I am hoping more people saw oprahs show today!

wasting money is a no no. - The bills, like the trash, keep piling up. "Some months, I have to borrow money," Joe Sr. says. "If I get a bonus, I can pay back my mother or friend. Right now, I'm on the brink of, borderline, where I'm going to lose everything
I could not believe what those people tossed away. I was glad my daughter was here from school. I had her watch the show with me. After it went off..I asked her if she learned anything from the show. She said..we don't waste anything. I was so happy to see she saw that. I have been lowering the cost of my light bill. So I am glad she watched the show for that as well.. Did you watch Oprah today?Did you learn anything about cutting the costs?I am going to buy a britta water filter. The bottled water is going bye bye.. http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200804/20080417/slide_20080417_284_101.jhtml?promocode=HP22
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Here is what she challenges: [i]Dear Family, Thanks for agreeing to live with less for a week. Your challenge starts now! This week, you will be eating at home every meal. No more eating out, no more takeout. And you have to eat your leftovers. If you throw food in the trash, you've got to 'fess up. For one week, you're going to give up the bottled water habit. Get a water filter—time to get to know your tap. No more disposable plates, cups, napkins or paper towels. Try cloth—you might like it! For entertainment, you'll have to rely on each other. For one week, I'm asking you to give up your iPods and video games, and your computers only get turned on for homework. TV is limited to one hour per night—one TV only. That thermostat is going way down…to 69 degrees. If you get cold, put on a sweater. Give your washing machine a break—try to wash only clothes that are TRULY dirty. When you leave a room, lights out. Ditto for fans. When you're done using an appliance, unplug it. Don't forget your computer and cell phone chargers too. Showers are going to be shorter—eight minutes max. Use a kitchen timer to help you keep track. Want to go shopping? Head to your closets. That's your wardrobe for the week. The mall is off-limits. You final challenge—no buying anything other than food for seven days. Good luck, Oprah [/i] I already do every bit of this except the computer. There are some days we don't watch TV at all, and other days we watch for a couple hours, so I'm sure that evens out. Either way, I wouldn't have a problem limiting to an hour a day. Since my time on the computer is bringing in money, I wouldn't quit that, but everything else is no problem for me.
The challenge was for that family on the show. Not for us watching the show. Many of us have no choice but to live this way. That family has the money to live a different life. So they were really the best example to have on the show. Thanks very much
We still have the bottled water for on the go and emergencies. Reciently we bought a fridge Pur filter. It is a pitcher that has the option of flavoring the water and it filters it for us too. I figure it will save on the water bill to since I dont need to run it to get cold water, just pop it in the fridge. It was $24 and I will need to buy new filters every 2 months so Im not sure it sill really save us all that much but I do feel better about the water my family is drinking and I guess we are drinking more water since we can have a raspberry flavored no calorie treat. Overall Im glad that I bought it even if the cost is close to tha same. It is very convienient.
I have to read the pros and cons on this - I love the option to have flavored water. I want to be sure no caffiene is in this
I was watching this one on tv. I wanted to know if the water really tastes good. I buy raspberry flavored water all the time. Thanks
@KKKBsmom (1093)
I am glad you posted the link... I missed her and always love to see these money saving shows... I wish I could get my bills down... I just really don't know what to do next!
These have saved me money - My light bill has gone down a lot. Plus we are keeping them off when not in use
change your light bulbs for starters. I can't begin to tell you how I love them. They cost more but are worth the money. Then start by cutting the cost of food. I don't eat as much beef as before. It makes a difference when shopping. I then have put the change in my savings bank.
@beaniecat (329)
I only got to see part of the show. I wish I'd gotten to see the whole thing. But I did go to her website to read the story. Really makes you take a look at your own life - doesn't it? Did you see her show on Freegans?
so much free food tossed out to the trash - You have to know how to get it though
Oh yeah I saw the freegans show. I wish there was a group near my home.I would be living the life on free food. That was good stuff tossed out. Oh boy.. I would eat more fruit if I could get it free like that.
I saw it this afternoon, I can not believe how much food that one family actually throw away.... good lord just what they throw away would feed us for a month. I know we all are wasteful in our lives and we need to take a good hard look at what we are throwing away.
Cooking so many eals a night - What could make her more tired?
I was so glad that they were able t see what was going to waste. They were just living the normal life for them. Now they are saving money and spending more time together. I hope they update us on this family. The food the mother was cooking alone was crazy.
We actually just purchased a Britta for our apartment. We did the math and released we were spending way too much money on bottled water and jugged water, not to mention, I didn't want to deal with the chemicals in the bottles any longer. We really try not to waste much, we've cut down on so much waste lately, especially while I'm here at school. My next step is to make sure we cut back on how much we waste at home.
Water can be very costly - If it's not a hurricane I need to cut costs.
I will be going to target today. I am going to look into the cost of this one. I am cutting back on a lot of things. Drinking water would be a good one.
@carolscash (9500)
Yes, I did watch this today and I was amazed that someone actually wasted that much food! I know that we are all wasteful and I know that we all have areas that we could cut back on but that family was just overboard in their spending. I have tried to cut back on bills and I have used leftovers that normally would have been thrown away before so that I can teach the kids a lot about how to save money. I am in the process of making a list of where our money goes so that I can see where else I can cut back on stuff. I know that I waste some things and I do use several paper towels but not a roll a day as they did. I couldn't believe it when she said that. I also don't like to waste water but I know that we do. I couldn't do a 5 minute shower as the one family did. I don't see that ever happening in our house.However, usually 10 minutes tops for my husband and I. The girls are another story,but I see them save in other ways. We don't drink much water and we never buy bottled water. We also don't buy much soda so that isn't an issue either. I always wash on cold water and I make some of my own cleaning supplies.