Are you tired of family members constantly adding dishes to the sink?

@jovimom (1576)
It seems like every time I get dishes done, there are more. It's not that hard to rinse something off and put it in the dishwasher! My son and husband both are forever putting dirty dishes in the sink and not bothering to rinse them off at least! I can't hold my 5 year old accountable for things like that yet. I just found 4 glasses, a bowl, and a saucer in the sink that I had cleaned out about 2 hours ago! That's just pure laziness, what are everyone else's views on this? I know I've told both of them several times, they just don't care to listen
@icyorchid (2564)
I know exactly how you feel. I would do all the dishes and then comes my daughter with a glass and just puts it in the sink, not wash it or anything, just put it in the sink. I finally got so upset, I told her, the next time she comes in the kitchen and puts something in the sink after I have already did the dishes, I'd better see her grabbing for the dish liquid and sponge! Well, that stopped her, she just put them in the sink in the morning after staying in her room overnight, if she didn't feel like washing it I really didn't care, it was her glass, not one of mine
@jovimom (1576)
Oh yes, my son will leave dishes in his room forever before bringing them downstairs to the kitchen. My husband is also bad about leaving glasses on his desk. He used to have his house spotless when I first met him, and now he can't even wash a dish
@icyorchid (2564)
Sometimes my hubby washes dishes, other times they sit waiting for me He mostly does them when I am not feeling good and they are a lot of them. If there are only 2 or 3, they wait for me the next morning
@carmelanirel (20979)
That isn't right and I make sure my family knows it..Of course the 5 y/o is an exception, but my husband and 18 y/o know not to..(though my husband has been slipping lately.. ) My 18 y/o saw first hand why and this is probably why she now rinses every time. Besides the fact that she also does dishes here, she was at a friends about 3-4 years ago where the whole family, including both parents didn't rinse off the dishes..And her friend had to do the dishes and when my daughter saw the stuck on gunk and how long it took her friend to do dishes, she saw the wisdom in rinsing...
@jovimom (1576)
Yep, that was a good experience for her then. I always soak dishes that have stuck on food or grease, that way when it comes time to do dishes, it's not so hard to get clean
@seiyuh (162)
Oh, they do that A LOT! I'm tired telling them everyday to wash their own dishes and not just leave them there were flies, cockroaches and.. stuffs will roam around, yikes!! :D There are times that I leave the dishes in the morning, when am back after work, the dishes are still there! Can you believe that?? And when I go to their rooms there are cups and plates lying around. Geezz...
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah, I know what you mean, it grosses me out to find old moldy plates laying around! There's just no reason to let dirty dishes sit like that...I can't stand it, I'd feel dirty if I did that!
@raijin (10373)
Same here i Jovimom, they should at least have the common sense to at least rinse it in-case they don't want to wash the dishes themselves. That way, dirts won't have to stick and build up in it. I find these behavior immature, irresponsible and totally irritating too. Though I don't get to wash the plates, I at least give my share to do things a lot easier..
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah it is really hard to get dishes clean after they've set overnite. All it takes is a quick rinse to make it a lot easier on the person doing the dishes...
@emeraldisle (13146)
Oh believe me I am very frustrated with it as well. Now when the dishwasher is full or just been run and not emptied I can understand to some extent but when one is done by a 50 year old man then there is no excuse. He could empty the washer or when it's not full he can put his dishes in there but he doesn't. He set them on the counter or on the sink for us to take care. It is pure laziness and it's aggravating. I shouldn't have to tell a man of that age how to clean up after himself.
@jovimom (1576)
No, you shouldn't. It's like the older a man gets the lazier he gets, go figure
@deebomb (15323)
Don't you just want to hang them up by their toes. This really makes me mad. To have a nice clean kitchen and sink clear of dishes when I leave the kitchen and come back and some snack dishes setting there. I keep telling my grandson to wash off his dishes. Some times he does and sometimes he doesn't. Then there are time when he just gives them a rinse and put them in the drainer but they aren't clean. That makes me just as mad. I picture having him hanging upside down ans sticking bamboo under his finger nails.
@jovimom (1576)
LOL, Yes I do! It might seem petty to them, but I like having an empty sink as often as possible. My mom has always been that way too.
@taylor96 (46)
Hello! First of all awesome picture of jon bon jovi. They have been my favorite band since middle school and I'm 33 now. Anyway, I know what you mean about dishes appearing in the sink waiting to be rinsed off and put into the dishwasher by you only. I could just wring my husbands,daughters, and sons neck. Is it not enough that we practically run the household? I completely agree with you that it is plain laziness. When I go in to the kitchen and there's a sink full of dishes that have nothing to do with me. I holler for the rest of the family and tell them to clean up their mess. It works for me. See Yah. Jen
@jovimom (1576)
Thanks, they are my favorite band as you can tell, hence the name "jovimom" I've been in there fan club since the These Days album came out. If I would've known about it before then, I would've joined earlier. Well, my son used to help with the dishes, but he couldn't seem to get them clean, so there went that. My husband has not done dishes since I moved in with him, nor any other household chores besides taking the trash out My daughter isn't quite old enough yet to help out, she's 5, will be 6 in August. Thanks for responding
Yeah it seems never ending. I am in the process of laundry because while my Father in law was down, it piled up! I'm letting the dishes go until tomorrow... My husband makes me so mad sometimes because he won't put his plate in the sink when he's done with dinner. Well, when we got our own place I wouldn't put up with it. It's funny, every time we go to his mom's for dinner and I get mad that he left his plate on the table and he puts it in the sink, she looks amazed! LOL :P
@jovimom (1576)
She's probably amazed because you managed to get him to do something she never could I just don't understand what is so hard about at least putting dishes in the dishwasher...
@nanayangel (7839)
Hi there jovimom! I know it's hard but i don't think we have any choice. Not unless you can stand seeing dirty dishes on the sink. If you can, then you can try not washing them and just washing yours whenever you need to use it. That might teach them and show them how it is if they don't wash their own.
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah, but that's my biggest problem. I can't stand to let dirty dishes build up, it drives me CRAZY