Has Good Grammar Gotten Lost In Translation?

@capirani (1841)
Not wishing to offend anyone here. I am just a stickler for good grammar. I completely understand people who are just learning a new language having trouble getting the grammar right. What I am talking about here is people who were born into a culture and a language and supposedly have had an education. What is the reason that good grammar is not being used by people who were born speaking the language? I guarantee that I don't read any posts that the wording is so bad that I am going to spend more time deciphering what they are trying to say than I am on the topic they wrote about. It is annoying. Come on folks! You went to school, right? Again, I am not trying to offend anyone. It is a sad fact that other countries are doing better in education than we are here in this country, this country being the USA. I am not one of those people who passes on emails about their complaints about immigrants speaking English. I would just like to see Americans speaking and writing English!
@anniepa (27238)
I'm afraid you're right - good grammar has gone the way of the 8-track tape. The "Leave No Child Behind" educational plan has turned into "Leave All Children Behind". The young people aren't taught by their parents or in school properly. I'm with you in not criticizing those who are just learning English but you're so right about some of those who have lived here all their lives and still have no clue as to the correct way to speak. I know I make mistakes and I like to be corrected when I do. Annie
@capirani (1841)
Me too, I have no problem if someone points out a mistake I have made in grammar. When I was in school, spelling counted, handwriting counted, neatness counted and grammar was all important. We even had to follow a prescribed way of presenting our papers, such as which side of the paper to use, which corner we put our names in, which side of the line we numbered our questions or answers on, etc. Now it seems that as long as a student gets the right answer, nothing else matters. I wonder if students even know how to write proper reports or term papers now.
@anniepa (27238)
Thanks so much for the BR! It means a lot and I hope I'm writing this properly. If not, don't hesitate to tell me. Annie
@sturner03 (326)
I agree. I think somewere along the lines it has become cool for teens to use phares such as "he don't want any" or aint. I don't understand this myself. It makes you sound ignorant people that have known nothing but english our whole lifes and we still don't soeak it properly.