Haitians Rioting Over Food Prices

@worldwise1 (14887)
It is a well-known fact how hard life is for most people living in Haiti, so it came as no surprise to me when I saw this story on the BBC news recently. The Haitian people have taken to the streets to protest the escalating price of food in that poor country. Do you see this as a forerunner to events here in the United States and in other countries. From all that I've heard recently, this will very probably occur in many countries due to food shortages caused in large part by our zeal to produce more corn crops for ethanol fuel. This, in turn, takes more of the available growing acreage for growing produce for food. The end product will be less produce for public consumption, thereby driving up the price of food. I would like to hear your views on this subject.
@winterose (39918)
I don't know but it could very well happen, food prices are just skyrocketing everywhere, and it is really getting out of hand, more and more people are going to food banks and the food banks are not able to keep up with the demand.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I know what you're saying, winterose! Just the other day I was watching our local news and stunned to see a group of workers who had been laid off for only five weeks standing in line begging for food donations! I had to ask myself why this was happening considering these people were employed until a few weeks prior. Our economy has been going down for about 10 years now with regularly occurring layoffs, so they should have been better prepared.
Yes, I believe that problems on food shortage would eventually be spread out all through out in many parts of the world...in our country, the Philippines, we are already feeling the shortage of rice. Since last week, the prices of food and other commodities are going high. Unless the United Nations will do something about this impending worldwide food shortage, many people and country would fight over food.
@worldwise1 (14887)
Yes, ida, I understand what you are saying. I still maintain that the governments should leave the land to the people for growing food. Think of how much more food could be grown even if they would stop using so much land for building!
@Aurone (4758)
I just read an article in Time magazine about Ethanol fuel. It seems in the long run that Ethanol fuel produced from Soy Beans or Corn actually hurt the environment. This is because the rainforest is being destroyed in order to grow corn and soy. And it seems that corn and soy ethanol also release a lot of carbon. So its really not a good system. Plus it is driving the cost of food up--we should be using that corn and soy to feed people not run cars. Sugarcane on the other hand is a viable ethanol crop. The sugarcane growers in Brazil have managed to increase their yield while using less fertilizers and without using more land. A lot of the cars in Brazil run on Sugarcane ethanol. The politicians in the US need to get a clue. Time to investigated other green technologies and call ethanol cars a loss. But they won't because Iowa is one of those caucus important states and no one wants to upset the Iowa corn farmers. They love the corn ethanol drive because it raises the price of corn which increases revenue for farmers and creates more jobs.
@worldwise1 (14887)
Everything you say is true, Aurone, and I agree that we have to follow the money trail to find out where the problem lies. All those people who are pushing for ethanol are in for a rude awakening. They refuse to listen to those who are really knowledgeable about the process.
Add to this the increasing fuel prices that cause an increase to the foods purchased and we have a rolling ball of fire. I personally foresee a lot of this as the beginning of the end. It will take time but I see many countries, including the United States, diminishing to the point of nothingness. We've abused our world for so long I think it's nearly impossible to bring it back.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I won't blame it so much on our abusing the earth, hockeygal, as the greed of some people. The greedy ones are the only ones who are prospering and driving the costs of everything sky high.
My opinion is this. I hope a widespread riot of the rising prices happens in the United states and soon!!! The sooner we take a stand against this mess, the sooner change will happen.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I take it, drknlvly, that you've never been in a riot situation. Believe me, it's not a pretty sight.
Actually, I have. I have lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, all of my life except for a month. And then I wasn't too far. I was here when we had the riots in 2001. It wasn't pretty at all. Black people against the Police Department. Even still, despite all the violence that went on, change was brought about in the way that Police handled suspects. There isn't as much racial profiling, and Police have non-lethal weapons to subdue suspects now. Also, relations between Police and community members are eased. Yes, rioting is very messy and very violent, but after the dust has settled, change is made for the better.
@stephcjh (32328)
I have noticed this too. I don't know what it is all coming to these days. We can barely afford to live anymore. With the high prices of gas and food, we can barely afford to pay the bills and eat. There is alot of food recalls and shortages also with flooding too. We are trying our best to grow our own vegetables for now but we only have room for a few plants.