When You Want to Buy a Book, Do You Go Online & Check Reviews?

Hong Kong
Most of the time, when I see some interesting books at the store, I just grab and run. But these days, I tend to wait. I would look at the book introduction briefly at the book stores. If I am interested, I would remember the title and then try to search its review online just to get an overall assessment. Do you do the same?
When I am in the bookstore and find a good book, then usually I will just buy it if I am interested in it. I don't need to read the reviews as it's important that I like this book rather than anyone else. If I find a book via the online bookstore, then I have to read the reviews and the brief content so that I will decide whether I will buy it or not.
Oh that's true! And I am especially annoyed when the books are "wrapped up" in plastic bags so you can't get to read the inside of them. For those, I would definitely go home and check reviews online before I pay my hard-earned dollars!
Thanks for the best response
I don't buy a lot of books anymore. But, before I put a book on reserve in the library, I check the reviews. Amazon is great because you can read what people who actually read the book have to say.
Yea I love amazon and they have so many varieties of reviews there too!
im much more like your "old self" that just grab a book that sounds good, i once tried to read a review first before reading the book, and my very disappointed because i didnt feel any excitement and i think thats because i had read the review..
Really? I try not to get into details too much. I just look at how many "stars" they have!
@secretbear (19464)
i don't usually buy books but when i want to buy one, i don't bother to check on online reviews. most of the books that i have bought are recommended to me by friends. i don't bother to check on the online reviews because i trust my friends's judgment. ^__~ and then, a lot of the books i have bought are classics which i have been wanting to buy for a long time.
@gr8life (6252)
Hello wondericequeen, I don't do that. Whenever I want to buy a book, I will just go to the store, read the synopsis at the back and if I like it, I will buy it. I don't read review online but sometimes I do search for latest title for my favourite authors.
Usually, whenever I go to bookstore I have specific books that I wanted to buy that I saw in the net or new books made by my favorite authors. However, if I don't any specific books that I want, I just read the introduction of the book and if it is interesting I'll just buy it.
@Jody20 (887)
• Netherlands
When i see a interesting book at the store, i grab it and read the introduction, if i really like what i read i buy the book, otherwise i'll put it back. If i'm not really sure i will check the reviews of that book first.
@bradhart (659)
No, but I am genre(s) specific reader. I know authors and read lots of books in different series so skipping a book in a series even if it is a bad book doesn't really make sense. That doesn't mean I just start spending money on books willy nilly either though. Unless I really want a book I read it at the library when I get around to it, then buy it used on ebay when I can get it in a book lot.