Everytime I go to work something is changed

@nixxi76 (3192)
When I first started my job 2 years ago, I couldn't understand why everyone was so unhappy. Being there for two years now, I have caught onto why the staff at my work is so crabby 90 percent of the time! About 2 months or so ago I made arrangements to work 10pm-6am shifts for nights. I made arrangements with my boss because I live about 45 minutes away from work and my hubby had to be at work for 7am. I did this for about six months until they took away the 6:30am-2:30pm day shift staffs. My hubby made arrangements with his boss so he would be late for his job when I would work these night shifts. This weekend on my stretch of 4 nights I get to work, and see that they again changed my point 4 position schedule from 4 nights in a row to 3 nights in a row and one nightshift 4 days later. This is going to screw me up for gas and also my hubby now has to make arrangements with his boss again so he can be late on a different day! This isn't fair. I feel like a rag doll being thrown all over the place by this place, and I"m ready to walk out but the only reason I'm sticking with them is because I have a truck payment to make bi-weekly and if I quit I'm going to lose my vehical! The boss is being very unreasonable where we are not allowed to have a water bottle on the floor. Last week my fellow co-workers had a meeting with the boss and management crew and when we tried to speak all he would say is "That's enough, end of this discussion" so basically he would not let us get a word in. So what's the sense of holding a staff meeting when we can speak up for ourselves? Now apparently there's going to be a new schedule where you have to either pick wether you want full time or if you want to be a point four (meaning you are promised four shifts within a pay period). I can really see that they are going to lose a lot of good staff! I'm just contimplating on finding new employment or wether I should stick it out and see what happens? Are you fed up with your job as I am with mine?
@Sonadora (356)
That sounds a lot like my last job. They jerked us around like cattle and never listened. The staff meetings were basically another way for my manager to attack us. Before the new manager came in, we were able to bid on our schedules. I had enough seniority there to get the schedule I wanted. I chose the night shift because it allowed me to get the hours I needed and still go to school. Well when the new manager came in it was midway through the semester and she completely changed the schedule without asking for any input. She didn't let us bid, she just made the schedule how she wanted. Basically, everything she scheduled me for I couldn't work. For a while it worked out because everybody switched around their shifts so it would work. Then she got fed up with that and said we couldn't switch anymore. My attendance got so bad because I refused to miss class to come to work, and she wouldn't work with me at all. I finally had to quit. It was just too horrible of a situation.
@nixxi76 (3192)
I just don't understand why these workplaces are allowed to do that especually when we sign a contract stating that we own the position wether it's full time or whatever and just stay that way. It also seems like when everyone's happy, they have to screw it up and change everything and ruin people's lives. So sorry you had to go through that experience! It's rediculous! Thanks for your comment
@Sonadora (356)
Yes, it is ridiculous. I think some people just want to feel like they have all the control and power. They feel threatened very easily and feel every suggestion or new idea is a challenge to their authority. At least I'm pretty sure that's how my old boss felt. It is a shame, though. At least before her we did have a little bit of fun. It was working for an airline, so already we got yelled at by passengers, we didn't need it from her, too.
@nixxi76 (3192)
Yeah I can see what you're talking about and my job is similar in that perspective because we have old cranky elders that are rarely happy (just plain miserable) and then on top of that, we work harder than the RN"s and LPN's and we are always getting in trouble for the stupidist things ever! Like quit the nit-picking and just appreciate your workers! I feel like saying that to them sometimes
Yup. Had a job just like that for 2 year also! I quit early this month. Like yourself my job was 45 to and hour away.I always wanted to work the morning shift to make sure I will be at home before the crazy rush hour plus be able to do thing with friends and family. I wanted to come in 7:00 - 3:00. It was great the first two months. The 3rd month they changed me to 9:00-5:00 I told them I couldn't make it at that time. That means I have to wake up at 7:00 just to get there on time maybe. Traffic is crazy at that time. I tried to make it in at that time, but didn't have luck sometimes and be late. I had a car payment and insurance that is kinda high so I had to go. They fuss at me for being late and I tell them I can't help it that traffic is bad! I was never once late coming in at 7:00. I asked to to change it back to 7:00 they said no and I said okay! Plus like your job they never listen to what me and my co-workers had to say. They change the subject really fast if you disagree or see things different from theirs. They didn't care at all, but earning money and making things look like they are great. I got home that day after being in my car for an hour because of the traffic and start putting in applications. Had an interview the next week and got the job. Plus it was 10 minutes from my house and I was getting a higer position making more money. When I put in my two weeks they was like why?! They tried to change it then to keep me, but I was over them and that job! (Sorry for being so long!)
@nixxi76 (3192)
Oh please don't apologize for being long! I enjoyed reading about it! That's pretty rediculous that they had to ask you why you were quitting? Wasn't it quite obvious? I think I'm going to do what you did, find somewhere else to work. I live by a really really small town and there's not much to offer except a post office and I already applied there but didn't get a call back, so I"ll go again and try and as soon as they hire me or somewhere else does.. my work now can kiss my A** goodbye! I think you did the right thing and I"m glad it worked out so well with you! Thanks for writing
Thanks! It was funny how they could change my shift when I told them I was leaving! Why couldn't they do it before?! You just have to put your foot down and show them they need you more then you need them. Keep applying! I put in a application where I worked at now 2 times before!! Keep at it and keep bugging the heck out of them you got to keep up on them, or they will forget about you! Even my boss told me that! He was going to call me before for an interview, but forgot! I wish you luck also!! :):)
@nixxi76 (3192)
Wow thanks very much for your advice and I"m going to definitly try it. I'm going to have to fix up my resume up a bit and revolve it around for whatever I'm going to apply for but I'm not going to do it this week because tomorrow is my birthday and I want to just relax because I feel I deserve that at least once a year and why not have it for tomorrow
@Bluepatch (2480)
• Trinidad And Tobago
I once worked with a boss who believed the best way to relieve the lack of staff and overwork was to give everybody in the department a different job, rotation wise, every week. I used to walk in everyday and ask the perp what job I had today. The things bosses do when they don't want to do the necessary are cruel and uncaring. There's no doubt about that. And its not going to improve unless the boss changes. So maybe you should look for something else. You never know what you will find !
@nixxi76 (3192)
Wow that's actually a good idea lol. I would love to try what the LPN's and RN's are doing but I don't have the education knowledge of it. I think the RN's and LPN's sure know about what we have to do and I think they should have our job for once haha! I'm sure they would hate that lmao. I think there's maybe one nurse that helps us and he works at night, the others just tell us that the residents need help and don't lift a finger... but anyways I"m flying off topic here sorry lol. My boss has tried this when everyone starts complaining that things are not fare and then ticks everyone off worse. He thinks he's clever but really he's losing staff all the time. Thanks for your comment
@jesbellaine (4157)
Well, I guess am one of those people then. I have been working here for almost 4 years now and I can say that it is really tiring and frustrating at times. I guess I just need some break so that I can unwind with all the problems or troubles I have lolz.