Denied again!!

@Katlady2 (9920)
As most of you know I've been trying to get approved for Social Security Disability. They denied me in December so I went and filed my appeal in January before I had my surgery. Apparently they don't think that the fact that I have to live on Vicodin in order to be able to even walk is a good enough reason to be approved because they denied me yet again. I just got the letter today. I so cannot handle rejection. So I guess I'm going to be lawyering up here some time this week. I have the number they keep advertising on tv for a firm that doesn't charge unless their clients win. So I will be more than likely giving them a call. UGH! This is so aggravating! Thank you all for letting me vent on this (again). Wish me luck in getting the lawyer. Hugs to all..........Carryl
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Absolutely best of luck! I hear that it is really hard to get approved for certain types of medical conditions (ie anything you can't see with your own eyes or on a x-ray). Sorry you have to get a lawyer, but if you have to you have to!
@Katlady2 (9920)
Thank you so much for your response hon. I heard how difficult it is too. Good thing I'm very stubborn! LOL! Thanks again.
@TriciaW (2441)
I used to tell my clients that it would take 3 times before they would be approved. Sad that it is that way but I think that is the magic number. Now if you keep appealing and they approve you on the 3rd time then they have to pay you back to your first time you applied. I have no clue why they do this to people because it is just really sad. So do not stop. File for it again right away. Lawyers will take a certain percent of what SSI owes you but if you really need it then it isn't so bad. Maybe check with your legal aide to see if they know anyone that does it without a charge. There are some out there you just have to find them. I am sorry you are going through all of this. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
@Katlady2 (9920)
I've had others tell me that the third time is usually the charm. Hopefully that will prove true in my case too. Thank you so much for the encouragement hon. I really appreciate it.
@pyewacket (44036)
Oh crap--gee isn't Social Security nice? Try to do what I did that time I had my benefits cut off....try to get in touch with your local Congressman as they usually have someone there who does SSI/disability benefits and will give you clout Now a fair warning Katlady...don't be fooled to think that lawyers won't charge fees unless you win...NOPE---unless you can get some kind of Legal Aid help which IS free, but they take a lot longer to resolve anything (my one friend tried for benefits for NINE years with a Legal Aid lawyer)..anyway ALL non Legal Aid lawyers will charge...they all want a minimum $1,000 starter up fee to get the paperwork done..THEY ALL CHARGE...so don't believe that shat about them not charging unless you win...yeesh, I've had my hands full of lawyers so I know---
@webeishere (36353)
Yeah pye, You've had your share of fun with the Government as of late. I also may need to file for SSI due to me suffering from DDD and not being able to stand nor sit for an extended period of time. I can more than likely get a Dr statement along these lines so maybe I can get it easily? YEAH RIGHT! HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@Katlady2 (9920)
Yeah, I know you've had to deal with a lot of that garbage hon. I'm going to get in touch with my congressman again and tell them I was denied. They did contact Social Security for me the last time I talked to them. So maybe they will be willing to have a chat with them again. And my pastor told me to get in touch with our state Senator. She is a major advocate for people dealing with this kind of situation. Hopefully it will help. I found some lawyers that give a free phone consultation, so maybe I will talk to one of them and see what's up with their fees. I'm just so stressed out about this and what's going on with hubby that I can't think straight enough to talk to a lawyer of any kind at the moment. Thanks hon. Be warned, I might pester you with questions here pretty soon. LOL! Hugs to you.
@pyewacket (44036)
Yup, MSV....I think the only reason SS shook their fannies faster than they did about getting my benefits reinstated was thanks to Congressional intervention...I got my benefits back in a month's time..probably a Guinness record! If I hadn't I think I still be waiting! And if that were the case I'd be homeless as I wouldn't have been able to pay rent Katlady..pester me all you want..heehee. Don't mind...still trying to get that IRS check thing settled...dragging out longer than I though...while I did do an email to my Congressman about that, I plan to call tomorrow...once again maybe if I have some kind of Congressional help might be able to get the check into my account--the one who is being the obnoxious beech is the "operations" manager of my bank--yeesh I hear ya though...the tiring thing about making phone calls is that you have to explain the whole story over and over and over again...sheesh..what would really be handy would be if I had a tape recorder tape my story then just play it back to all the places I'm calling..
