Memory Lane

@worldwise1 (14888)
As I was talking with my ex-husband on the phone yesterday we ventured into the subject of my internet use. He lives in Tennessee and does not use a computer at all, so our main means of communication is by phone. I was asking him about the happenings around my old home town and he casually mentioned that his brother-in-law in Massachusetts kept up with local news better than he did because he is always on the internet. I then pulled up one of the home town newspaper's sites and got a complete rundown on all the latest happenings there. I even found an obituary notice for an old friend that he had not known had died. All of this made me wonder why I had never thought to do this before now. Have you kept up with the news from a place where you grew up or used to live? I will now be a regular visitor to the site because even after all these years I still remain homesick.
My cousin lives in SC and visits our local paper's website on a daily basis. This keeps her informed about what is happening in our little town. I check it out too because I do not subscribe to the paper.
My husband is from the Netherlands and reads the news via the website. It does make him quite homesick too. This is good for him to remain close to his hometown.
I can see where getting to do that would be a real gift, even if bittersweet. I am sure he cannot travel back anywhere near as often as he might like.
@carmelanirel (20979)
I recently went to the neighborhood where I grew up and my, has it ever changed.. And brought back many memories, both good and bad..And I also have a friend who still lives there, but haven't talked to her for over 5 years now. I should try calling her again..
@worldwise1 (14888)
Things really can change seemingly overnight, carmelanirel. My last visit was astonishing from the time I had visited 10 years earlier. It has now been 17 years and I shudder to think of how many changes have been made.
@jeanniemay (1803)
Not very often. I have the radio on while surfing around the net so I am still updated of the news in my area. We have a local paper that we subscribed to that comes on weekends and it's also a good way to look at before the start of another week. Sometimes, yes, I forget. Only when I hear a ballooning bad news that I find time to check what it is about just to be updated. LOL.
@carolbee (16241)
I was born and raised about 8 miles from where we live now. My husband was born and raised about the same distance so we didn't go far from our original hometown. I'm a baby boomer who graduated from high school over 40 yrs. ago. One of my classmates started a class website about 3 years ago on the internet. Many classmates are members and we are able to keep in touch. Most remained in the US. We know when someone has grandchildren, moves or is gone from our lives forever. It's been fun and interesting. We also have monthly dinners planned for those who are interested in attending, future reunions that are planned and notices posted on the class website. Most recently the class is putting together a cruise. Our high school was large and my graduating class was huge. Thank goodness I've never had the opportunity of being homesick. I am here right where I started!
@worldwise1 (14888)
That's wonderful, carolbee! I can't tell you how many times I wish that I had not strayed far from home, or at least moved back a long time ago. It's especially nice that your former classmates want to keep in touch. They had an annual celebration at my former high school called the Red and Black(our school colors) for former students but I've never attended. I have also been inv a few class reunions but never attended. I do keep in touch with much of what is happening through my ex-husband.
@carolbee (16241)
I did marry a fellow who went to the same junior high school and high school as myself. We dated very young. So both of us being from this area and our families remaining in the area, with the exception of our youngest daughter, we are happy here and don't plan to ever move. My husband and I each have one brother and they stayed in St. Louis as well. It is nice.
I had, like you, not thought of looking on the internet for news of where I was born and brought up. I will go an have a look now
@worldwise1 (14888)
I think it's a nice thing to do, austinbell, if you don't have a lot of painful memories connected with the place. Shux, I do it even though I do have some painful memories.
I am not one to always be looking at the past, the future is far more exciting
@ctrymuziklvr (11060)
Since I have a daughter who lives in Long Beach, CA I check the newspapers there and in LA often to see what's going on in her area. I've mentioned things to her that she didn't even know where going on.
@worldwise1 (14888)
Since I discovered this new site, ctry, I plan to visit several times each week just in case I can pass along news items to my ex-husband because we do talk about once a week.
Well since my childhood place is just a ride away my parents and my other brother and sisters always keep me in on the news so I get a bit of what is happening around there even if I don't live there. I love that place and it's nice to drop by once in a while to see what's happening.It brings me so much memory I would like to keep forever.
@worldwise1 (14888)
I very much agree, p3halliwel, that it's nice to maintain some sort of connection to your roots, so long as your memories are pleasant.
@stephcjh (32328)
I have tried to keep up with my local news from my hometown sometimes too. I have family that still lives there so it is fairly easy for me to know what is going on. I do visit a website for more information also.
@worldwise1 (14888)
I think, stephcjh, that can be a very positive thing.
I would have never thought of doing that. I like that it was your ex, a non internet person, that gave you the idea.Ot makes perfect sense.I am sorry to hear about your friend. All my best to his family.
@whittby (3073)
I get my hometown newspaper via email. It's not the full version, but I can go to the website and get an abridged version of the news and what's happening economically. Another email I get from the newspaper is a food newsletter with local recipes and that's fun. I'm not very homesick though, I must be nosey.
@winterose (39921)
well I have always lived in the same place so that has never been an issue for me, I do know many people who do, my boyfriend listen to arabic programming from the middle east where he is from.
No, I never have thought of doing this but I am glad that you have brought it up! I think I will make it a part of my daily routine! Thanks Worldwise1!
@Debs_place (10525)
Not only do I do read the newspapers, I often send links of interest to my sister who still lives there so she can keep up. Due to economics she no longer subscribes to the paper and does not look online unless she has a reason.
@palonghorn (5486)
I keep up with the latest news in the small town/community where I used to live. They too have an online site, which is great because my youngest daughter still lives there as well as my parents. So I feel it keeps me in touch a little more. It takes me a little closer, now that I live 1600 miles away.