Spoiler

@Modestah (11192)
Do you ever jump ahead and read the ending of a book before you get very far into it? I had a reading teacher in school that said one should always read a few pages from the middle and the last couple pages before starting to read a book. I never could understand that... why spoil the outcome? Do you do this? or have you ever been unable to withstand the suspense and flip to the end before its time?
@minnie_98214 (10574)
Never I love a good ending and I love the surprize. I get excited and will end up staying up too late just to get the book done so I can get to the ending.
Thanks for best response.
@Tetchie (2933)
Agh, no way. Reading the ending could spoil a very good story. Though I bet for some reading the ending would make no sense anyway. I know I've been tempted but I stopped myself.
@egdcltd (6596)
The only type of book where I'd read the end before the beginning is a reference book. It's bad enough when a major plot point is given away on the back cover blurb without ruining the book yourself.
@benthose (475)
I never have problems with spoiling the suspense.. Thats what I did with harry potter.. So far I have read the first five and then when the seventh came out, I skipped the sixth and read only last chapter and epilogue!!!
@brew2x (3096)
Nope I don't jump ahead even though I really wanted to know what will happen next. I don't want to spoil the fun of reading and the suspense.
@MsTickle (24962)
I have to admit I do like to read the last few paragraphs. It sometimes makes the denoument or anti climax so much more exciting. Even the humble bodice ripper can take a turn of events just before the end so that the obvious outcome has a bit of a twist to it.
@kimbers867 (2540)
When I was a kid, I use to do this. But I did stop. With the books I read now, reading the last page would not tell me a thing! LOL
@maddysmommy (16236)
I prefer to read the book the whole way through and not spoil the outcome.
@thuynhu (663)
I love to read. I mean its just a great thing, that you can get into a book. Some make it seem realistic that it could have possibly happened to someone. And then others just make you feel as though you wish it could actually happen. But the only time I use to read the end of the book was when I was in school. I mean I use to hate having the time frame to read the books, so I just went ahead and read the end. Just in case I never get up to reading the whole book. I would at least knew how it ended. I mean I guess it was pretty bad, but then I would look online for the fillers of the rest of the book in shorter version pretty much. But that was in school, now I just read the books from beginning to end. I enjoy the built up of suspense of waiting to know what will happen next.
@moneyandgc (3430)
No. I wouldn't read the end of the book first. I don't see the point. The only time I have ever read the end of the book is when I am completely bored with it and plan on putting it down without finishing it anyway. I love reading. If I am reading a good book, I would hate to ruin the suspense of it by reading the ending!
@enola1692 (3325)
no even when I am tempted I dont an I hate it when your reading an someone comes up to you saying oh I read that don't you like this part or whatever I worked in a store an i have had a few customers ruin a good for me by telling me the ending
@Elixiress (3893)
I read a book from front to back, sometimes reading the blurb first. The end makes no sense without the rest of the book anyhow.
@KarenO52 (2951)
For a while when I was younger I used to read some books by starting at the last chapter, and then reading the one before it, and I would do that for several chapters and then start reading from the beginning. It didn't seem to affect my enjoyment of the story. I found out that my older brother liked to read books the same way. I don't do that anymore, though sometimes I'm tempted to hurry up and find out what will happen. Now I read from the beginning on through the book.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
I've never heard of doing that. I wonder why your teacher would say that - what would be the reasoning? I start at the beginning and read to the end, just like it was meant to be.
@emeraldisle (13146)
I don't understand doing that either. I don't want to find out the ending before I get to it. In fact I really dislike books where i figure out the ending way too early. To me that spoils the story. I like ones that keep me going all the way to the end but have enough in the story so that I'm left going "Oh yeah why didn't I put it together?" I don't want anything to spoil the book for me, that includes me reading the end too soon or someone telling me the ending.
@voldo29 (103)
Usually when i'm reading a book, and it gets boring, i skip to the last few chapters to see if it gets any better. If it doesnt seem to get better than i just return the book.
@jillhill (37384)
Yes.....when I am just about to the end of a book and it's midnight and I have to get up for work at 4a.m....then I sneak a peek! LOL
@angemac23 (2005)
I can't help myself and I have tried to stop doing it but can't....I always jump ahead and read the last few pages of a book and it totally spoils it for me!!