Negative Ratings

@clrumfelt (5425)
What is your own criteria for giving someone a negative rating on their post? I only give a negative rating if someone is abusive, offensive or vulgar in their post, or if their post is completely off the topic of my discussion.
My criteria is exactly the same as yours. I try not give them very often as I don't think they're very helpful, but sometimes people really have nothing positive to add to MyLot. It's a shame really. I give positive ratings all the time though!
@clrumfelt (5425)
I give positive ratings most of the time too. It's rare to run across a post that is totally off the topic or someone who is rude and abusive to the others.
I give a negative mark if the responce is totally off of what the main subject is. I dont rate post that often and usually I give " + " marks.
@clrumfelt (5425)
I think when we rate the posts like that, and also to monitor abusiveness we are helping to make MyLot better.
Having long been a victim of unfair negative ratings, I follow guidelines much the same as yours. The GOLDEN RULE, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." is excellent advice that very much applies here. I'm very much of the opinion that the people who go around rating negative without commenting in a discussion are narrow minded, passive aggressive cowards lacking the courage of their convictions and the intellectual skill to explain themselves as to their disagreement with the person rated negatively.
@clrumfelt (5425)
Good point. If someone gives a negative rating, he should at least post a comment explaining why. The Golden Rule is a very good standard to apply with this.
I don't give out negatives on anyone. I will not rate them at all if thats the case. I have seen first hand how that has been abused. If the need arises for me to give one. That means it's violation of something that mylot needs to know of. I have only reported one person on mylot. No two people but the second I did to help someone get her post removed. Her boyfriend saw it and problems began at home. So I went to mylot to ask for their help.
@clrumfelt (5425)
I feel that if we honestly rate people's responses, not based on whether we agree with them, but on whether theypost their content under the appropriate discussion, and whether or not they are abusive to other MyLotters, then we are helping to make MyLot better. Of course if we rate other users negatively just b/c we disagree with them or don't like them, that is just plain wrong.
@chiyosan (29388)
i dont usually give negative ratings. i think i have only given about 1 or 2 negative ratings and that was when someone was bashing a person in the discussion, i think that kind of attitude is uncalled for.
@clrumfelt (5425)
Good point. I would never give a negative rating just b/c I disagreed with someone's post.
@chunter (1761)
I would give negative ratings if I find the mylotter vulgar, rude, obnoxious and misleading other people with incorrect information... Unfortunately, giving such negative ratings seem to have an impact on my own ratings as well...And therefore I haven't been giving negative ratings too much now....I think its plain silly to rate someone negatively while getting one's own ratings lowered especially when one is trying to help make mylot a more friendlier place...
@clrumfelt (5425)
That doesn't seem fair. MyLot does screen out certain words so maybe that will cut down on the obnoxious and vulgar posts.
@foxyfire33 (10017)
My criteria are basicaly the same as yours. I will report some of those as necessary. I also give negatives to people who leave misleading information about mylot...you know, the bad stuff that could really confuse new users who don't know any better yet. The only other time I leave negatives is on those posts that are maybe two words at most and make absolutely no sense.