facebook should come with the warning...can destroy marriages!

Until recently I was an avid facebooker. I told my husband when i first joined and showed him my profile page on which were numerous photos of us and the kids and 112 friends. He really didn't like it as he is - and i know he is an incredibly private person. I promised him i would cancel the account but stupidly didn't. It was so addictive that i couldn't stay off it. After several weeks my hubby came home and discovered i was still on it. Naturally he went off like a bottle of pop because i'd lied. Fortunately we got past it but some couples wouldn't. It links members to anyone they have ever known, friends and friends of friends could end up knowing allsorts about you. Looking back I cringe at how many people i added as "friends" when i'd probably walk past them in the street. What's your opinion
Why not simply delete the photographs so your husband cannot be seen on Facebook. You can edit your profile too, and remove the more personal details very easily. Ok, so perhaps you shouldn't have lied but then again your husband could be seen as over-reacting. You have the option, too, of not adding people, just be a little more careful when accepting requests. Facebook is addictive and I have found a load of my old friends on there, but I have also received friend requests from people who I don't really know all that well, so I decline.
It's not so much the photo's of him - more the photo's of the kids. I can see that it would appear like an over reaction too but the circumstances are that i had added friends that were siblings of friends of his ex (from 11/12 years ago) who was a bit of a bunny boiler. When i say he's a private person...he's got his reasons! Also i never had it in me to decline anyone cos i thought it seemed an awful concept - guess i'm too nice for may own good. Thanks for your comment x
@sedel1027 (17854)
If this happened to you with facebook, it can happen anywhere. Sounds like you were addicted.
@hcromer (2712)
I don't feel like it is fair for your husband to tell you that you cannot use a social networking site. While I understand that he may want you to take down photos of him and your children and not put private information such as address and phone number on there, it's not really that dangerous of a site unless you are adding a lot of people as friends that you don't really know. If you do feel bad about the people that you have added, you can go back and delete them or even restrict their access to your page. Your husband should step into the 21st century, he can't get mad at you for being on Facbook, a girl has to have her friends you know?
To start off, if your husband is a private person you should have respected his wishes. Maybe you can compromise, you can go on facebook but have select people as friends or use facebook just for the applications. Log on using a fake name then you wont get people inviting you to accept their friendship. Luckily my boyfriend doesnt mind me using facebook, he too has got on the addicted side but doesnt use it as much as I do. Im not surprised he kicked off the way he did but am glad you managed to overcome your differences!!