How Often Do You Attend A Family Reunion?

Every Year Or Just Whenever You Feel Like It? I Have A Big Family Reunion Coming Up In May And It Will Be The First One That I Have Attended Since I Was A Little Girl And Had No Other Choice But To Go. How Do You Answer The Question...Well, I Haven't Seen You In A While, Where Ya Been, How Come You Didn't Come To The Last Reunion? Etc, Etc. I Don't Want To Come Right Out And Just Say, I'm Sorry, I Didn't Come To The Last Reunion..Because I Don't Know Hardly Any Of You People.
@skydancer (1841)
My family has never had reunions. Our family is very scattered about across the country (or at least my father's family is) and it is just an extremely hard thing to be able to do. It would be a lot easier to get my mother's family together since they all seem to be in one southern state or another, and we actually almost did it several years ago, but something came up so my mother hopes to do so another time. We have been researching the genealogy of my father's family a great deal and have discovered a number of long-lost cousins which we never knew we had - made possible by the fact that we were able to find out that my great-great-great grandfather had six children rather than one as originally thought. So that has been a blessing and a great reward to add to just the simple pleasure of learning where you came from and who has gone before you and being able to admire what they did and who they were and what they left for your family to look back upon. Both sides of my family have a pretty prestigious history in their own right, so I would love to see a reunion happen for either side of my family - just to be able to get together, and finally meet everyone face to face and honor our heritage.
@skydancer (1841)
As for answering those difficult questions, your family members probably don't mean anything by it - they are just asked out of concern because they were thinking of you at the last reunion. It's not to offend you or make you feel bad. As for hardly knowing some of your family members, I don't know a lot of my own family members personally either. But that's just all the more reason for them to want to see you and get to know you - they are your family after all... That's how I see it at least based on what you said.
@madlees (1381)
Dear ladylonewolf, Don't worry about that. I have faced this many times in my life. Because I was born and brought up in Chennai, I was never able to attend any of the family reunions there in Kerala at our Grandpa's place. By chance when we meet some one they will ask , pestering you with all the queries and ending up with ' OOHHHH you are all such big people, you don't ever need your relations and something else like that.... 'I just hate to face relations of this type. I learned in that age itself to just smile and ignore them. If you have to answer then do it, or just tell them off with a smile.. that's enough. If you feel they are asking with sincerity, mostly the elder ones in the family do, then answer them perfectly and honestly. They would love that. We do not know all people and we cannot be expected to know all also. As our age and time permits we try to know our relations and be friendly with them. If w do not have time.. then what can we do. Even now, I face these from others in the In;aws place. They won't ask my husband they keep asking me. I just smile at them and say that he was busy and you have to ask him. Now both of us are working at the same place and cannot take leave together, he goes and I am left alone here. So, when I go there I'll be pestered. I cannot give the same answer, I have to come up with something new. So. try to get the answer before you go. Make them up as and when the time comes. These are family members it doesn't matter, they'll understand you anyway but still they will ask for the sake of asking. They don't really expect a reply from you.
@MGjhaud (20749)
We do once in a year family reunion and I seldom come. Hehehe.. I never was close to both sides. If we see each other somewhere, we acknowledge and that's all. Just civil with each other. I can't remember we hang out, or never shared personal experiences with them. We'll I grew up playing with my brother and not any of my cousins. Maybe sometimes but not really grew up in the same neighborhood and super friends until now. This is one reason why I don't come because I know, what I'm going to do once I'm there is sit and wait until it's over. hehehe..
@nice030481 (1108)
i ddint attend family reunion, thats why i didnt know some of my relatives,we have no time to go there and besides no relatives makes our family reunion program.
@Swaana (1208)
Yes, it is quite embarassing when people ask such questions. They are asked just out of concern. Though I feel very sheepish to answer these questions, I dont hesitiate to answer questions like where have you been. As for the last reunion, I will definitely tell them that either I was out of town or I was unaware of. I cant say I hardly know you people because, though I have not seen many of them, I keep hearing about them from parents and other close relatives.
We have one every so often during the summer. All I know though is that it has been a long time scence the last one.