to dreamland...hope you have a rewarding day...and restful night...messes and all! Raia
@moneyandgc (3430)
I actually think my husband and I would do well running a business together. Lack of sleep is a big one that makes my family cranky. If I am in a bad mood it rubs off and everyone gets cranky. The same goes with my husband. We try and change the mood by getting away for awhile and doing something fun rather than giving in to the grouchiness. It doesn't always work but most of the time it does. For me since I don't work outside of the house; being shut inside the house for more than a day or two can make me extremely cranky! Thankfully my husband is considerate and knows this. He takes us out as often as possible even if he is really tired.
Ah...what I lovely post..thanks for offering it. You and your hubby sound like you have a very loving, honoring and understanding relationship. From the sound of it you work through your crankiness the way David and I do. We do run our businesses together and we also do our best not to feed into negative responses and it does work to get away from things for awhile. I don't like being couped up inside for too long either..although with our harsh Canadian winters sometimes we don't want to venture outside. Nice chatting with you.. Raia
@chiyosan (29942)
my mom would be very cranky usually if bills are already here. haha :P believe me its the best way to annoy her and destroy her day. :)
Hi... Oh yes...having the bills come in...especially all at the same time can make people cranky alright. At least you know what brings your mother's crankiness on and you can steer clear! Raia
@wisedragon (2330)
When stressors accumulate and become overwhelming, that's when tension is high here in our family. It is best to shut up and let the "hypertensive" person express himself/herself. Boy do we have a strong family history of hypertension! I'm glad I didn't inherit it. LOL
Hi again Wisedragon... Good to know you did not inherit the hypertension...especially if things become intense. I agree with you about letting people blow off steam to reduce the crank-ies. It is better than keeping it bottled up and having a coronary alright! Cheers, Raia
@charms88 (7543)
Hi Raia, I'm usually cranky whenever I didn't have enough sleep. I'm mostly secluded in my house working on my small business. A cup of brewed coffee always takes the crankiness away. I have 2 girls and you can imagine how often they tend to get cranky. I try to be cool headed but it is difficult really. What I will do is to distract them from their crankiness. Like offering to read a storybook, prepare their favorite snacks or go for a short stroll around the neighbor. Its a tough work.
Hi again.. Thanks for dropping by. I appreciated your openness on the looking good from the inside out discussion. We have had some parallel experiences from the sound of it. I find a steaming cup of freshly brewed coffee a great way to wake the brain up and move it onto a different track too. Your approach with your girls sounds like a good way to smooth rough waters. Yes, it is being able to get in touch with it...and find a way to handle it that seems to work best. Enjoy your day! Raia
@itsmepinky (1301)
Usually in my family my mom is the crankiest of all. She will keep on yelling and shouting at me even if one thing is out of place. She just doesnt know when to stop. She is full of rants and complains and she is always nagging. ~Pinks~
Hi Pinks.. Thanks for sharing your 'cranky scenario' with me. Sounds like your mom is on some kind of stress overload. Maybe she needs a hug...or for someone to encourage her to find a little 'me-time' to recharge herself. Anyway, good luck with warding off her rants...not fun! Raia
@Modestah (11192)
like for you, our crankies emerge when we have not had enough sleep - or at least not enough good sleep - or when we have not eaten in due time. We both prefer to be left alone when we are in our moods.
Hi again.. It has been awhile since we chatted and I hope all is well with you and yours...and that no one is too cranky. We seem to be of the same mind as to what contributes to the crankies...and some breathing space often helps. Raia
@Winter08 (441)
I forget between bouts of cranky just how much I HATE! HATE!! HATE!!! being cranky. I get cranky when I am tired to the point of exhaustion. And then I get cranky with everything/everyone that does not do what I want it to do. (I'm an equal opportunity crank.) I had thought I had reached a point where stupid things did not "crank" me up (I do so love to delude myself about myself) but had a vivid reminder last night that "it just ain't so." Fortunately, the only thing that paid the price was my paper shredder ... it is now no more. Totally destoyed! Ripped it apart!! That'll teach it for not doing it's job properly!!!
Wow...beat up paper shredder in the midst of your crankiness...hmmmm...good message for others to stay out of your way during those times. Yes, it is easy to delude oneself that the cranky meter is manageable. I have had times when my goes off the Ric tor scale when I least expect it too. We have a little female cat that is a sponge for attention...and sometimes her unrelenting need for attention makes me very cranky! Anyway, your post made me laugh...the visual way you described your attack of the paper shredder and that you are an equal opportunity 'crank-ster' is a hoot. Great addition...it got my best response because I enjoyed the chuckle. Raia
@alindahaw (1219)
My husband and I work at home too. He has an office downstairs and I work upstairs. We don't really get cranky easily and if we do get cranky, we get out of the house together. We are really good friends so even if we don't agree on a lot of things, we still manage to live together in peace. LOL