Have you cared for or assisted a neighbor?

I have an elderly neighbor who has arthritis and other health challenges. After she got carried away in an ambulance, I happened to walk over to her apartment and noticed that her plants, formerly her pride and joy, were all but dead due to the fact that she had been unable to water them... I must admit that I felt guilty as I had been self absorbed and had not noticed her needs... I water them now weekly as she has returned home but is unable to water them and assist as needed. Have you had times in your life when you ignored or did not notice your neighbor and then had something happen that made you realize their importance and the need to assist them?
@SViswan (12071)
Yes, but I usually offer my help and wait to asked what to do. I know that most neighbours wouldn't want help that isn't asked for. But I'm also close to most of them that they are free to call me up and ask for a particular help. Recently, one of my neighbours met with an accident and his wife had to be with him in the hospital. Their 7 year old daughter had to be left somewhere....the mother's first thought was to leave her with me ....because my son's the same age, they are good friends...and she's here almost all the time.....but then the mother considered the fact that I had a toddler too....and I would have a hard time handling all of them for a couple of days and so she left her daughter with another neighbour...but when I offered to help...she asked me to make sure to open the door for the maid and to water her plants and get a few groceries for her when I went shopping. I usually am the first to offer help to anyone....and most of the neighbours I am friendly with...offer their help too. So, we've never been in the situation you were.
I am glad that you know your neighbors enough to offer service and to know what is needed.
Yeah, once in a while I get in touch with a guy, who used to be my next-door neighbor. I still think of him a lot. I really enjoy getting with him a lot. I helped him with lots of certain stuff. I understand that he always have jobs to do for people. I knew that he has a new wife now. He is in his 70s now. He is still active. I always think of him a lot. He is Catholic just like I am.
Dear Jakesnake, Thanks for sharing about your kindness and friendship with that 70-year-old friend. It is nice of you to help him and it is great to hear that he is recently married. Wishing him and his new wife and you too the best.
@nowment (1758)
We were taught the concept of common courtesy, and that you should put yourself in another's place. There was an older woman, who owned a 3 family home around the courner from where I lived, we knew her sister, and knew none of her five children would help two of which lived a block away from the property, nor would their teens or spouses do anything. So in the winter after I finished shoveling the snow from my home, I would go around the block even though as I said there were 4 adults and 5 teens living as close as I who wouldn't do anything for their mother / grandmother, and I Would shovel the snow from the front of her home, she used to worry fret and stress over the issue of the snow not being shoveled, later she just assumed I would do it for it. Kind of sad that there were 9 people who were related to her and wouldn't do it. I just couldn't see letting her self stress over it, the area was relatively small when it came to doing the shovelling it was likely the smallest area I ever shovelled, Years later one of those who was another neighbor from when we lived there was someone whom I would still go over see that he had groceries, and shovel in winter, that kind of thing. Even though as I grew I no longer lived in the same town, and years had passed I still went over. After a while you get to know that when someone is elderly and alone, then someone needs to be there for them. If I couldn't have been there for my family I would hope that someone would step up.
Thanks for what you did for that woman and for others in your life that you have helped. I pray that you will always be well rewarded for the kindnesses that you have extended to and continue to extend to others.
@casita (237)
I do try to help where I can. I have a neighbor who was taken by ambulance a few months back. Although I offered to help out, get her prescriptions, run errands, etc., the family seemed to take care of her. But I do offer to help where and when I can. One day I may need the help, and, hopefully, whill have neighbor who will do the same for me.
It is good that you tried to offer help even though it was not needed... Yes, we never know when we ourselves will need the help. It is good to offer service from the heart just as we would wish that we ourselves were treated in the same circumstances.
@madlees (1381)
I had one elderly neighbour who was living here next door. Her children never used to take care. She was living alone. Her children had grand children of their own but never cared for their mother. This lady used to come and sit with me and chat when ever she felt bored sitting alone at hone. When I go to the market she used to give me her list also. I used to get them for her. Now she is not here and the whole place is empty. She is living with someone else because her children want to sell the place. Her own family didn't understand her plight. All the best
Sorry that the neighbor moved... it was good that you were there for her and helped her... Hoping that someone nice will move into the place so it will be less empty.
Yeah, I cared for a certain next-door neighbor. And he is like a grandfather to me. He is Catholic, just like I am. I always think of him a lot. I help with lots of certain stuff. Him and I went flying couple times already. He cared about me also. Yeah he knows my family well now. I have been unable to get in touch with him due to his jobs and having a wife. He is over 70 years old now. Yeah, he has couple cats and dogs, of course. Yeah I always think of him a lot.
It sounds like he was someone you liked as a person and that you saw something of yourself in too... It is a good thing that you were kind to him.