AICR... Is this a scam?????

@jess368 (3377)
I received a letter in the mail from, AICR. It says they are cancer research, and trying to raise money for research. Oh and AICR stands for, American Institute for Cancer Research. I read what they sent, and decided to send some money. I only sent 25 dollars. I spoke to my boyfriend about it a few days later, adn he expressed to me that this was probably a scam, and I should not have mailed any money. I admit I did not research this letter. Now I fell like I should have. Did I get fooled? Is this a scam? It really looked legit. Please let me know if this is a scam. Should I cancel My check???
@wickedangel (1639)
• Dominican Republic
Sorry to respond so late but I am catching up with my email notifications! I haven't seen what other people have written as I've come straight from the email link. I would say that it would be easy to verify whether or not this is a scam. There should be an address on the letter, ring the number and see what they say. There will also be an organisation which registers the charities, you can double check with them if they have this organisation at this address and they should also have a registration number which should be on the letter. If you don't find any of these then cancel the cheque. Hope it was legit!
@jess368 (3377)
It was! Thank you for the helpful advice
I have just such a letter in my hand. The back of the letter, about half the page, has info about changes you can make to help avoid cancer. This allows them to consider this letter under the "public education" rubric, too. This information - about avoiding cancer - is available for free, including on the internet. So, how much of the money is really used for the purposes stated? Only 10% goes to research. Give to the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the American Liver Foundation, the March of Dimes, or other organization that is approved not just by the BBB, but also your state's office of consumer protection; these organizations support research, as well as provide information and services to people who need them, probably right in your community.
@rev1wendy (613)
You might want to try calling them. If there was no number in the email, try looking them up on 411.com. Lots of scams now days. That is a legit place, but it could have been used for a scam through a different address or something.
@jess368 (3377)
It was a letter in the mail. No phone number, but there is an address, (mail)
Did you check 411.c0m yellow pages for a number?
http://www.aicr.org/site/PageServer They are legit but is the contact info on your letter the same as on this site? Canceling a check will cost you what the check is worth- so it would only be for the principle of it if you find you sent to a bogus place. (And if you sent it to the AICR for real, you could cost them money when it is returned to them if you don't tell them you are canceling it and they cash it). I tend to agree, donate right to the organization directly. Also, you might consider doing a little research- some organizations spend SO much on administrative costs that they have little left to actually use for their purpose. Like, it comes down to 80% of their donations pay for administrative- that is too much! Some only use 20% for their administrative stuff thus have 80% to put into the cause. I forget the best and worst but I'm sure there is a list online somewhere...lol.
@jess368 (3377)
Thank you. I did do some research, and much of the money goes to public education, which I think is very important.
@cupid74 (11397)
• Pakistan
Hi Dear well i dont know about this particular reasearch institute but ur b/f ios right, u should check b4 donating as lot of Scams institute are there who are either ready to give u money or want donation so be careful and dont let ur hard earn money to go in waste Take care
• , New York
They are real and a good organization. They fund cancer research on nutritionally base prevention and treatment. They have been around for many years and have funded many top investigators as well as up and coming new investigators. Their web site has a wealth of nutritional suggestions