@emeraldisle (13146)
Katlady2 I know how you feel. I just filed my latest appeal and now it has to go in front of a judge. It is so aggravating. They admit I'm disabled but "not disabled enough" and that this is according to my records up to 2003. Last I looked it's now 2008 and my condition has deteriorated even more since 2003. Now I have to wait and see what happens. If it helps at all they did this to my sister. They kept denying her and she had to appeal to a judge and they were saying ti would take up to two years for a judge to see it. She had to get our local congressman involved. As soon as she did, within 2 months they approved her and said she had been disabled since before she even applied. I swear it's a game to them. They don't care what they put us through. I sometimes wonder if they get a bonus for everyone they turn down. Hang in there and I wish you luck.
@Katlady2 (9920)
They also told me that I wasn't disabled enough to satisfy their requirements. I'm going to email my congressman again and see if he will get in touch with them one more time about this. He called them once before, and I think that's what got my evaluation scheduled sooner. I'm also going to get in touch with my state senator. My pastor told me that she is a big help in situations like this. Good luck on your appeal too hon. And thanks so much for responding here. Hugs!
@emeraldisle (13146)
It can't hurt to have email them. That's my thought on it. Once I get the letter on the schedule I plan on contacting mine. I know my sister had to send him a letter with explaining why she needed it expedited due to financial reasons. He wanted that more then her physical problems. Not sure on what yours might want but contacting them never hurts.
I Wish you the best of luck. I sincerly do wish you the best in getting approved. My mom recently just got her letter of approval after two years of applying and then the appeals process and she lawyered up as well. Best Of Luck, Motorheadbanger
@Katlady2 (9920)
Good for your mom. The perseverance and stubbornness paid off for her. Thanks so much hon.
@Feona1962 (7527)
I don't get it...Sometimes I wonder who is actually making these decisions. I know someone that wrote to their congressman and they said they would check into it..They did and SS said that he had to wait his turn...whatever that means..Good luck..Hugs PPP...
@Katlady2 (9920)
Well that was rude of them to say! Hopefully it doesn't mean anything negative. If they said that to me I'd have to kick them! LOL! Hugs!
@Feona1962 (7527)
Now, now PPP...Remember our little talk about your temper tantrums..don't tell me you don't remember!!!...Okay, that's better...For a minute there I thought I was going to have to come over there...Don't make me come over there!!..you better be start haven...
@Katlady2 (9920)
Yes, dear, I remember. I'm much calmer now. Although.....if it would bring you to my house.......teeheehee! Love ya lots PPP!
@bdugas (3581)
I have been through the system twice since 1995 when my husband got hurt on the job and I had to fight for his disability, he had a lawyer off tv, and no you don't pay them up front. You sign a paper for a percentage of what you get in back pay, it starts out at about 10%, if he ask and they so ok we will pay, (which never happens) and goes to 40% if they have to take it into court which is always the case. They can take money for fees from Social Security but not from SSI backpay. i know this because my husband got back pay for both and they ask the court for the 405 off the SSI and the judge ruled they was paid 40% off of Social Security and could not come back for more for SSi. SSI is automatic once found disabled by a judge. The fastest way to get disability now adays is depression. I had massive heart problemsm they said the open heart surgery fixed that, I have COPD, but when it was noted that I was so depressed from all the stress I was under it went right through. I had a legal aid attorney, it went twice as fast as the paid lawyer my husband had. Plus the paid lawyer lost the file with all the doctor's reports in it and it layed misfiled for 18 months, of which we lost our home, our truck, sold off all our furniture to survive on and you know what they didn't care, not the paid attorney or the court. I feel for you but if you hire a soc/dis attorney make sure you stay on top of him and see that he is not doing too much waiting around and stalling the process because like I said the longer it takes the more they get. My husbands paid lawyer filed a paper afterwards that cost him his disability pay from the employer, and then we had to start the fight with Social Security. I know pain hurts, but sometimes the fight to get help is worse than the pain we are in. Good luck to you, I hope you get it this next time. Usually 3 times the charm whether you got a paid lawyer or not. I think I would let it go through this appeal before I hired a attorney, we was told this was our 3rd time up there and we would of got it no matter whether we had an attorney or not. Goo d Luck
@Katlady2 (9920)
Wow! You both went through a lot for that! Thank you so much for all of the advice. I need all of the help I can get here. I really appreciate it hon.
