Do you hang clothes out to dry?

Clothesline - Laundry Day!
I saw a cute term for doing so...you are using your "solar powered clothes dryer". lol Anyway, I have never done this but I would like to. Any tips, tricks or stories?
my wife and i live in a subdivision with a large back yard and we hang our clothes on a clothes line in the summer months..the clothes dry a lot faster in the sun and heat of summer spring and even fall..but in the rain or snow times we use the electric dryer or hang them up in the basement to dry..its all good..it makes the clothes last longer and are fresh from the sun
Oh, I just commented on how I'd heard that people hang in basements when weather won't permit it outside. Thanks so much for your response!
in the winter time the drying clothes added "humidity" to the air ..as in the winter months it get too dry..no humidity..so we cook a lot of soup on the stove ..we have three humidifier..on in the living room and one inte basement and one in my bedroom...it keeps the air from being too dry..bad for sinus and virus's as virus thrive on "dry" air..also the virus like the temp. below fourtys
@bdugas (3584)
There is nothing like hanging sheets out on the line in the summer time to dry. They smell so clean and fresh when you put them on the bed at night. I don't hang too many out now adays. Towels seem to become rough even though you use fabric softner. White stuff is good to hang out the sun bleaches them out. i hand thing like table cloths or curtains out. Yes make sure you put clothespins on them or the wind will blow them all over the yard.
That is wonderful info- thank you! Good to know about the towels, I want soft towels. Sheets and whites good, towels bad. Got it. Thank you for your response.
@bdugas (3584)
Your very welcome, my daughter has this huge enclosed patio and she hangs everything she washes out ont he patio, but then she likes to iron and I iron when it necessary. She says saves electric and makes them smell clean. But them towels got to be rough.
@lkbooi (16102)
Hi above31rubies, though my son had bought us a dryer last year, my husband still insists to dry our clothes on the lines outdoor. He believes that sunlight could kill germs and fungi more effectively. He also likes the fresh smell of the sun dried clothes. Moreover he also says that drying clothes under the sun could save lots of electricity. However we do use the dryer during rainy days.
I think the electric savings will be a huge plus! Thank you for responding.
@Ldyjarhead (10161)
I have in the past, but not all that often. When I was a kid, my mom always did. She loved to wash blankets and such and hang them outside on what she called a 'blowy day'. I would use a clothesline again if I had a place to do it. Make sure you don't hang them under a tree or elsewhere that birds can congregate overhead (for obvious reasons). I always liked to dry them and just tumble in the dryer for a minute or so to soften.
Eew. Yes, birds would be a problem. You are the second or third person to mention tumbling them for a few minutes in the dryer so I will definitely do that. Thanks!
@whyaskq (7553)
Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of using the 'solar powered clothes dryer'. Everytime when I take out the clothes to dry, those neighbours upstairs will create artificial rain. Hence, most of the time, I just hang my clothes indoor or I resort to using the 'energy powered' clothes dryer - the fan.
HHmmm...artificial rain...I am afraid to ask. I have heard of die-hards who hang their clothes indoors due to (real) weather related issues. It works! Though I'm sorry you *have* to just because your neighbors are rude... :(
@KrisNY (7609)
Yes---- every time I was in the nice weather- I love the smell of clothes dried in the outdoors-- plus it saves electricity. Be sure to use fabric softner... hang the clothes with clothes pins-- I hang all clothes from the top-- I also shake them out before hanging them out-- this gets rid of wrinkles. I take the jeans, and towels and put then in the dryer after they dry-- to make them softer. when they are dy be sure to shake them out again- I have had bees in my pants once and got stung when I put them on!
Great tips, thank you so much! A bee?!? OUCH!!!!
@chiyosan (29388)
Yes! My mom hangs them outside to dry. She wanted to have the sun have the clothes dry - she said clothes smell better if it is "sun-dried" than when it is dried inside the house. Which, i think sometimes maybe correct.
I have always heard that- and sheets especially like some have said here. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for responding.
You have never hung clothes outside? Really? Well I have a clothes dryer but I only use it a couple of times a year. The rest of the time my clothes are hung outside.
lol! Really! I couldn't do it year-round because of weather, although the Amish hang in freezing temperatures so I know it can be done, but I will definitely do it more this summer. Thanks for responding.
@NeoComp (1321)
yeah I do this, but not all the time. I do it sometimes. It depends on which clothes I am washing that day etc.
I think many days I would opt for easier so it wouldn't be an every time thing for me either. Thanks for your response.
@miller1978 (1104)
Make sure you got some clothes pins to hold them onto the line so they don't fly off if the wind picks up. I hang mine out when it's nice outside to get the fresh air smell. Plus it also cuts down on our bills by saving electricity. Ever since I can remember through my childhood we always hung the clothes outside.
I suppose not flying away would be a good thing! lol We could certainly use a lower electric bill. Thanks for responding!
I used to when we lived back on the farm in s.D but not here in southern california where we have to use washers and drivers which is okay but the clothes do not have that nice clean odor from the sun and fresh air I sort of miss that
I guess the dryer is alot quicker and easier, but the feeling and freshness of hanging them out seems to be a favorite among many. Thank you for responding.
Well I like to put the sheets and blankets out on a warm sunny day but I dont like stiff clothes and when I hang towels, jeans, etc out on the line it just isnt the same as using a fabric softener sheet and putting them through the dryer. They have weird creases in them or they are stiffer than normal and I dont like that.
@reejane (295)
We always do it here in the Philippines. It's actually a common thing to do after you laundry the clothes. Make sure that the line where you will hang the clothes is secured. Used pins to secure the clothes to the line. Lastly, make sure it's under the sun to dry the clothes fast :)
I used to always hang clothes out to dry on the line. When we moved we didn't have a place for a clothes line, but now I do have a line. I have not taken the time to put very many items on the line to dry lately with not being able to be at home. I do not want to leave them on the line overnight. I plan to hang clothes on the line on the days that I will be at home to get them off the line. I helps out with the electric bill.