Have you ever heard of Tonsils Rottening Out?

@icyorchid (2564)
My daughter's boyfriend has been feeling sick, and he thought it may have been tonsilitus. He still had his tonsils and his throat was really sore. He made a doctor's apt. for today and the doctor told him he has bad allergies and his tonsils had rotted out! I have never heard of tonsils doing that before today. Is this something that happens? Do tonsils rot out or is this just a miracle to a select few not having to go through surgery? Strange if you ask me. Have a great day!
@stephcjh (32327)
Yes. I have heard of it and I have seen it myself. One of my tonsils is smaller than the other one and I can only assume it is rottening out. Every now and then I have to spit a small piece of it out, but not very often. It is a small white piece. I guess it turns white when it rots. I know it sounds gross but it really isn't. It looks like a piece of cauliflower or bread. It is very strande but I am so glad that I have not had to have surgery for it yet.
@icyorchid (2564)
WOW what do you think caused it?
@stephcjh (32327)
The only thing I can think of that may have caused it, is that I have been sick so many times with strep throat. I think they just decided to rot after being infected so many times. Only one of them has done it though. Every now and then I get a piece of it to spit out. Maybe twice a year.
@queenofarms (1665)
OMG...I never heard of anyones tonsils rottening out. But I guess anythings possible. I'd rather them rot out then have to go through survey myself.
@icyorchid (2564)
I agree. lol I went through the surgery when I was 6 I think I know I was younger than 8 and my daughter went through it when she was 3.
@jhl930 (3605)
I haven't ever heard of that I would have just assumed that someone was trying to play a joke on me if someone that I knew had came to me and tried to tell me that stuff because honestly I don't really know that a lot of people have ever heard of that that just sounds like something that you would see in a sci fi movie or something like that...but maybe it was just a miracle because again I haven't ever heard of anything like tonsils rotting out or anything like that...but then again I am not a doctor or anything... JHL930
@icyorchid (2564)
Oh yes if it wasn't a doctor that told him that, I would say the same thing.
Oh My Gosh that sounds really gross. I have never in my life heard of this happening. very weird
@icyorchid (2564)
I agree gross and weird.
Yeah my tonsils are completely gone. they started rotting away when i was about 5. The Doctor told my mother there was nothing to worry about. They would eventually rot away all together. Sure enough by the time i was 20 they were gone. I watched them get smaller and smaller. I do not have allergies or had very bad sore throats when I was growing up. I did not have a bad taste in my mouth or feel it fall off. I found it very strange and never thought any more of it until today and went on here looking for answers.
@KKKBsmom (1093)
Wow I have never heard of this before... but I bet it is true! cause if you have really bad allergies you have really bad drainage (usually)... I I can see this happening!
@sedel1027 (17854)
Hmm. Well I have never heard of it, but I can see it happening. I mean people have teeth that they leave in their mouths that are rotting away. Bacterial attack the tonsils, so it could happen.