@bdugas (3581)
A lot of the time you can handle the whole thing your self, the only thing I was told the paid lawyer did was file the paper work and I could of done that, but I dont' believe I could of at the time I was too sick. Why do you think there are so many lawyers that have turned to disability claims or if your injured call them, it is a money maker for them with out much effort put out. Just like the class action lawsuits, it is all in the money for the attorney. if you could fnd a really good and smart legal assistant, eh can do the same of you as the attorney in filing the papers, what are they caled can't think of the work right now, some times the local college has classmates that they will let handle you case for the esperience. Oh i know the word i was thinking of is paralegal, they will only charge you for their work.
@Katlady2 (9920)
I will most definitely keep that in mind. Thanks again hon.
@jennifer611 (2502)
They always deny, just keep appealing it. they should be able to give you a number to a lawyer who does not charge. here we have "Legal Aid" and a few others. My fiance was denied and we appealed a couple times, finally we got one of the free lawyers they told us about and right then he was approved and started getting his money shortly after. I say if you don't get approved on this next appeal, get that lawyer. a lot of times they just don't take it seriously if your doing this on your own, and with a lawyer behind you (free or not) they take it more seriously and things get going with it. I'm sure it will all work out for you. Good Luck!
@Katlady2 (9920)
We have Legal Aid here too, plus a program called SHARP. So I might be calling them too. I already have my list of lawyers written up for calling, now I just have to get up the energy to do it. LOL! Thanks so much hon. BTW, love the avatar!
Don't feel bad, this will actually work in your favor. Now that you have a lawyer, they will have no choice but to give you the SSI. On top of this, once they approve you, they have to give you back pay from the time when you first applied!!! This will be great so get the lawyer and be patient. If you are truly disabled, the money is just steadily adding up for you!!!
@Katlady2 (9920)
That's what I'm hoping for. Thanks so much for the positive words of encouragement hon. Hugs!
@sid556 (31005)
Contact your govenor and tell him your story. I have a customer that had a stroke...can't focus and can't be on his feet for more than a few hours. He was having trouble collecting disability. He finally wrote the govenor just to vent about the system....the govenor contacted SS and next he got an appology from ss and his check is in the mail.
@Katlady2 (9920)
Hmmmm....I just might have to get in touch with my governor too. I'd love to see the reactions of the SS people if my congressman, governor AND senator all got in touch with them. That would be absolutely priceless! Thanks for the great suggestion hon.
Dear Carry I went trough the same thing,and had to get me a lawyer.I think it`s a money game.It`s not fair but thats life. hope you get it.
@Katlady2 (9920)
And that makes life suck sometimes doesn't it? Oh well, sometimes when the punches roll at us we have to hit back. I have my list of lawyers that I want to call, so I will be spending a lot of time on the phone here pretty soon. So I have my boxing gloves on, ready to go. LOL! Thanks hon.
@tjades (3592)
• Jamaica
It is a mystry to me why people who really need the assistance are always given the burning end of the stick to hold. I t must be a very frustrating experience for you. I read a comment earlier which suggested that you go for it the third time as that is the magic number. Well I say go for it and my prayers are with you. (lol)
@Katlady2 (9920)
Hopefully that magic number will hold true for me too, because I'm most definitely going for it! LOL thanks hon.
@icyorchid (2564)
Make sure you have a SS Disibility specialist attorney.... The attorney that is real good here in Lousiana (New Orleans) is Matt Greenbaum. I am so sorry you were turned down, one thing I do know that NO employer will hire someone who has to be on pain killers to be able to do their job. There are certain ways to write out the disability papers and the lawyer will know all the key words to use. I wish you the best of luck in this. I applied last month and am waiting to hear from them now. I think they will deny me as I was misdiagnosed, but who knows. You really need it, so good luck ~Icy~
@Katlady2 (9920)
That's what it was like when I was the assistant manager of a convenience store...any time an applicant mentioned disability or back pain of any kind and having to take pain killers, my boss would pretty much write that person off the list. So sad. Thanks so much for the advice hon. And good luck with your case too.
@anniepa (27238)
I'm am so sorry to hear that! They make me SICK! I'm waiting to hear now from them because my last MRI shows I have spinal stenosis and four herniated discs so supposedly my condition is on the approved list but they still need to confirm my "limitations". I'd absolutely get a lawyer. You should have a decent amount of back pay coming and they can only take up to a certain amount - I think it's $5,500 or 25%, whichever is smaller. Best of luck to you, Hon. Hang in there, things will get better! Annie
@Katlady2 (9920)
Well I hope they get their butts in gear and get to approving you then. Good luck with that hon. And thank you for the encouragement. Hugs to you.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
ssdi - Be a fighter and fight hard
Please don't let them win!! They denied you to discourage you but don't let them win in doing so! Please be a fighter and get the lawyer so he can win your case! Dang them idiots anyway.... arg!!
