Earn Points is good as Earn cash!

@coffeebreak (17820)
I do several sites that offer paid surveys but "pay" you in points. YOu collect so many and then redeem them for gifts or gift cards or even for PayPal. Genearly speaking 1,000 points is equal to $10 - give or take a few here and there. But I just cashed out on several of them, some for the first time, others for repeat times. But i bought several things with the points - ergo GOT THE FREE! I did one that paid me in Amazon.com gift cards - the first time I cashed points I got $20 (that was in Febrary) and the next time, just a week ago, i cashed out for $10. I had $30 FREE dollars to spend at Amazon! If you spend more than $25 you get free shipping so I got The Andy Griffith box set of the 5th season - $24.99. I had $5 more dollars so I choose the Star Trek - Voyage Home (my favorite of the movies, didn't like any others!) as it was $6.99! So I got my favorits FREE I cashed in some and bought a cookbook - Betty Crocker Cook Book for Boys and Girls - I was given this book when I was 10 and almost substituted this cook book for the Bible! I loved it and read it al the time and made so many ofa the things and have my favorites. I bought one for my first grand daughter when she started cooking with me and made notes as to my favorites in the book and gave it to her for her 5th birthday. So while I was looking for what to buy, i saw this and grabbed it up! I paid $16 for the one I bought first, and now I have this one - FOR FREE - for my new 2 yo grand daughter - will wait of course a few years to give it to her! But it was free! I cashed in points at another survey site and bought Mary Poppins 40th Anniversay box set. My favorite movie as a kid - well, i never saw the movie until I was pregnant with my second child in 1982 but read the words off the pages of the books and had a record of the songs. http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1481117.aspx Now that my 8 yo GD loves the songs and hasn't seen the movie, I got it for FREE~ I have seen it at Target for $19.99 So I got, let's see - $19.99, $15.95 and whatever the Star Trek movie sells for and $24.99 - about $60 for free. Just taking little surveys. Yes, it took mea bout a month or two on some of them, but it is worth it to earn Points same as they were cash!
@arkaf61 (10884)
I guess that in some cases earning points can be the same as cash. I don't exactly feel it that way because even when points can be redeemed for a certain card it will allow me to use them in that certain card only - it limits what I can do with it so it's not exactly the same as cash. Sure, if I can redeem points for an amaxon.com card, or american eagle, or even Homedepot. But would I have spent that money on that place in the first time? Probably not. See what I mean ? :) I find that redeeming points for gift cards limits me to those specifics places. Yes it's like cash, but not like cash that I can use where I want. So I don't feel as motivated to respond to those surveys.
@coffeebreak (17820)
You have a point but look at it this way. 1. Now you have a gift card to use as a gift to someone. 2. Most don't have expiration dates anymore so you could hold on to it until you need something at that store. 3. Are you sure you dont' need anything at that store? Maybe you could use the gift card to get something there and then rebudget your cash for another store. 4. Watch sales at those stores and then use the GC. YOu can go to the online store and sign up for their newsletter and when they have sales or specials, they will send you an email - you can delete if not interested, but maybe there is something on sale you have been intending to get - now you get it for free at a lower price. Funny you should mention this...I had a similar discussion with my daughter just yesterday. Well, a text conversation anyway. I told her about this site where you get points to redeem for cash or gift cards if you buy things from other stores through this store. I have been very sucessful on it and have gotten free gift cards to place (they have ALOT of options to choose from, even PayPal!) simply buying what I would have bought anyway. She joined about 2 months ago and told me yesterday she got her first $50 GC from Kohl's, (oh by the way, this is how I got her $25 Starbucks gift card for christmas!) and asked if she should buy clothes or a cool pair of shoes. I'm a practialy person, I seldom splurge and she is kind of the opposite. So I didnt want to be a downer, so I said, which ever she needs, and if it is which ever she wants, just reorganzie your cash budget (which she is good at following) Take the GC and buy from Kohls and then take the same cash out of youf "clothing budget" and put it someplace else. Hard to put into writting, but it works great. I cash out for Target cards as I know I will use them. I asked her how she got so many so soon - and she said she went though this site to order NEtflix, and another thing like that, and AVON and , oh I forget the others she named but simply she was going to buy this stuff anyway so why not buy it through this site and get the points to redeem for cash? . SHe isn't made of money so it is not alot you have to spend and if you were going to buy from AVON anyway, why not buy through the site? PLus look at what she saved in gas by just sitting at home nad ordering and haveing it delievered than to drive to several differnet stores for what she wants and hope she finds it? I'm a believer, but yes, I do see your point. I"d say do it anyway and use them as gifts. IF you have a web page where you have contests, here's a great way to get a contest prize that costs you nothing!
@arkaf61 (10884)
I admit that they have its uses, and that they will be a bonus. I guess that since I am really pressed for money for things like bills and stuff I really would prefer cash, than a gift card for something that I could buy but not at this time. I also see gift cards as something that I get for some reason , not earn LOL So for now the time I could spend on those surveys I spend it here and get paid in cash rather than gift cards. Of course I see your point and agree with it. But I think it works better when we're not really struggling hehehehhe
@coffeebreak (17820)
needing the cash is why I started doing it in the first place. I still cash out for PayPal when that is an option. Then with that thing about IRS auditing Paypal, I thought, I'll just take the gift cards to the places I know I buy at and not involve PayPal. SO my $50 GC to Target buys what I need there and then I have an extra $50 cash in my budget to use else where. But hey, whatever works, I'm always looking out for more ways to save/earn. What works for one, may or may not work for the other. It's all in the process!
@chrislotz (8203)
I work a lot of survey sites too and some of them pay in points. I think I know which one you are talking about with the amazon gift certicates. I have $30 accumilated with that site but I haven't requested a payout yet. I guess I should. you are talking about testspin.com, I think. It is the one I am working on that I have enough points to cash out amazon gift certificates. I also work on greenfield and they offer points but it takes forever to receive enough to cash out. I have been a member with them for over a year and have not reached the 1000 points cash out yet, which is $10. I qualify for very few of the surveys they send me. or I only seem to qualify for the survey's that put me in a draw. I used to do over 30 surveys a month but since I never really make any money from them, I don't bother with most of them anymore. But since you are making some money with surveys. I say good for you. Keep it up.
@coffeebreak (17820)
I cashed out on Greenfield once $10 (after a year) and now the only ones I get are paid with entry to sweepstakes or drawings, I started doing them anyway, but since I have never won a single thing in my life in spite of all the things I have entered, I figured, why waste my time. I can do so many other things and collect cash or points so now I only do the ones that offer cash payment. Check my profile for Coffee Break Whatever GPT to see the ones I work. "save a little to save alot" is my motto!