What kind of vaccines do adults need?

@winterose (39916)
According to harvard medical school "Adults sometimes mistakenly think that immunizations are something they only have to worry about for their children. But immunizations can also prevent a number of serious adult diseases. Some vaccines given in childhood will continue to protect people throughout their lives, immunity from certain vaccines wanes with time, and booster shots may be necessary. Also, new vaccines have been developed for adults, and some adults were never fully vaccinated as children." http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474977304881 Do you get your flu shot every year, get shots for allegies, shots to protect you against pneumonia, or any other kind of shot?
@Lakota12 (42794)
No i get none of these shots the only one that I try to keep up with is tetnes and that is every 10 years!
They used to tell us every seven years, but I'm really glad it is now every ten. I read the fine print when I signed it is OK for them to administer the shot, and it states you can die (rarely). I remember reading that when I was ten, and I thought I'd rather take the chance, than die. : ) By the way, I hope you are feeling MUCH better.
@Lakota12 (42794)
I do beleeive I read that about 10 years ago too. and thanks I am feeling great!
I usually get the flu vaccine because I'm in the group of people that health officials tell to get the vaccine. You know, they say kids, those with immune problems, and the elderly... I did get the Hepatitis B vaccine a couple years ago. I was working in a medical facility, and they required their employees to have the Hep B vaccine. I think it is a required vaccination for children these days, but back when I was a child, it was not yet required.
@tyc415 (5706)
This past year I got my flu shot, 2nd time ever for me to get that one. I have had a pneumonia shot also but that you only get every few years, every 5 years I think. After a bout of double pneumonia I will keep up with those two shots. I am sure I am way past due for a tetnus shot but it seems like most of us just get that if we get a nasty cut.
• Marion, Kansas
I have basically good health, I think I was fully immunized with all available vaccines as a child. I do get a flu shot, yearly. I would like to get a pneumonia shot, and an immunization against herpes. They are pretty expensive, but are well worth the cost. I get the flu shot for free.
@ElicBxn (59425)
I try to get a flu shot every year, I missed in 05 for the 05-06 winter, but because everyone around me (and I don't see a lot of people) had them because the most I see people is at my mom's. I had a pneumonia shot when I worked for the state, because I have other problems when I get sick. I carry antigens for my food allergies but I don't normally take them because unless I'm reacting I don't need them.
@gxnfly (1148)
I'm 24 years old right now,I only got one vaccine shot when I was a little kid.That was the only shot I got in my whole life till now.That's very strange,I never get sick except for cacthcing a cold in the winter.I never get any flu shots or shots for allergies.I guess I am very healthy.
@ShepherdSpy (8565)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I think the flu shot is recommended for the Young and the Elderly...For adults who've had all the childhood illnesses or been vaccinated,it's mainly when you go world travelling that a course of vaccinations becomes necessary..Malaria is one of the illnesses you need a vaccination for before visiting Africa,for example..
@mtdewgurl74 (18124)
Hey this is great to know, I haven't received any shots since I have gotten older and neither has any of my siblings or parents. Thanks for spreading the information though I am sure it is needed and could save a life. I have been trying to get my mom to get a shot for the flu since she is a diabetic but she is stubborn and hasn't done it so she has been sick for about 5 months and can't shake it. So I am betting she will get that shot next year before it is to late.
@winterose (39916)
my boyfriend has a collapsed trachea and he needs to have a flu shot every year and a pneumonia shot every five years or he almost jokes when he coughs all the time, but will he go, not!
@mtdewgurl74 (18124)
Seems like me and you need to get our bu'tt kicking boots on and get down to business either that or we can always hog tie them in their sleep then roll them out of bed into a wheel barrow or wagon and roll them to a waiting car and take them to get the shot and not untie them until they feel calm enough not to put their boots on and go after us..lol
I have had a tetanus shot when I fell and smashed my shoulder and I have also had my pneumona shot two years ago but missed myflu shot this year. Usually I get a flu shot every year regular as clockwork. I have not had any other shots however.
@winterose (39916)
good for you, you are keeping yourself healthy
@LouRhi (1502)
I am against vaccinations. I have never had a flu shot and unless they make them mandatory I doubt that I ever will! In fact the only reason my children were vaccinated was because I basically had no choice. Schools will not accept them unless they are vaccinated. The principal at my school just had a flu vaccination and then was sick for 3 days!
@winterose (39916)
yes I know unfortunately it does happen. I had a the shots I needed as a kid but I haven't gotten any as an adult either.
@stephcjh (32388)
I'm not really sure what vaccines adults should get or need. I know that here in the United States, they seem to push the flu vaccine for most people. They have alot of cases of the flu virus here every year. They never seem to have enough of the vaccine though. They always have to outsource it from other countries so they will have enough for the American people. It looks like, after all of the years, they would have enough for us by now. I don't get the vaccine every year. I have got it in the past though when I was covered by health insurance. I have not had any kind of vaccine in years.
@winterose (39916)
I have never gotten the flu vaccine yet, though now I can get it free because I am not working anymore.
The only shots I get are the Flu shot. I have heard people can get sick from the shot but I have not had that happen to me. I asked a nurse one time why some people get sick from the Flu shot and her only response was that they may get sick from it but it is not as bad as having the Flu without the shot. Thanks for the information here. I never thought about the other vaccines that were listed on the site. I just assumed that as adults we wouldn't need any of those things. The Flu shot is the only vaccine I get.
@winterose (39916)
Yes most people only think about the flu shot, not anything else, I haven't got the flu shot yet, and now since I don't go out very often I doubt that I will be getting it. I am couked up in the house all winter.