Do you purchase the reusable bags?

@saundyl (9698)
When in the store do you purchase the canvas or fabric or heavy plastic reusable bags to take instead of the flimsy plastic ones? If you do when you go to the store the next time do you remember to take them? I buy them but i never seem to remember to take them in. I do though use them for lunch bags and "book bags - one for new library books and one for returns. I use them to take things to and from my moms or friends houses...They last a long time and are pretty useful even if i do forget to take them into the store. One store i make a point of remembering to take them into is Superstore as they charge 4 cents per flimsy plastic bag and half the time the break before u get them filled and u have to purchase another one or two.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Canvas Grocery Bags - Canvas Grocery Bags instead of Plastic
I do have and use canvas grocery bags instead of the plastic ones. I have been using them for a few years now and can not think of going food shopping without them.
@saundyl (9698)
I have such a hard time remembering to take them from my car into the store.
I usually have at least one shopping bag with me when I go out and I have several canvas type shopping bags at home. I don't like using the flimsy plastic carrier bags as they break far too easily and they are dreadful for our environment.
@saundyl (9698)
They are really bad for the environment...i've seen shows about how birds eat them or get tangled in them and other bad effects of plastics. It was really interesting and surprising how bad they are.
@twilight021 (2060)
The stores near me are not charging for plastic bags....yet. But I have bough a few of the resuable bags (they are only $1) and I try to use them as often and i can. It's true I do often forget them, but I try to keep at least one in my car at all times, in the event I forget to bring more bags. That way I have at least oneone hand. Trader joes has great resuable bags, and I have even made a few totes for myself and as gifts.
@saundyl (9698)
some stores here do charge and others dont. I know it does cost them money to purchase the bags so i do understand that as prices rise on the bags they have to offset the cost elsewhere. I havent tried making bags my self but ones other people make always look so neat.
I just purchased one of those yesterday at carrefour, it's a quite nice green canvas bag with environmental quotes on it. I'm concern with the environment, global warming and all, so by buying on of those bags makes me feel i have helped at least a little. I should remember using it and taking it with me the next time i went shopping
@saundyl (9698)
I feel that way too.
yes i do purchase those reusable bags. i have two at the moment and so far i'm glad that i've always managed to bring these when i shop. i have tons of plastic bags at home and these are piling up. everytime i use these reusable bags, i get extra points in my membership card which i can later redeem. also, this is my own way of being environment friendly.
@saundyl (9698)
Extra points? Thats a neat idea to get people to use them. I had a ton of plastic bags and they dont seem to get used as fast as one might hope. I'm saving some to use for a garage sale for people to take things away in.
@ladym33 (11009)
I still get the plastic bags, but I do use them to pack my husband's lunch in everyday. I also use them carry my packages from my business to the post office. So I am re-using them, not just wasting them.
@saundyl (9698)
when i do get them i reuse them for carrying things..or as garbage bags (especially for cat litter) I hate buying real garbage bags it seems like such a waste of money to buy them to throw them out right away!
Mostly the stores here provide the plastic bags so I don't hand carry another plastic bag or any reusable bags to put the stuffs I buy into. They don't charge for the plastics anyways.
@eden32 (3978)
I have 3 reusable bags that I remember to take with me about 75% of the time. The plastic bags I end up with when I occasionally forget mine, I use for trash bags.
@Elixiress (3893)
No, but I do choose them rather than the plastic ones in places like Marks and Spencers that hand them out for free. I have never found anywhere that actually charges for the flimsy ones around here.
I have a few bags. I try to remember them but I do forget a lot. When I do forget I try to get away with as few bags as possible. Somes times I just take a box that is there or load everything back into the cart and load it into my car. Bags are a luxury and not a necessity. It is frusturating to me that every store has bags they want you to carry with their name on it. I wish they sold cute ones instead.
I haven't actually purchased any of those reusable shopping bags, but I wouldn't mind having a nice sturdy one so I'm not constantly being stuck with plastic bags. It's just better for the environment. I have a few bags that I carry things in if I need to, but they really aren't meant for shopping purchases.
i definetly use the canvas.i got tired of them breaking before i got home and dumping milk or soda on the sidewalk.even beyond the recycling,that was a big thing for me.
We do! The super market here gives 2points for every reusable bag we bring.
@ShepherdSpy (8563)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
The Irish Republic brought in what is effectively a "Bag Tax" a few years ago..you want a plastic carrier bag,you pay for it.(5 Euro Cent each) Aldi and Lidl are 2 German parented stores who have expanded into the UK and Ireland..they have a different take on shop displays-it's more like warehousing-the product packs are set out still in their packing cartons-this way,prices are kept low,and many people take the empty cardboard boxes rather than pay for bags to carry stuff out to the car..Asda in the UK (now owned by Walmart) still offers "free" plastic bags.Tesco UK do too,but they encourage re-use of carrier bags,and using non disposable or recyclable bags,by crediting you with "green" points on your loyalty card each time you reuse one.I have a Recyclable bag,and try not to take plastic ones anymore..they tend to take over the house if you don't reuse them!