My Cats have to go to the Cattery Today & they are both Hiding under the Bed!

@jennybianca (12918)
Australia
It is a real nuisance & happenings every time. As we are going away for Easter, both my cats are booked into the vets cattery for five nights. I was due to have them there at 9.15am & it is now 9.50. Both sem to "know" and are hiding under the bed. One of them, Kiwi, I should be able to retrieve, but the other, Scamper, lives up to her name. I have always told the vet that Scamper can tell the time & has ESP. There is no way I can crawl under the bed to retrieve her. Rewards such as rattling the food box dont work. She knows every trick. I have another 7 hours to get her out & to the cattery before we have to leave. Anyone would think she will come out by then, but that is not neceassarily so.
@byfaithonly (10716)
I have never understood why people think that cats are stupid but I've heard this a million times - they are NOT stupid, they are very smart and I have no doubt at all that your cat knows exactly what is going on. I'm sure by now you've gotten on your way but am hoping you didn't have to struggle or stress too much longer.
@jennybianca (12918)
I ended up having to wait for 2 hours before one cat consented to come out from under the bed.
@byfaithonly (10716)
Oh goodness - I would have been going crazy knowing I had a million other things to do to get ready to go and waiting on a cat. Hate to say it but 2 hours I would have been tempted to leave a bucket of water, big bowl of cat food, clean litter box and say 'your on your own'.
@jennybianca (12918)
At one stage we thought there was a possibilty that my father wouldn't be able to visit the dogs once each day & feed them. So, thats exactlky what I had planned to do. Leave buckets of water & buy two of those slow release bowls for food. Not a really good idea though, as the dogs would bark continuously. I tried leaving the cats at homne for my father to look after once, but they kept trying to sneak out (and one did) & it stresses my father.
@weemam (13389)
We had a rough collie like that , He saw the van and sat down , he wouldn't move lol , we always had to carry him , he knew we were going away , only did it twice :) :)
@jennybianca (12918)
Dogs can be just as astute! I can't imagine trying to carry a heavy collie who refused to move!
@jennybianca (12918)
My Dad still talks about a dog they had when he was a kid, & he is 75 years now. Goes to show how pets can be true members of our family.
@Fishmomma (11563)
Sorry I don't have any suggestions, as this has never happened to me. My fish can be impossible to get out of the fish tank. Its terrible when they hide and I'm in a hurry to get them all out of the tank. I think all animals can sense when they are going some place they don't want to go now. Hope you get a good solution from somebody else.
@jennybianca (12918)
My daughter worked in a pet shop during the Christmas Holidays, & she found trying to catch fish in their aquariums quite a trying exercise.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Poor things want to stay home... Do you have anyone to give them fresh water every day so they can stay at home while you're away? You could leave lots of bowls of food out for them and have a friend come over every day to give them fresh water and that way they'll be happy at home instead of being at a place that isn't home to them. Just a suggestion hon because cats are so different than dogs.
@jennybianca (12918)
I tried that idea years ago with my father coming around to feed them. The trouble was that one of them, would get upset that we weren't at home & go away & hide & not appear for 5 days. This stressed my father out. She turned up when we got home & had lost a lot of weright. If I keep them inside whilst away, they spend a lot of time trying to get out.
I am glad you cannot see the big grin on my face because I have been there and done that and at the time it was not the least bit funny. I wish you lots of luck because I do believe our pets are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.
@jennybianca (12918)
Yes, I guess many of us have had the problem with the "clever pet syndrome". One of cats is not at all bright, & is easy to trick, but scamper is oh, so clever... and I am sure she has ESP.
I love cats and they do seem to be able to tell when something that they may not like is going to happen. When I would have to take my cat to the vet it was like pulling teeth to get a hold of her. She would just stay an arm length out of my reach. So I know what you are talking about when you say it is a nuisance to get your cats to take them to the cattery.
@jennybianca (12918)
Its funny how they seem, to just "know" what you have planned & take action. How long would you spend catching your cat?
Well this discussion is 4 mos old, and yes I am that slow, so how did it go?
The first time I had to travel away from my cat I ook him to a local kennel just up the street for the duration of my trip, and he didn't like it that muc, but te next two times that I had to travel, a friend of mine took care of him and he was much much happier.
@twoey68 (13662)
LOL I agree that some of them actually know and can sense when somethings up. Once a year I have to take Morgana to the vet for her shots and she seems to know and will run and hide. I have to wait awhile...act like it's just another day...she'll creep out and watch me. When she sees me not interested in grabbing her she will come closer and rub on me and that's when I grab her. I usually get bit for it (nothing serious) and she cries all the way there and back. She also refuses to have anything to do with me for the rest of the day. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~