How do you keep your kids out of things?

@lilybug (21148)
My 14 month old daughter is always getting into everything. She climbs on tables and inside cabinets. Over the back of the couch and into drawers. She has recently been trying to open doors. I have threatened to lock her in a dog cage before(see attached picture). I am not sure what to do with her. Any ideas?
@alexigne (903)
I was with my mother together with my daughter. She help me raising my child. That age was really curious on everything and even putting everything they hold into their mouth. WE just put all things that may hurt her away or unreachable. We also put something on the stair to keep her safe. The best one is keep our eye on her.
@lilybug (21148)
I am not afraid of her getting hurt on any of these things really. She is really smart and a great climber. It is mainly just that she seems to make such a mess out of everything.
@alexigne (903)
That was already a part of there growing nature. I'm glad you have a smart kid, like my kid too. They were curious on everything and love to plays. After wards they just let it everywhere. You can't avoid the mess because kids don't know how to keep it again. On my experience, after playing those stuff, i let my child to watch me what to do next. Like keeping those stuff on the cabinet. I always do it and then even though its not easy for the child, you will see her trying to keep the mess. They will imitate whatever you will do.That was the good thing about it. Conditioning will be the best thing for me.Just like my kid attitude of putting garbage on the trash and we are really happy to see her do that.
@Sillychick (3279)
My son likes to get into everything. What I did was put locks on cabinets that I absolutely wanted to keep him out of. Then I chose a couple that he could get into, and made sure there was nothing unsafe in them. There were things like mixing bowls, pots and pans, and his toys. Trying to keep toddlers out of everything is a losing battle. So I chose to compromise. I let him get into a little bit of stuff- of my choosing, and that makes it easier to keep him out of the rest. The trade off is that sometimes I can't find what I need, or I have to rewash the pots before I use them. It is worth it to avoid constantly scolding him or removing him from everything. It is great too, because it keeps him occupied in the kitchen while I am cooking or cleaning up. Children are naturally curious, so it is good to allow them to explore. Just keep it safe and within reason. You could even convert one cabinet in the kitchen to her space, with her toys or pots and bowls that you don't use often that she can play with.
@lilybug (21148)
She has her own cabinet with stuff that she can mess with. It does not stop her from getting into everything. She even took everything out of one of the cabinets the other day and climbed in it and tried to shut the door.
@ersmommy1 (12600)
I have a niece like that. She like her cousin(my daughter) both have had my heart in my throat more than a time or two. Short of duct taping her to the wall(kidding) I don't know. Just keep a watchful eye on her.
@lilybug (21148)
keeping kids out of things - how do you do it?
She is a handful that is for sure.