I need a typing course

@p1kef1sh (45640)
I am quite a good and fast typist, but not trained as such. Why is it that when I am typing responses of discussion topics they go awry. When I look up to check my typing it is a sea of red highlights where my spellchecker has given up trying to correct me. I have tried slowing down, but I don't improve. Am I alone?
@novataylor (6572)
Stop worrying about your typing, p1ke, for goodness sake. It's very readable, and you don't use that textspeak that I hate so much, and the value of what you write far outweighs any typos you might make. I make mistakes all the time, and I transpose letters like crazy, so I do a lot of backspacing and editing too. I hate putting stuff out here that is full of errors, but sometimes it happens. But, if that is the worst thing that happens today, I think we're doing fine.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Thank you Nova. I am going down with a cold, and being male, it will probably be terminal. Come and join me in Typist Hell.
Oh, sweet baby, shall I take your temperature? Be a good boy, drink fresh orange juice, take tylenol, get lots of rest and don't stay up all night typing. Hmmm, you did stay up all night recently, and look what happened - you've got a terminal cold. Umhmm. Good thing someone made you go to bed when you did, or you'd be even worse - think of it. So, if you must do something, you could do some writing. That would be a fun and, in the end, relaxing thing to do. And it would send you so nicely off to dreamland.....
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I shall see what can be done. Remember Arthur and his Round Table. So many knights, just the one damsel.....
@pumpkinjam (5774)
I'd like to say you're not alone but, as you know, I am fantastic so of course I don't make any mistakes! Haha. Actually, I try not to have spell checker on. Not because of my spelling (I am quite good at that) but for the fact that even the English spell check seems to be American. So, for example, I'll write "colour", which is correct because I'm English and the spell check will underline it because it thinks it should be "color". Then, there are names which just will not stay the way you want them to. The spell check doesn't recognise names as words so changes them automatically sometimes and you can't get the word you want to stay there. You'd think that someone somewhere would have been able to do something to make the spell checker realise that a word in the middle of a sentence beginning with a capital letter is a name and, therefore, would not be in it's own dictionary. Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant. I think my point was that it doesn't matter how good/bad your typing is, there will always be the little spell-check leprichaun telling you that you've gone wrong.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Or even leprechaun. Smug b*gger. Yes, the American spell checker annoys me too. But I have got used to it and as most of my respondents are in that part of the World I just view it as a courtesy to them. I wish. I just hate to look back at my words and see "i wndr wht i shal du nex". AAAgh.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
As your English and experience some of the frustration that I have with the American spellchecker I thought that you deserved the BR. No favouritism there then!
Thank you sir! As you have seen in a discussion of mine, it's my fingers which have a problem with the word "leprechaun", not my brain! They want to put "i" instead of "e" for some reason. I really had to think to spell it correctly there!
@CanadaGal (4304)
I am often a dyslexic typist. I will get all of the right letters in a word, but some of them are mixed up. It's still very legible, but certainly far from perfect. I get a lot of those red lines as well. I think that's only with firefox, is it not? I don't remember it doing that when I used to always use explorer. I make a lot of the same mistakes over and over again as well. Of course, now that I'm on the spot, and am trying to think of specific examples, I am at a loss. Sheesh!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I use Safari (Apple browser cos I've got an Apple computer). I don't do this when I write my bank or lawyer or Mom, so why on myLot. I have even managed to get this sentence "red". Good to know that there will be at least two, no three with Pumpkinjam below, in typist Hell.
When I was in grade school, my mother brought a Typing Master CD for me. I was addicted to it and that's why I could type without looking at the keyboard. I am also scoring high when we have "Speed Typing" Examinations during Computer Class. It's really beneficial since I really need to type fast when I'm a rush doing something like a project or a report. Try to buy a Typing Master kit or some sort. It will teach you the basics and will train you to be a good typist and... a Typing Master! :)
@p1kef1sh (45640)
That's a good idea. I have a friend that teaches typing, perhaps I shall enroll in her class.
That's better. Personal training could have some benefits too!
I am pretty good with typing but the keyboard does have a tendency to spell words how it feels like, making me look like a bad speller!! My fingers are sometimes going at crazy speed as Im thinking about the sentance that I want to say so when I go to proof-read what I have written Im like what.....I didnt write that!! Also the keyboard is set out differently to the ines IVe had previously, even when my mum comes over and uses my keyboard it baffles her and she uses computers daily and has done many typing courses!! So no p1ke is not just you, you're not alone on this!!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Oh yes. Frequently the time lapse between my brain kicking out a word and my fingers typing it seem to change the spelling or meaning of the word altogether. Glad I'm not alone.
@ruby222 (4848)
You are not alone by any means!!..im a 2 fingered typist ..though i can be fairly speedy if needed...i dont think anyone would ever give me a job as a typist though!!...my most often made mistake is to hit the caps button...then i type out the whole passage to look up and find that ive been `shouting` ..oh its maddening!!!..ive got to admit..if i see minor mistakes that i just leave them there!!!..oh what a sloth!!!...me not you...lolol
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Makes no difference whether I leave them or correct them. There is still at least one mistake in almost every post. I get so frustrated abut it.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
I just started to learn to type when I got my computer in 2002. I purchased software called "The Typing Tutor Deluxe." Between the software and Mylot, my typing has improved tremendously. Stick with Mylot, earning money is only one of the great benefits.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I'm sticking with myLot don't worry. But I am wondering where everybody is today.
I too am a good and fast typist but it is when I am typing what it is I have in my head that I am better than if I were typing off of a paper. When I am trying to type off of something that has already been written that is when I make my mistakes.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I rarely copy type. The thoughts that tumble out of my head sometimes come so fast that I am about a sentence ahead in my mind and that's when the cr*p starts. Sometimes I find myself struggling to think how to spell a very simple word and it all comes out jumbled. Perhaps I have typists dyslexia.