Did you know there were websites that teach young girls how to be Anorexic?

I had no idea there were such websites out there. I have a 3 yr old daughter, and this disgusts me. I dont know what their names are, nor do I want to. But they teach things, like putting bleach on your food, to ruin the taste of the food. Eat while changing the cat litter, to lose your appetite. These sites are legal, because of free speech, but how disgusting are these people. My children currently, can not roam the internet by themselves, but when they can, I definately will have these types of offensive, disgusting sites blocked.
@whittby (3073)
It seems like you can find information on anything you can think of on the Internet. I don't know how much stuff you can block, but I wouldn't want my kids around this - young girls on so susceptible to remarks about image to begin with. All they need is a bad day, and here is something that tells them how to be super model skinny.
I am no way condoning being over weight, but these sites that promote these stick figure women and how to get stick figure thin, are just dangerous and have no place in an ethical society. I saw on the news last night where France passed a law, where super models that are stick thin, can no longer be used on the cat walks. We will see how long that lasts.
@whittby (3073)
Well, good for France. I hope it lasts. I'm sick of size 0 women being promoted as fashionable.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
I'm tired of unhealthy women being promoted as fashionable. A woman can be a perfectly natural and healthy size 0. Women can also be healthy at size 16.
@Jemina (5783)
Whatever! Why would they do that? I know some overweight people need to lose extra pounds but the danger is that some women get so sick of this. They even become like a walking skeleton. If only the anorexic could control themselves and stop the habit when they get slim, it would be great.
True, but the methods they teach to lose weight for anyone are unhealthy and extremely irrational.
@Jemina (5783)
I know what you mean. I have seen news and photos of those girls recently and my, how scary the look. Well, those sites should be monitored and censored by the government or the health department at least.
They cant because of free speech. It has been determined that offesive speech is better than no speech. We have to the right to not visit such sites, block them from our children, and educate others to their existance. That is the ultimate battle for free speech.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
It's sick what kind of sites are out there. I did know about the type you talked about...of course they claim it's about creating a healthy body and lifestyle in the midst of a fat, over indulgent society. They claim that girls can stop the lifestyle when ever they are satisfied with their bodies...we'll that's the problem, these girls are never satisfied! If you want to protect your kids, I've got another sick kind for you...ones that promote "child love". And no I don't mean puppy love between kids or that parent/child bond. These sites promote another alternative lifestyle involving adults who truly feel they need to be with children...in every sick sense of the word. It also claims that these children want to give their innocence to them.
I am assuming you are speaking of NAMBLA, they are a bunch of sickos if there ever were any. Sad part is it is considered free speech and is therefore completely legal. They disgust me too, maybe even more.
@Samanthavv (1386)
I have a hard time agreeing with you. There are a lot of sites out there that are considered "pro" but are really just a place to support girls who don't have anyone who understands them....these sites aren't meant to harm, just to create a group of people who are going through the same thing.
I will partially agree with you. However the very specific websites I am speaking of give tips, info, and educate girls on how to make themselves anorexic. That is not a support group in my opinion.
I have an eating disorder, so I'll try to give you an insiders perspective, please don't shut me off because of it. I do not consider myself pro-ana, I would never encourage someone to start these habits, but I do understand the existence of these pro sites. In my opinion, the girls and women who go to these sites for tips are already in trouble, or they wouldn't be looking. Everyone knows that anorexia can kill, they learn that in school, they show them pictures of women taken the week of their deaths to show how bad it is, how bad it looks. Eating disorders are very isolating. The internet is a safe feeling way to relieve the isolation of it partially. It helps them and myself not feel so alone with the disorder. Why do they post tips? The same reason, to share what they have figured out with others. There is always a bond between people who suffer from similar diseases or circumstances. It's the same with things like diabetes, cancer, people who have lost a loved one to drunk driving. When you "meet" people you have this bond with, you want to share what you know. Many of us have realized that we are not helping, but actually hurting others, and have stopped tipping. The sites I frequent are "no tip" sites with good moderators that delete tips and warn those who post them to think through what they are saying a little more before they post. I agree that you should block these sites in your house. I hope your children never experience and ED. But I also am in support of free speech, even when I disagree. I don't think these sites should be illegal, because of free speech which i want to protect. However, I do not personally support any tipping site. What many do not know is there are a lot of sites that are simply support communities. People share what they are going through and so feel less alone. This I do support. I have seen many people from these sites come to a decision to recover, voluntarily, their own decision. These are the ones who have the best chance to succeed, and we all encourage them and cheer them on as they start making healthier choices. I hope that sheds some light on the issue for you.
I understand the issue, and thank you for being open and honest. I do not hold it against you for having an eating disorder. I do however have to disagree with your perspective of sharing tips. I think it is outrageous to think it is appropriate to teach another person how to have an illness and possibly kill themselves in the process. I believe whole heartedly in free speech, which is why I start these kinds of discussions. So other people will know they exist, and keep their kids away from them.
@ravinskye (8242)
wow that really is sad. i wish there was something that could be done to sites like that. i have 2 girls they are 5 and 3. I hope that they don't have any issues with food. I never had a problem with it when i grew up. i wasn't skinny, i was normal and I was happy with my body. Currently I am overweight after having 3 kids in 6 years, but I don't make an issue out of it infront of my girls. I would like to lose the weight, but more to be healthy and keep up with my kids then to be thin.
Free speech is a pretty broad and liberal thing in this country. That is why parents have the right to block such sites. I just cant believe someone would actually make such a site, what is wrong with them?