Have You Ever Run Out of Gas While Driving?

@omupas (1243)
A few years back I was driving home from work, and the low fuel light was on while I was on my way to work but I didn't have time to fill up in the morning as it would have made me late for work. Well, on my way home from work, sure enough, the car died on me. Lucky for me, there was a gas station less than a half mile away, so I walked to the gas station and filled up one of those portable gas containers and got my car over to the gas station to fill it up. Now, I rarely ever let my car go past half empty because of that experience :) How about you, have you ever run out of gas while driving?
Yes, I have...And its so funny, a friend and I used to run out so much that we had it down to a science. We even knew the sound the car would make before we were running out. We could even judge how far we could go until we had to get gas again.
@writersedge (22579)
I can't believe you haven't ruined your car. The bottom of most gas tanks have lots of junk in them so it's not even a good idea to go below 1/4 tank, to say nothing about constantly running out.
@saundyl (9690)
My boyfriend (a mechanic) tells me that letting a car or truck get under a 1/4 tank is bad for the fuel pump as it heats up faster without the gas around to keep it cooler.
Yes i have. i have done that a few times.Some time i am so busy i dont think to look at the gas. Then i have to call my husband and listen to him b##ch! LOL
@writersedge (22579)
It doesn't destroy your car? The junk that comes up from the bottom of the tank can get in the engine and really, really do damage. Especially once a car gets older.
only once. when my father had a 59 dodge his gas tank indicator was broke and i was on a date with my girlfriend from Indiana (I went to Tri State College in Angola Indiana) and we were coming back from the date and my father's car ran out of gas a few miles from home so I called my folks and they had my brother come with some gas as he had a gas station and a tow truck business. My folks were very angry that I ran out of gas but I never took there car again without filling it up...and since then I always make sure my gas tank goes not get below a quarter of a tank unless i am on a trip..its not good for the car to let the gas run out plus its dangerous to drive through some areas and break down.
yes, thanks for this nice response..i had this same car on a date..and we live in Neport, Mi bu Monroe, Michigan but I would take my date in the Windter to Fort George Drvie in as they had heaters as well as the speakers to see the movie..so my date and I went and enjoyed our date..but the next day my father could not start his 59 Dogdge Royal Lancer as the battery was low...this Chrysler product was bad for hard starting sometimes..when it got cold and damp..so at the dinner table my father would ask me like a Holy Inquisition:1, Did you play the radio? while the car was off? 2. Did you have the heater on? while the was off? the blower? etc? 3. Did you have the lights on? while the car was off? 4. many such silly and redundant questions that I was disgusted and ashamed! I BLURTED OUT THAT I DID NOT HAVE ANYTING ON IN THE DRIVE IN!so my five year older brother who was 21 said "oh my.my.you did not have anyting on in the drive in! and the rest of the family all laughed at me! and my fahter and mother stared at me as I was not even stating college yet and they did not even wanting me to date and take my minds off my studies...but it make me feel ashamed..now I would have laughed too..but then it was such an insult..lol
@Aingealicia (1906)
Not unless the Subway does. Ainge
@skysuccess (8882)
I did not have such an encounter so far as I always make it a point to maintain a 75% full policy. This is because of my experience with a leakage from the gas tank by accident during a long drive for my holidays. Having gone through the feeling of anxiety and abandonment was enough for me. May sound like a control freak here, but I feel we should be safe than sorry here.
@writersedge (22579)
When I was learning how to drive, I just drove and drove my car until it ran out. People (parents, driving instructor) taught me everything except to check the gas gage and how to fill it up. Luckily it was a beautiful day out.
@naniglavs (210)
no....no chance...as my car runs on petrol.............