Thank God, Help Is On The Way!!!!!

@Rozie37 (15503)
Turkmenistan
Today I was hanging out with my friend whose boyfriend is an alcoholic. I had been wanting to contact someone to help him out a while ago, but since I met him through her, I wanted to wait for her to decide to contact someone. So I continued to pray. Today she asked me if I thought it was time to contact his family. I was so happy to say yes. We decided not to contact the mom, because she lives out in Louisiana and we were not sure if she could take it. Being that she sounds so sweet over the phone. He has a brother who lives out here and has come to visit him several times. My friend was too nervous, so she had me call and talk to the brother. I let him know what had been going on and tried to show urgency, without panic. I told him that the board and care where we stay are threatening eviction and gave him the number to contact the administrator. He said that he would be out to see his brother on Thursday. When I got off the phone with him, his girlfriend thanked me and hugged me. She felt much more relieved than I did and more than I thought she would. All of a sudden we were not the only ones looking out for his best interest. We had gotten the family on board. Then a little while later, the mother called from Louisiana. My friend's mouth dropped open. She was nervous, but she had spoken to her before. Come to find out, he had been through a similar thing before. When his six children were little, he had left their mother with them and went out on the street to keep drinking. She told my friend to tell him to go up to the owners and tell them that he was not going to do this anymore. She said that he can not be put out of here, because there is no where else for him to go. This is why I said that it is something similar. She does not know yet that he can not just quit on his own this time. His body is physically dependent on the alcohol and the only way he can kick the habit is through detoxification. There is a difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse. Abusing it means that you go on binges and drink too much. Alcoholism means that you have to have it. Alcoholism is like a catch 22. If you keep drinking you can die and if you try to stop on your own, you can also die. So his only solution is detox.
@mansha (6301)
Thing is no help is better than self help and I think your friend needs to come out clear with this boy that his drinking is problematic and he needs help and then may be you can join in and counsel him and urge him to go and get help. This is serious isssue and everyone including his family needs to counsel him gently. Unless he agree to it no amount of rehab can help him. As they say recognising that you have a problem is the first step to treating it.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
His girlfriend and I tried getting through to him. Then when they threatened to evict him from his him, we decided to get his family involved. Thanks for commenting.
@mansha (6301)
So what was his response, is he ready to try? If not then I suggest its better that you two also leave him to his resources and may be you are fighting a battle already lost. Do not let your friend ruin her life trying to change him.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
He does not want to try. This is why we called the family to step in. We realized that there was nothing more that we could do or say to help him. We felt we couldn't just ditch him, there was no one else who cared enough to try and help.