@Katlady2 (9920)
Oh ho ho.....those suckers don't have any idea as to how stubborn and hard headed I really am. I am going to make a pest out of myself if I have to (with the help of a lawyer of course). Thanks hon. Hugs!
I know this doesn't help, but that is actually normal. I was denied twice before I got a lawyer and was accepted the third time. A lawyer organizes things and really tells you what you need to do. Mine didn't require payment until I was accepted, and it was taken out of my meager 'back pay'. It discouraged me to no end, but it did help when I found out unless you're missing a couple limbs, you are constantly having seizures, or you are mute, deaf, and blind, you usually get turned down every time until the third and final. One tip though: stay on top of the lawyer. Mine was a very nice man, but they don't make their money on disability cases. So they aren't in as much of a hurry as we are.
@Katlady2 (9920)
I will most definitely do that. Hopefully I won't make a total pest out of myself once I do get a lawyer. LOL! Thanks hon. Hugs!
@sherrir101 (3670)
I am so sorry, Carryl. I know how aggravating this can be. My neighbor is going through this also.Remember the want you to document, document , document. Do cal the lawyers office. They can help. I would lend you my cane, but I am using it at the moment. That is how I finally go it. They saw how bad I was with walking with my cane. Are you able to use one? Would that help you? You can vent to me anytime.
@Katlady2 (9920)
There have actually been days that I thought about buying one to use when my hip joints have been particularly painful. I've even thought about one of those motorized scooters like you see elderly people using just to relieve the pain of walking. But pride gets in the way at those times. LOL! If things don't get better, I might have to get one anyway. I promise I won't ask for yours. Hahahaha! Thanks hon. Hugs!
@webeishere (36353)
I haven't followed this ordeal with you. Do you have a Doctor statement verifying your disability as far as not being able to walk and work etc to make a living due to this disability? Good luck with hiring an attorney as well. My best wishes going out to you as well as some much needed prayers. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@Katlady2 (9920)
My doctor has actually sent them statements regarding my condition. But I think I'm going to get something from him for myself so that I have it when I do contact a lawyer. Thanks for reminding me about it hon. Hugs!
@gabs8513 (48715)
Sweetie I was denied twice with my Disability even though they had a Letter from Doctor and Consultant that I would not be able to work any more I do not know if it works the same there as it does here I got mad and I appealed again and asked them why not one of their Doctors has been sent out to me as that is one of their Procedures, within a week their Doctor came out to me and I got it after that The thing is the People that lie get it and the ones that tell the truth don't and it is not fair the genuine ones having to fight for it like that Good Luck Sweetie and I am sorry you have to go through all this Hugs
@Katlady2 (9920)
It's pretty much the same here as it is there hon. A big pain in the butt! Hopefully the third time will really be the charm and I will get approved. I haven't called any lawyers yet because I've been feeling pretty tired and worn out the last couple of days. That's what I get for running around doing errands. LOL! I'll probably get things going at the beginning of next week. Big hugs to you sweetie.
@gabs8513 (48715)
I was actually worried about you as I had not seen you and when you did not appear in my Discussions about my Son last week I got worried I did try to ring you a couple of Days ago but could not get through for some reason Please take care of yourself Sweetie you know I worry about you Love you and a big Hug
@Katlady2 (9920)
I'm sorry hon. I wasn't feeling that hot last week. I was really tired every day for some reason. I would go back to bed in the morning after taking my daughter to school, and sometimes even in the afternoon after picking her up. I feel a bit better now....not so tired all the time. I don't know what is going on with my phone line. A couple of people said they couldn't get through. I moved the phone back to the jack in the dining room and it seems to be working better now. So maybe you can get through to me now. Big hugs to you hon. And again I'm sorry I worried you.
@cwilson26 (2737)
Yes I have also been denied twice now and have already went to one hearing and just sent in my papers to go to another one. I have hired a great law-firm to represent me, Mannsmanne and Moore. You definitely need to be calling a lawyer to help you. Good luck. :)
@Katlady2 (9920)
I haven't started calling around yet. But I intend to get on the ball this week. I have my list all set up with numbers and websites so I can get information together on the lawyers before I decide which one to call. Thanks so much hon. And good luck with yours too.