Second Hand Smoke is Harmful To Our Pets. I didnt know that.

@tjades (3593)
Jamaica
I was sitting here busy mylotting when something I heard on the news and the reaction of my sisters caused me to pause and take notice. A vet shared info that second hand smoke is just as harmful to pets as it is to humans. He went on to say that birds tend to develop pneumonia and dogs and cats develop cancer. There were more conditions but I couldnt register all the details due to the excitement of of my siblings. We really had no idea our pets were at risk. Is it just me or are you also unware of this?
@jeanniemay (1803)
Whew! I didn't know that too. Yes, I would also laugh loud if I hear that news, something extraordinary, right? LOL. But on the other hand, I would also agree with what the veterinarian, like us, they also have a body to take care of and they are not better and more healthier than we do. Their bodies might also be prone to changes that occur in their environment and so with the risks that they may incur.
@madlees (1381)
I also didn't have an idea, about this . Thanks for sharing the info. But then it should be. If second hand smoke is bad for humans it should be for the pets also. Since none of us smoke , I have not really thought about it. I have seen our pet run away when there is something burning and there is smoke. If he is not able to stand that smoke then we can guess that he will not be able to handle any type. It might be burning in the nose and chest. Ther nose is also supposed to be very sensitive. isn't it ?
@sedel1027 (17855)
I never really thought about it, but it does make sense. They do have lungs that can be damaged just like ours. We treat our pets like our kids, so even if we did smoke we would never do it around them.
@Amber4106 (541)
I had never asked a vet about it, but I noticed two years ago that when I smoked outside more, my cat wasn't sneezing as much. I've read articles on the internet and found that it is just as dangerous for them as people. It makes sense. We are literally poisoning our pets for our own craving and addiction. Every once in a while I light up in the house, but most of the time take it outside. I don't have children, buy my cat is like a child to me. I would never smoke around my children and I try to have those same boundaries and respect for my pets.