Death of a Soldier

@Kowgirl (3491)
The soldier stood straight and faced God, Which must always come to pass. He hoped his shoes were shining, Just as brightly as his brass. "Step forward now, young soldier, How shall I deal with you ? Have you always turned the other cheek ? To My Church have you been true?" The soldier squared his shoulders and said, "No, Lord, I guess I ain't. Because those of us who carry guns, Can't always be a saint. I've had to work most Sundays, And at times my talk was tough. And sometimes I've been violent, Because the wars are awfully rough. But, I never took a penny, That wasn't mine to keep... Though I worked a lot of overtime, When the bills got just too steep. And I never passed a cry for help, Though at times I shook with fear. And sometimes, God, forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears. I know I don't deserve a place, Among the people here. They never wanted me around, Except to calm their fears. If you have a place for me here, Lord, It needn't be so grand. I never expected or had too much, But if you don't, I'll understand. There was a silence all around the throne, Where the saints had often trod. As the soldier waited quietly, For the judgment from his God. "Step forward now, young soldier, You've borne your burdens well. Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, You've served your time in Hell." I hope everyone will say a prayer for our troops and pray that they will be coming home soon.
@rockvixen (894)
That just made me cry so much. It saddns me that many young men are out there, and one of those young men in my nephew Michael. I think of him often and I often hope and pray for his well being. All troops need our love and support. I send my love, prayers and blessings to those that have family out there.
@Kowgirl (3491)
What really hurts is the way our veterans are treated when they do come home. I have seen what war can do and it sure isn't pretty. Then when they are denied the help (Physical and Mental) they need just makes me mad as he**. G.W. Bush should have to fight along side of them to see how war effects the mental state of our young people who are fighting this useless war.
@littleowl (7157)
that is a lovely poem and very true-the soldiers will be in my prayers-littleowl
@MAMABLAZE (242)
Your poem touches me deep in my heart and makes me shed many tears. I too have printed it out to pass to those I meet and know. I think everyone knows someone who is serving to provide us freedom and can understand what this poem means. The treatment of vets has always been horrible through out our history. This just makes me hurt for them for the job they do isn't as appreciated as it should be. All of those who fight for us are in my prayers...Mamablaze!!