Come AND GET it ..... !!!

@Modestah (11192)
okay, you've bellowed for them that it is dinner time... now how do you serve it up? Do you dish it out at the stove and let them take their plates as you call them.... Does everyone dish up their own? Do you put the pots out on the counter (central island) buffet style leave them on the stove or set them on the table for a real family style dinner... Do you pass the served plate around the table or pass the pots to the people to take what they wish?
@nicholejade (2430)
Really depends on the occasion and what we are eating as well. I sometimes will dish it out for them and place it out for them. Sometimes I let them dish it out as they wish. Other times I will place it all in serving bowls and place it on the island and sometimes I will put it on the table in serving bowls. Usually on the island and on the table is for family functions such as Easter or Christmas and the other times is free for all.
@Modestah (11192)
that sounds about like how it is done here, at this house.
@bronie123 (4589)
Well it just depends sometimes i will fix 3 plates beacause i like being nice and i like to arange items cutely on the plate :) Other times i just let my fiance and brother get there on i depends on what the meal is and if were eating together that night
i usually plate up for them,except on holiday dinners.there's usually too many dishes involved,so i do the buffet style then,it's easier. especially thanksgiving..oh my god..
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
It's just my husband and myself, so I usually put everything on the table. If I've got a lot of stuff for some reason, some will stay on the stove or counter and we'll serve from there.
@surfette (674)
Growing up, we always ate at the table and passed the dishes to each other and I guess you repeat what you have learned. I almost always use serving dishes and we eat at the dining room table. Sometimes, I will pull out the insert to the crock pot and sit that at the table, because it's actually pretty and we can dish out our own portion of soup or stew. At the holiday time, I set everything up buffet style on side tables or there wouldn't be enough room on the table for all the place settings.
@lilybug (21148)
Some things get put on the table and some things get left on the stove top. Things that I know the kids are going to want seconds of are usually on the table. Other things like the main part of the meal stay on the stove top.
@ruby222 (4848)
Hi Modestah...well when my kids were all at home there was no earthly point in putting everything on the table...as they would have never been there to eat it,and at that time hubby was working all odd hours too...so the plan of action was to put it all on to the plates and just let them heat it when they wanted to eat it!!!...slovenly maybe,but its no good banging your head against a brick wall!!..it was just far easier for me to cope with..
@olivemai (4738)
We dish out the food some nights, since we do not have a lot of room in the kitchen! The older people will serve themselves. Special occasions we can eat at a restaurant or go to a picnic!
@michelyn (717)
This is totally dependent on the type of meal we are having and how many people are in attendance. Some nights we have fend for yourself night. Then everyone cooks and serves themselves. When it's just the four of us, half the time we leave the pots and whatnot on the stove and each person serves themselves. The other half of the time we will move the pots to the table and everyone serves themselves. Now if we have company over, either my husband or I will make plates for the kids and get them seated and let the rest make their own plates. The only exception to any of these is when my husband cooks, he will make my plate for me and vice versa. We've tried regularly making the kids' plates, but now that they are 16 and 14, we can never seem to get it right for them. Too much this... not enough of that... I don't like this anymore... Sheesh!
@ruby222 (4848)
Because of school,work etc I used to get really fed up when no one was around at mealtimes!!!! In the end if it were possible I plated it up...then let them help themselves and stick it in the microwave.... A very anti social way of doing it...I always ended up eating on my own!!!!
@gemini_rose (16193)
I dish it all up onto their plates in the kitchen and then they come and get it and go and sit at the table. It is just easier this way as then I can monitor what the kids are eating better. My nan used to put everything on the table for people to help themselves, I always liked it that way, and maybe as the kids get older I will do that myself.
@maddysmommy (16235)
Depending on what we are having and how large our meal is, I usually dish the food out and have my son come and get the plates and place them on the table. Some nights we eat in the lounge area since it's only three of us. If we have guests then everything is served in bowls and placed on the dining tble then we all sit down and serve ourselves. If it's just a social event with friends then everything is left in the kitchen and its a help your self kinda meal like a buffet.
@jillhill (37383)
I have a very small kitchen and dining room...so I have to put out the food on the counter and have them dish up for themselves.
@mamasan34 (6521)
It just depends on if we have company or how many people are actually sitting down to eat with us. If we have company I usually put everything buffet style on the counter and let everyone pick and choose as they like. If it's just us at home, then I usually dish everything out at the stove and pass the plates to everyone. I know what everyone likes in my family so I know just what to put on their plates. When I was growing up we used to just put everything on the table and we would take turns dishing our food up!
@KarenO52 (2951)
Since my hubby is a nut about his food being extremely hot, I leave everything in pots on the stove. He'll put hot food on his plate, and then heat it up in the microwave. When I have a crowd over for food, everything is served buffet style.
@kimbers867 (2540)
If it is an everyday dinner, I do set the table and we put everything on the table. If we are having company then I do it buffet style with food on the kitchen counter and the breakfast bar. Just makes it easier in both situations.
I always filled the plates in the kitchen and let them go back for refills if needed. this way there was less wasted foods and people could choose what they wanted for seconds.