Saline spray

@Trace86 (5033)
I know that Afrin-type nasal sprays are bad for you in the long run. They cause rebound congestion and such. Do you think you can overdo the saline nasal sprays? I just can't seem to get my nose to clear the last few days and have been using a lot of sprays of the saline to try to loosen and moisturize. I was wondering if there is a limit to how many times a day you can safely do this.
@fineartist (1217)
Due to chronic sinus problems and resulting congestion, I use saline nasal sprays as often as possible. One of my allergists told me it is O.K. to do this. I think it is helpful in relieving congestion. Also, I have not noticed any problems as a result of using saline nasal sprays frequently.
@Trace86 (5033)
One of my friends at work uses a netipot to irrigate her sinuses. Have you ever tried this? I am afraid of drowning myself!
I used to use saline spray a lot before I got too sensitive to sodium, even when it was sprayed instead of eaten. I don't think there's any harm if it is truly saline spray that you are using. I used mine about three times a day and it actually helped. I never got a rebound, even when I totally stopped using it. I use Nasalcrom now and it works pretty good and there's no rebound with that, either. Though, you do notice it when you stop using it because allergies will return. I used to use Nasalcrom back when it was prescription only and had no problem, which is why I use it now.
You are right, Afrin-type sprays do that pretty quickly! I use a saline spray and use it about 3 times per day, sometimes more. My sinuses are bad! I have so many allergies, too. So I have ended up with 3 nasal sprays: the saline over-the-counter one; Astelin; and Nasonex (a cortisone spray). All 3 work pretty good together. It's a pain to spend all day doctoring your nose, though! But this combination has really helped me. I don't really think there is a limit on how many times you can use the saline spray. Call the pharmacist and he/she can probably tell you.