Meditating is not easy to do so how does one start?

@deeeky (3668)
Edinburgh, Scotland
It is not easy to switch my mind off the everyday things that go on so what does one concentrate on to get the meditation on track. If we are somewhere else , how do we get back to reality?
@Darkwing (21588)
First, you need quiet, so as not to be distracted. A darkened room helps and a candle. Purple is a good colour candle, and incense will also help calm you. If you have any problems with noise outside, then some soft, wordless, meditation music will help as well. There are different positions in which one can meditate but we'll assume you're sitting. You'll need to be seated comfortably and totally relaxed. Sit and gaze into the candle's flame for a while and try to clear you mind of all thoughts. Concentrate on your breathing exercises until you feel you've opened your mind's eye, where your meditation will begin. Don't meditate for more than ten to fifteen minutes a day, and don't forget to ground yourself when you come out of your meditation. This can be done by drinking a glass of water, of connecting with Earth in some way... a grounding stone, or something similar. I have a few initial meditation exercises if you'd like me to send them to you, but they're too long to put in here and there's a possibility somebody might object to them. I hope I've helped, my dear friend... Brightest Blessings. x
@deeeky (3668)
• Edinburgh, Scotland
Why is purple a good colour, and if you stare into the candles flame would that not be detrimental to the eyesight?.
@Darkwing (21588)
Purple is the colour of spirituality, strength, passion and meditation and helps us to align ourselves with the Universe, obtain wisdom and be at one with the World. No, the candle won't damage your eyes. Candle meditation is a particularly strong technique for learning to meditate. Light is descriptive of self-realisation, spirituality, enlightenment, illumination and radiance, and meditating on a candle can awaken the spiritual element. A candle's flame holds the eyes, thus increasing your ability to focus on a single object. The light makes an impression on the retina which can be retained when the eyes are closed, heightening awareness and illuminating consciousness. It's not like looking at the Sun, my friend.
@deeeky (3668)
• Edinburgh, Scotland
Thank you for that explanation my friend. Another question I have is that you say we need peace and quiet, but if someone does not have that luxury, is there a way that meditation can still be done whilst noise is all around us?
@underdogtoo (9599)
A very wise man has said that meditation is possible anywhere in this planet and one does not need special things to engage in it. Without the proper frame of mind, one cannot meditate properly. A yogi in a cave with no distractions can think of a mango tree growing somewhere which have ripe fruits and this can distract his mind to such an extent that he rises from his meditation pose and makes a journey towards that mango tree. A man living in the city can turn his mind off to the distractions of the city and meditate well enough to gain the benefits.
@deeeky (3668)
• Edinburgh, Scotland
I would agree with that once the mind is trained to be able to go to that mango tree but one must know how to train the mind.