Do you think this Talk of alternative Fuel is Sustainable?

By Nic
@academic2 (7011)
Uganda
Am informed that Bio fuel talks are gaining ground in America. Big powers generally are worried that should there be a complete depletion of fossil fuel, and alternative should be bio-fuel, but this will take a lot of farm land to produce. How sustainable is bio-fuel?
@paid2write (5204)
The problem is that more farmers are starting to grow the crops which are used to make biofuel, which means there is less land used for growing wheat and other food crops. This has already raised the price of wheat and other basic food crops. It could become dangerous to reduce the amount of food available in order produce more fuel. It is good that governments are encouraging the use of new sustainable fuel sources, but it would be better to look at fuel produced from recycled or ready available sources than to change the balance in world food production.
@urbandekay (18314)
On the other hand, if it lead to an increase in the price of crops grown in poor areas of the world that would be a great benefit all the best urban
@urbandekay (18314)
Ah, I see I have answered your question incorrectly; is the talk of biofuels sustainable? Yes, I am sure we can continue to talk about it indefinitely! all the best urban
@urbandekay (18314)
I make biodiesel and run my Land rover on it, this small scale production is totally sustainable because I make it from used vegetable oil collected from local rester aunts. Is large scale production sustainable, where crops are grown specifically to convert to bio-fuel? Well, in UK for instance, much agricultural land is set aside, left fallow to prevent over production, if such land where bought back into production then it also might be sustainable provided the diesel used by the tractors involved in cultivation of the crop is significantly less than the fuel produced all the best urban