Why do people still fall for scams?

@BYOLA2871 (4376)
South Africa
In spite of various warnings both on and offline I am surprised that many are still falling for scams. It’s so painful that people will always fall for the most obvious things in life. A writer once said that “the best place to keep information from people is to put it in the public place where it is most obvious, people will never look for it there” how true this is when you think of the number of complaints regarding scams in recent times. What do you think could be the reason why people still fall for this painful and devastating thing called “SCAMS”?
People fall for scams because they only think of "Money". Once they were introduced to anything related to earning instantly, they can do anything. People always want to have something in an easy way and that, those who make scams know how these people think. And its like magnet that make this people follow and agree with these scammers. Don't be upset when it is too late. Think first before you engage in something. Keep posting, Mickey
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
yes a lot many people leap before jumping and trust the crocodiles in the swamp of scams of this world of internet,they will milk them dry.but really,it takes a lot of greed and laziness for a scammer to succeed in their quest.also looking for short cuts always lead to longer routes especially in the issue of money
@mbs730 (2155)
People can be desperate! Thats why I have in the past fallen for scams but no more.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
yes you are right desperation can really put one in a tight corner,i have also learnt never to make important business or financial decisions in times of desperation.how i wish other people can understand that you can not be rational in desperate moments
@stephcjh (32385)
I have no idea. I think they just think that other people are not telling them the truth and they may be able to make these scams work for them. I have seen them put alot of time into these scams also instead of taking the owrd of an experienced person.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
sometimes i think ignorance and secrecy plus greediness are the greatest problem.but it shouldnt be if only the victims will only do just one more search about what they are about to get into,it will save a lot of pains
@gemini_rose (16194)
I just do not think they see past the fact that they need or want to earn money, when people get emails sometimes they do not realise that anyone really can get hold of it, so they think that it must be real. They are also drawn in by greed when they see people saying how much they have made and how long it took them to make it, it looks real and so to them it is. It is a shame that people fall for scams, I just hope that I never fall for anything.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
yes i hope so too,really i believe that some people still believe in short cuts to success which is always the fastest route to pain and heart aches.why will anyone who does not know me ask me to get money into my account for him?
@gemini_rose (16194)
That is what I always think, immediately you read one of those emails the alarm bells start to ring, but I guess some people may think that they have been specially chosen not realising that these scammers buy their details off the internet.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
yes its true its just that sometimes many people just simply ignore the warnings.do you know that some people will still fall into scams even when they are warned?
@olivemai (4738)
I think it is because of false hope! They want to believe in something that will make them richer, prettier, thinner, and more popular so they go against their instinct and buy it anyway! Maybe they are thinking what do they have to lose except for a few dollars?
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
you may have some kind of point there but really i think its more of a little greed here and a little laziness there .people these days tend to have this false idea that they can become rich without a serious effort on their part.
@olivemai (4738)
Oh yeah, like that is the reason so many people buy lottery tickets! The casinos are also full of people who make plenty of money but want more! If any of these people had learned to add better, they might realize that even ten thousand dollars a year earned can mean that you end up with a million (before taxes) after so many years! At least that is how I liken it, fifty years of working equals a million, won in a lottery, which after taxes are taken from a winning, yields a similar amount of money!
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
wow you must be very good with calculations,you know/i never figured it out like that before but now you gave me a reason to view this discussion from a different angle.thanks for your contribution,lets just hope people will pick up the hints
I think due to lack of information and second due to love for money.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
yes even the holy book says "the love of money is the root of evil"once you love money inordinately one will do just about anything to get it and it will always work against us.also you cant ever overcome what you dont know anything about.information is very important.
@justmay (67)
be sure that NO Money would fall from the sky,then you will never fall for scams.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
you are having some points there cos i have only known of rain falling from the sky and never money.scams that talk about sudden or overnite riches are always the highest success with men.we only need to exercise a little care and it will be averted
The scams can be worded in such clever ways that if a person is not alert to certain tell tale factors he or she can become a victim. For one thing scams are never addressed to you by your name but only your email addy and for another there is usally a lot of mispelled words and very extravagant claims that should tip you off at once. If you never entered a lottery then you did not win a million dollars in Joe blokes lottery for example.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
yes there are various tell tale signs yet people still fall for it its basically greed,if not how can you win a lottery when you have never entered for one?besides how would you believe someone who is trying to still someone else"s money and channelling it through your account for a percnetage especially when the person is not known to you?many just fall for it with their eyes wide open
@dfinster (3538)
I think tah there still are a lot of trusting people out in the world who really need to make money and will trust some of these scammers. People if they are desperate will do lots of things to try to make extra money to make ends meet and unfortunatley this is the kind of people that those scammer count on. They count on peoples desperation and need to make money and then prey on their weakness's by using catch phrases and stuff that gets the people being scammed to have their heartstrings kind of tugged, like the scammers can relate to what the people being scammed are going through.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
you are quite right because desperation makes some people do just about anything to get out of financial lack but i have learnt that the easiest route to getting scammed is desperation.its better to research any opportunity before jumping into it
@RajPadma (73)
here we can see so many reasons for this # people wants over night lakhs # does not want to do hard work by doing jobs etc., # not thinking for others, up to their family jurisdiction (like Frog) only want to develop the status (Financially) # lack of strict legal actions # because of less salaries in the Government organisations, the staff habituated for bribe & it converts to big "SCAMS" because of high monthly expenditure, this is the main place Scams starts, so government should initiate take actions for hiking the salaries, then some how we can stop # not properly using their sharp brains for the society good because of selfishness
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
all these can be good reasons buti think government will never know which business is set up to become a scam or not and besides i still believe that a little dilligence will really go along way to prevent us from falling victim
@shizuoka (352)
Most scams offer something that people really, really want. Are you poor? We'll give you more money than you can imagine. Are you drowning in debt? We'll get rid of it. Do you want a great job? We have one that sounds too good to be true. People want to believe there's a way out so they grasp at straws. I'm not a complete idiot (I hope) but I've fallen for a few over the years - especially the work at home kind. It has made me very cautious.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
yes i agree with you it works on the need of people and unfortunately most of us are too much in a hurry to get rich and thus fall for scams
@sirnose (2440)
Greed,Greed,thats what lead people to be conned,the false notion that we can get something for nothing a free lunch,but it sad that greed and corruption is destroying our country.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
you are right because there is a saying that"there is no free lunch in freetown"you dont expect something in return for nothing.THE LAW OF CAUSE AND EFFECT WILL C TO THAT.GREED CAN LEAD US INTO MANY PAINS AND HEART ACHES
@StereoDiva (2143)
Well, I think people are always hopeful that this will be THE ONE. KWIM? Also, there are always people new to earning online and they don't know how to check for scams, etc. It's up to knowledgeable people to help them see around the BS.
@BYOLA2871 (4376)
• South Africa
yes i agree with you that most guys are new and thats why they become victims of all these scams.but really i think there is a need for research before we go for opportunities